IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
former NOPF DN CO Leslie Skowronek CAPT (Ret) featured

I didn't serve with Capt Skowronek, but I was a Side Bouy during the Change of Command in 1991 when she took the helm from CDR Villareal. A few days later I transfered to Kef.
I had no idea anyone else in the "System" lived here in the NC mountains. It's really a small world.

Happy Veterans Day Y'all

Re: former NOPF DN CO Leslie Skowronek CAPT (Ret) featured

Lydia - I take it that you are somewhat in the vicinity of retired Capt. Skowronek. If you run into Leslie, please give her my regards.

I believe she was Ensign Skowronek in 1974 when she came aboard NavFac Bermuda. We had several new female officers in various capacities serving there at that time - most were OWO's with various collateral duties. I remember her fairly well - as I was the Divsion OPS LCPO at the time and then became the Command SCPO (74-77). If I recall correctly, then LTJG Skowronek became the ADMIN Officer and the Commanding Officer was CDR McClendon III. It was the only tour I served with her, but she certainly was a highly competent officer and administrator. Glad to see she is actively involved in various VSO's and other community organizations in her retirement.

Another female officer who was there at the same time was Ens. Debbie Gurness (not sure I have the spelling of her name correct) - and I recall being very active in her training as an OWO. I think she became the OPS Division Officer during that time period. She was also featured in a Navy Times front page story when she was selected to command a Naval ship - but I cannot recall exactly when that was, nor the name of the ship. (I should have saved that issue). After subscribing to Navy Times from 1963- 2011, I finally cancelled my subscription and "scuttled" every issue of Navy Times - 48 years worth.

The "System" was fortunate to have garnered the leadership and abilities of many of these women who had a lot to offer, both as individuals - and as Naval Officers. A few of them made it to the top.

On this Veteran's Day 2011, my hat is off to all those who have honorably served their country.

Hi Irv,

Just thought you'd like to know that Ensign Leslie Skowronek first reported aboard NAVFAC Bermuda in 1972. I was at the time a COSL Qualified OWO as an OT1 in section two and they assigned her to me for training and qualification.

Best Regards,

Denny

Denny - guess I am getting older and more absent minded by the day. I came aboard NavFac Bermuda (second tour) around May of 1974. I was thinking that Leslie came aboard after I did, but apparently was mistaken. At any rate, I am pretty sure she was an OWO at the time, maybe was later the ODIV officer - but pretty sure she was assigned as the ADMIN officer under command of CDR McClendon sometime in 1974. I cannot recall the name of the skipper that McClendon relieved, but I do remember the change of command. When did you leave BDA - before 1974??
Thanks for getting me back on course
Irv

Hi Irv,

I too have an occassional bought of CRS so no worries! I departed BDA in Jan 1973. CDR Frederick Lickfold, III was the CO at that time.

Denny

I first met ENS Skowronekwhen she was going thru the WO course in Key West. I later served with her in Hatteras when she was the OPSO, I was SEA and OPS CPO. She later took over as XO.She was a sharp oficer and a good person all the way around.
If you see her give her my best.
Marshall

She had to have been a great officer to have put up with me while she was the OPS Boss at Hatteras. It was a pleasure to have worked for her during that troubling time in my life.

Visits: