The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
LIARS!

I just watched a couple of episodes from Season Six and Seven.

I noticed that in two episodes that people Columbo talked to either lied or withheld information.

In Catch Me the character of Veronica does not tell Columbo about the keys to Edmunds to the car. In the Murder Under Glass the two remaining memebers of the Restaurant Developers Association say nothing to Columbo about the victim's on going dispute with the critic/murderer. In fact one of them lies to Columbo.

I can only think of two other episodes where a 'witness' withholds info. In Agenda the congressman does not tell Columbo what he knows. The butler says nothing to Columbo in the episode that takes place in England.

(Mrs. La Sanka doesn't count I guess, because Columbo never talked to her.)

So my questions are these:

What other episodes do we see witnesses blatantly lying or withholding info from Columbo?

And what do we think happened to those witnesses who lied or withheld info?

We know that the butler was killed in the English story, and I assume that the Congressman withdrew from the VP spot in Agenda. But what about the restaurant people and Veronica? In both cases the murderer admits to the killing. If there was going to be a trial we could imagine that Veronic and the restaurant people would be called in as witnesses. But say there was no trial. Would Columbo pursue the matter of their lying later on? I can't see how he could just let it go, even a 'nice guy' like Columbo, especially the Columbo of the Sixth and Seventh Seasons. Did Columbo go back and charge them with something like being perjury or something like that? Obstructing justice? They were not under oath so I guess obstructing would be the charge.

Also, I do like this site. There are so few who use the forum, and the real Bryce comes up with nice posts. I hate to see anyone leave it because of someone else. It almost is like the name napper has won. Its an odd situation.

Re: LIARS!

I believe Abigail makes a comment on how Veronica will flee as soon as she hears about her (Abigail) being arrested. She was still on the cruise ship when Columbo took Abigail off and Columbo at that point had no reason to detain Veronica as a material witness.

How different! In the italian version abigail says veronica would criticize her a lot (about the murder).

Edna's brother promises not to make trouble if Columbo lets him go with him to see Tommy, but then as soon as Tommy says a word to him he punches him out.