IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Bermuda Cruise - May 2012

Linda and I are going on a Bermuda cruise with our youngest daughter (Jodi). She was born in Bermuda Dec of 1974, but has no recollection of the island, as she was only 3 years of age when we left Dec 77. We arrive in BDA Tues May 15 (10am) and leave Fri May 18 (2pm) aboard the Holland America MS Veendam. (I wonder if I can talk my way into a tour of the engine rooms and bridge??)

Was wondering if anyone who was stationed there has been back to visit in the past few years. I would like to know your experiences/recommendations on touring the various places on the island (taxi, bus, ferries, etc.) - Unable to ride the mopeds.

Any and all replies appreciated. If you want to e.mail me, please do so at: deelin@roadrunner.com

Thanks......Irv (Dee)

Re: Bermuda Cruise - May 2012

Hi Irv,

We've been back to BDA by cruise in 2010 aboard Celebrity's GTS Summit out of Bayonne, NJ and flew back for an 11 night stay in May 2011. We have made reservations to fly back again for a 12 night stay on June 6th.

For transportation around the island I recommend that you purchase four-day bus passes. They are good for the buses and the ferries. I have a few web sites that I'll recommend to you and some hard copy info if you're interested.

Currently in a rush to get out the door but get back to me at "denny.conrad@att.net" and I'll respond to you later via email or telephone if you provide me with your phone number.

If you've not been to Bermuda since the 1970s you'll notice alot is the same and alot has changed. Regardless, I believe you will truly enjoy the cruise and your visit to Bermuda.

Looking forward to your reply,

Denny

Denny -

Thanks for your response to my post on our planned visit to Bermuda. We have not been back since leaving in Dec of 1977. From there I went to recruiting duty in Burlington VT., then to COSP HI - and retired in 1981.

I sent you an e.mail and included all the details regarding our visit in May - but forgot to include my phone number. It is (518) 792-6830

Nice to hear from you............Irv

Dee,
You will really enjoy your cruise aboard Holland America Lines. My wife and I have sailed with them many times and the accommodations and service are always first class and perfect. Bermuda is on our list too.
Bill

Bill -

Thanks for your reply to my post. I would guess that you did a tour in Bermuda?? When were you there?

Glad to get good feedback on the Holland America cruise ship. When do you plan our doing your trip there?

Are you retired - still working? I'm assuming that you are on the IUSS Alumni roster as living in Ohio (ex OT2) correct??

Hi Dee,

I never served at NAVFAC Bermuda; it is just on my list of Holland America cruise destinations. I am retired now from teaching instrumental music in Ohio.

Best regards,
Bill Turner (former OT2)
KEF 69-70
COSL 70-72

Visits: