The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: columbo gets mad

I like the roommate in A Stitch In Time: "She was other-directed I was inner -directed and I selfishly enjoy being with upper middle class people", etc. Columbo hasn't slept well and he's exhausted and the roommate is going a mile a minute.

Re: columbo gets mad

APK
Two of my favorite scenes are the scenes in a Stitch in Crime and Exercise when he loses his cool. If he got angry on a regular basis these scenes would not have stood out. Hey give the guy a break, he is a homicide detective in what was then the third largest city in the US. Not an easy occupation and one that was filled with a great deal of stress. He is entitled to show anger especially when two individual's lives are in peril.
I think that many of us would have "lost it" much worse than Columbo when dealing with slime like Mayfield and Janus.

The difference being of course that we're dissecting scripts involved in dealing with inventive and wealthy perpetrators, not the unpredictable and amoral actions of street drug users carrying loaded weapons.

We have to remember that we are analyzing a TV show, not the facts constructed around the notion of a real life. However, that sort of unbridled belief is the very reason why we all adore Hollywood-contrived characters like Columbo, ain't it? I mean, of what good would devotion be without it?