Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: CUS Message Announcing Ed Smock's Passing

Here is the Commodore's message in text (and paragraphed) in case people have trouble with the image. I apologize in advance for any typos, i did go through it several times ot make sure i had it right but Murphy, ya know?

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Subject: Loss of OTCM (RET) Ed Smock

It is with the utmost sadness and sympathy that I must inform the IUSS community that our treasured legacy, Ocean Technician Master Chief (RET) Edwin (Ed) K. Smock passed away peacefully at home Tuesday morning, July 18, 2023.

Ed's career in what is now IUSS began with his graduation of Sound Search School in 1954 and continued through the next 69 years until deteriorating health issues forced him away from his console in June of this year. Ed's lifelong contributions to, as he called it, "Our System", ensured IUSS was, and always will be, a critical capability supporting the United States Navy's mission of protecting our nation's security and freedom. His support to the Navy and IUSS for 21 years in uniform followed by another five decades as a civilian analyst, provided an immeasurable positive impact to generations of sailors, IUSS professionals and the equipment we operate today.

It is with complete certainty that upon this sad time, Ed would want us to get back to our displays, walk the beams, and do the job with an intensity and passion he freely gave to "Our System" every day of his long and valued life.

One of Ed’s many lasting gifts to IUSS is a nearly 400 page book chronicling the history and events that shaped the IUSS of today. As Ed was heard frequently saying "the system is not the equipment, it is the people". With that in mind, please keep the Smock family in your thoughts and prayers. Remembrance service and funeral details will be provided when made available.

Commodore Steven Faulk sends

Re: CUS Message Announcing Ed Smock's Passing

Thanks for sending the Commodore's message. Your initial message showed only a 1/4 inch blue square with a question mark inside. I pounced on it numerous time with no response. No apology was expected. Computers are still mystical and magical to me as ever! Thanks for all you do for us common crows who look upward with admiration and esteem to the eagles soaring above.

Visits: