IUSSCAA Wallpapers
Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
IUSS Longevity Recognition

I was catching up on recent posts on the site, especially those announcing Ed Smock’s passing and had a thought (doesn’t happen often according to my wife). Has anyone thought about developing a recognition plaque or trophy to be passed onto the longest serving veteran within IUSS? Kinda like the Old Crow Plaques and such. We could call it the “Smokey” or The Ed Smock Award” or whatever. What I’m thinking is it would be passed onto the next in line after each holder’s passing. Or, it could be a plaque at CUS with names engraved on it. Just a thought in view of Ed’s passing. What do y’all think?

Re: IUSS Longevity Recognition

John, a very good idea but a sensitive issue perhaps. I’m not sure I would want to be “pedestalled” as one of the Oldest IUSS Sailors” (like a bottle of catsup suggesting an expiration date). Perhaps, a listing of five or ten oldest “IUSS Ancient Mariners”, their service units and dates of service would be appropriate. But what do I know. Let’s hope for a few more opinions on this subject!

Sorry cannot agree. Ed was easy to verify as he was still connected to IUSS; but there are too many with long associations with IUSS that are now retired , tough to verify. Hard to establish criteria as to what constitutes system associated time, etc. Would just open a can of worms me thinks. Ekd

Agree with Ben and EKD.

J

Yeah, have to agree also....as much as all of us would like to honor Ed's memory, this probably wouldnt be the way to go..my 2 cents...

A nice idea, John, but aside from the verification issue already pointed out, I think it would be a bit insensitive to have to ask someone's surviving spouse to "please ship the plaque to this address:" They're likely dealing with a lot of pain and that certainly wouldn't help.

Didn’t think about that. Never mind, bad idea.

John, you succeeded in initiating discussion of an interesting subject which is the purpose of the IUSS Message Board. BZ!!!

Nice of you to think of this and of Ed Smock, John. But I believe the CAPT Joseph P. Kelly Award for Lifetime Achievement in the IUSS, of which Smokie was a recipient, adequately honors System folks with significant, lengthy service.

- Jim Donovan

I agree. It was a poorly thought out idea on my part.

Visits: