The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
suitable for framing

i love this episode but i wonder why it does not get mentioned much on here!!! would love to know if anyone of you columboholics also like the episode!!!!

Re: suitable for framing

It is certainly one of the best episodes. It has all of the classic elements that made Columbo great, including the "caught red handed" ending.

The key element to a great episode is a great villain. Watching Columbo pick apart Dale Kingstonan is great fun.

One thing about Columbo favorites is there is a wide range of opinion on this.

Some rave about Any Old Port, and I don't like that one at all, I've heard people trash "Undercover" but I really liked it. SFF was a perfect Columbo episode and you're right it is rarely mentioned here. I don't recall anyone ever bringing it up.

Actually watched this a few days ago, i really like it and an surprised it doesn't get many mentions here.

Re: Re: suitable for framing

I've always liked "Undercover," which could almost be called high praise, because I've always had a hard time really liking episodes of the later Columbo. Among other things, it has such a great ending - Columbo not joining the others because he wants to walk his dog!
I've always liked Suitable For Framing. Not only was Ross Martin great in it, but it had so many character actors (Vic Tayback, Sandra Gould, Mary Wickes), and big veteran movie actors (Don Ameche, Kim Hunter).
I've said this before, but even though Dale isn't one of the more "sympathetic" murderers, the ending is kind of an exception to that. The way he says "You - touched them?" in that breathless voice always makes me feel sorry for him.

Yeah, it's a good episode ... Inspector Henderson and all. It's an ironic one for me too, because I had developed such an admiration for Ross Martin as Artemus Gordon over the years, that I still can't reconcile the contempt I have for him as Dale King-of-rats-ton. It's the hallmark of a great character actor, but as Grant made clear, he was in good company.

This is one of my favorite episodes. I never seemed to notice it getting neglected here...I always thought that it was generally regarded by most to be one of the best...definitely the best episode Jackson Gillis ever contributed. I don't know what happened, but Gillis was never able to repeat his success with "Suitable for Framing" in any of his other episodes. Compare "Suitable for Framing" (his first) with "Last Salute to the Commodore" (his last).

Re: Re: suitable for framing

Lots of people seem to want to second guess the writers and suggest what the murderers should have done, but there needs to be a flaw that more or less the viewers can "buy into" for Columbo to solve the case or catch the culprit.

Of course in this case, like many others, Columbo springs a trap we don't necessarily see when he sets it in motion.

I rerun many episodes after an appropiate hiatus. This episode continues to be entertaining.

I for one think the best trap concocted was the turnaround on Johnny Cash, where Columbo, convincing him, that he, Cash, (Johnny Brown) was the intended victim and he needed to find that thermos, hence the fake call-out of the scouts, etc. to comb the area.

I think that this was a more entertaining and esoteric trap (in Swan Song), than the trap here in "Framing". But every episode needs to be different, not simply a change of names and locations.

Sure a very good episode from the early years. Clever trap from Columbo with the fingerprint investigation

Was this the episode where Columbo carefully considers air conditioning vent as an object of fine art?

Re: suitable for framing: Vent

Was this the episode where Columbo carefully considers the air conditioning vent as an object of fine art?

The "vent as art" episode was actually Playback. The two episodes are easy to mix up, because both killers use an art exhibit as their alibi. And they both wear watches and explicitly make it a point to ask witnesses for the correct time.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0072805/quotes/?tab=qt&ref_=tt_trv_qu