The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Rejected Score For "Greenhouse Jungle"

Sheesh, even though I got the book at the time it came out it takes me three years to finally post the follow-up regarding this story! And only because I was watching "Greenhouse Jungle" tonight and couldn't help but think how Oliver Nelson's score really doesn't sound right for this episode. It's much too "up" for want of a better term and doesn't really fit the mood of the scenes of the fake kidnapping and plans etc.

Anyway, the composer originally hired to score this episode was Paul Glass, who wrote a score that was considered much too unconventional for the producers. In an interview, he explained that because Milland's character collected flowers and was such a "difficult person" that "I decided it would be a good idea to write a kind of concerto for heckelphone named so because it ws produced by the Czechoslovakian Heckel factory. This very strange-sounding low oboe was possibly the reason the producers didn't like the music."

So on short notice, Nelson was brought in instead, but I really wish they'd found a way to get Gil Melle back because this is the kind of episode that seems to call for a score more in his vein of S1 episodes as opposed to those that called for a Goldenberg style score.