Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: In Your Seabag (TriCare)

Marshall and Chuck

I don't often comment on issues such as these, but here is what I have to offer, as best as I can recall about any written or oral "promises"/ contracts during my 23 years of service:

(1) I was told that "I", myself, would receive free medical and dental care for the rest of my life, providing I did 20 years or more of active duty, including any "constructive time". Nothing was ever promised to me regarding free medical or dental care for any dependents, just myself, as the retiree. I could be mistaken about the "dependents" aspect, but this is to the best of my recollection.

(2) I was "orally" assured of this commitment each time I reenlisted, but nothing was ever guaranteed to me in writing with regard to this promise.

(3) Following my retirement, I called to make a dental appointment at Plattsburg NY Air Force Base for
a service-connected dental condition. I was "shocked" to be told that the only thing I "qualifed for" as a retiree - was one annual check-up (on my birthday) at an MTF, on a space-available basis!!!. I have never received one penny of dental treatment since retirement. So much for my "free" dental care !!

(4) For 3 years following my retirement, I was unable to receive any medical care, whatsoever, (including any prescription medications) at the only military facilities within a 100 mile radius. I am, however, very thankful and grateful that I have since been able to use CHAMPUS/TRICARE to cover most medical expenses - and, after becoming eligible for MEDICARE at age 65, have virtually received the "free" medical care (promised during my career) - with the combined MEDICARE/TRICARE FOR LIFE coverage.

(5) The amounts currently being deducted from our Social Security benefits is a relatively small price to pay (for my wife and I), for excellent medical coverage - especially considering the extradorinary costs that others pay - in this day and age of skyrocketing medical costs.

I, for one, choose to "count my blessings" with regard to the benefits we have been afforded, the opportunity to have served my country with some of the best men and women it has to offer - and the continued prosperity and freedom we enjoy as Americans.

Best wishes to all ............Irv (Dee) DeMatties

Irv, I wholeheartedly agree with your item #5. Even with the talk of an annual fee for TFL it would not mean the difference between missing a meal or getting medical care. I think I am more fortunate than some of us retirees but certainly not more fortunate than most. The thing that worries me is that once they start paying down the deficit on the backs of Medicare and Medicaid there will be significant reimbersement cost reductions and we won't be able to find anyone to treat us. And, many of us are at an age where we have long term or permanent conditions. We won't be able to get any coverage we can afford and we will have to choose between a meal or many meas and medical care. Oral or written they have already broken their contract with us.

I too got no written obligation for anything in my seabag. I recall socks, underwear, those crappy shower shoes, and tags. In fact, I was the bonehead that had not removed all his tags prior to the first seabag inspect at Boot Camp, and I can still remember how they tasted and how it felt to swallow them.... My situation regarding medical care is maybe a little different than the "average" retiree. I settled in an area where the nearest military medical facility is over 5 hours away. Same with the commissary. I have TRICARE, but Prime is not available in my area. The nearest VA hospital is 75 miles. I live on the economy, and I do just fine. TRICARE Standard works for me, and I go to the VA for anything above and beyond earaches and stitches. My wife uses TRICARE exclusively. One of the earlier comments indicated that TRICARE didn't seem to pay much of his bills; we need to know that anytime a retiree has TRICARE and any other form of health insurance, TRICARE will ALWAYS be the secondary payer, so bear that in mind. Finally, I too have a concern when the bean counters start messing with our benefits, and would suggest the best way to keep them honest and protect ourselves is to actively let them know our feelings, ideally via personal letter. It is also a very good idea to become a member of one or more of the veteran service organizations out there who lobby on our behalf. American legion, VFW, DAV, AMVETS, etc. Their strength is in their numbers, and numbers equate to potential voters. The only thing more likely to get a politicians attention than a vote, is two votes. They listen to these organizations, and being a member can simply mean sending in dues or buying a life membership. You don't have to march, shoot guns at funerals or work the fish fry every Friday night. Just be a member, and you are supporting your fellow vets. We can ***** about what might happen, or we can act to make sure it doesn't happen. I prefer the active thing!

Rick - excellent perspective on the "whole shooting match". I kind of said my piece, earlier, but forgot to mention the part about belonging to the various VSO's - preferably voicing legitimate concerns in a courteous manner. But, just as you said, just being a member of one or more goes a long way in protecting the benefits we all enjoy.

Happy sailing..........Irv

Irv, got any extra clothes stops? I've misplaced mine.
Marshall

I haven't seen a cloths stop since Boot Camp. When I went through Seabag issue the guy in front of me got the last Flat Hat. Hope everyone is having a great day.
Terry

Marchall,
All my clothes stops were left frozen solid on a clothes line at Great Lakes, IL, December, 1965 at
-30 below.
CEC

Chuck, I think I was standing Dempsy Dumpster 0000-0200 watch the night that happened. In a snow storm no less. It was so cold out there a fire would never have lasted that night. Dumbest watch I ever stood. When did you start boot camp. Believe my first day was 11-9-65. Have my boot camp company book around somewhere.

Rick,
I was in Great Lakes about 1 month later, I boarded a bus on the way to the induction enter, 07 Dec 1965. That was a 2 hour ride then boarded a train to GL that was about an 8 hour trip.
Chuck

Marshall
Your really conjured up some old memories - with your inquiry about the "clothes stops" - of course, the new guys in the fleet would never have a clue what you are even talking about.

I have to admit, however, that I prefer our clothes dryer we have in our home to tying those square knots in the clothes stops - especially at the time when I went through boot in Great Lakes (January 14 '59).

we sometimes woke up with a coating of snow on our government issue wool blanket from the snow blowing through the cracks in those old wood barracks !! BRRRRRRRR!!

Nothing like sunny California !! Take care.....Irv

Visits: