IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Military Retiree Dental

Now that I am retired (for the most part) and no longer eligible for my company dental coverage I need to find some dental coverage.

Does anyone out there have any recommendations? I've been on the BENEFEDS site and looked at the multiple plan options but was hoping for some "first hand" knowledge on the available plans.

Thanks in advance for any inputs that you may have.

Rick

Re: Military Retiree Dental

Rick, I signed up for Delta Dental through the DFAS option. Don't remember exactly how now, it's been about 10 years ago. :wink: Runs about $42 a month now and it's taken from your retired pay automatically. Coverage seems to be about the same as when working.

Delta got integrated with BENEFEDS a couple years ago. We’ve been happy with dental and vision coverage. I normally use the VA for vision but used BENEFEDS for the first time about a year ago and got a nice pair of shaded prescription sports glasses for Pickleball, at no charge. They were about $260 glasses.

Thank you Gents. That's 2 for 2 for Delta Dental. The three options that I have been looking at so for are: Delta Dental; GEHA and United Concordia.

Appreciate the inputs,
Rick

Switched to GEHA a couple years ago when Tricare dropped it. My wife and I have outstanding coverage.

Jerry,

Thank you. GEHA and Delta were the two recommendations for my dentist's office. But didn't know whether there recommendation was based on what was best for the patient or which plans paid the quickest (hence best for the dentist) :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

Hope all is well in West Virginia.

Rick

Rick, we're doing fine, still alive and kicking. Hope all is well with you. FYI, when Tricare decided to drop Delta Dental I had to start shopping for a new dentist. I was talking to the insurance rep at one of the dentists I was considering, and she recommended GEHA. Told me it was a cut above any other dental insurance they took. Yukie and I have been very happy with it. Good luck with your search!

Jerry,

Glad to hear all is well with you and appreciate your insight into dental insurance. Please tell Yukie that Namiko says hi.

Rick

I am using FEDVIP (federal employee dental vision insurance program) have since tricare dropped dental. Not to bad Cost for me and wife is $79/mo.

Dave,

Thank you for the recommendation. If you don't mind asking, which of the dental and vision plans did you go with?

Thanks,
Rick

Dental plans
FEDVIP dental plans provide comprehensive dental coverage, including preventive services covered at 100% when you use an in-network provider. There are no deductibles when using in-network dentists. Also, there is no waiting period for major services such as crowns, bridges, dentures, and implants. Under most plans, there is no 12-month waiting period or age limit for orthodontic coverage. Plan restrictions and limitations apply. Refer to individual plan brochures for the official statement of benefits.

Select a FEDVIP dental carrier below to view its plan brochures, provider networks, and contact information.

Nationwide/International
Aetna® Dental
Blue Cross Blue Shield® FEP Dental℠
Delta Dental®
GEHA® Connection Dental Federal
MetLife® Federal Dental Plan
United Concordia® Dental
UnitedHealthcare® Dental

Regional
Dominion® National
EmblemHealth® Dental
HealthPartners® Dental
Humana® Dental
Triple-S Salud®

Vision plans
FEDVIP vision plans provide comprehensive vision coverage, including routine eye exams and vision correction without a referral. Plans also include low vision exams, eyeglass frames and lenses, and contact lenses at many optometrist offices or optical retail stores. Also, there are lens options such as shatter-resistant polycarbonate, scratch-resistance solutions, anti-reflective solutions, UV coatings, tinted and progressive lenses, and discounts on laser eye surgery. Plan restrictions and limitations apply. Refer to individual plan brochures for the official statement of benefits.

Select a FEDVIP vision carrier below to view its plan brochures, provider networks, and contact information.

Nationwide/International
Aetna Vision℠ Preferred
Blue Cross Blue Shield® FEP Vision℠
MetLife® Federal Vision Plan
UnitedHealthcare® Vision
VSP® Vision Care

Delta Dental
Standard PPO Nationwide/International
Vision is VSP High

Dave,

Thank you for the additional info. Every bit helps me with making my decision.

Rick

I’ve been with BENEFEDS for a number of years now. I’m quite satisfied with them and recommend them. Feel free to email me if you have specific questions and I will answer them for you.

Visits: