The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Odd observations

I always enjoy finding new oddities, and wonder if anyone has noticed, or finds these odd as well.

In A Case of Immunity, Rachman Habib's driver's license has a birth date of 1-2-18, and the actor playing him (Sal Mineo) was actually born in 1939. As it was 1975, the character Habib was clearly not 57 years old. Found that odd, or have I read something wrong??

In An Exercise in Fatality, when they are showing Gene Stafford with the weight on him in the gym, there is a man standing in his underwear (in the background) looking at the spectacle presumably from the men's change room. I would assume that because there is a dead body being investigated with police crawling all around, the gym would be closed temporarily for members while the investigation is underway, and certainly while they still have a dead body there. Just found it odd that they would place an extra in the scene in his underwear as if he was getting ready to use the gym.

Love finding these little odd things after watching the episodes so many times. I guess that's another one of the things that makes repeated viewing still so enjoyable.

Re: Odd observations

excellent observations Irene...ones I will look for...Habib was most certainly not that age....

I guess there's a gaffe as well when Patrick O'Neal shows his license in Blueprint to an officer...it's apparently Columbo's ID...I keep forgetting to look for that...though it's not one of my fave episodes..so I don't get to it much.

Oddly...the other day Rebel Without a Cause was on...and all I could think of was...hey...that's Rachman Habib when he was younger...(56 maybe??...lol)

I didn't know that about Blueprint, but now I'll watch for it, thanks Stefan! That will be the next one I watch now.

yes Irene...it's the scene where he gets pulled over with the body in the trunk...apparently he tried to hide Falk's pic with his thumb...

Also, anyone notice how in An Exercise In Fatality that although Milo raises Gene's left arm to be holding the bar bell, he doesn't touch his right hand to it at all. Had the police fingerprinted the bar bell, they would've noticed this major inconsistency. I mean who would attempt to bench-press that much weight with just one arm? It's an immediate red flag.

Also, in The Most Dangerous Match, when Clayton slithers back into Dudek's hotel room in order to plant the prescription bottles, as he's walking through the hall, you can briefly see one of the crew members seated in an adjacent room through the reflection on a mirror.

There's more but that's all I can think of right now.

what I love about this site...we can throw names like Dudek and Gene Stafford around and we all know who they are....I honestly thought I was the only guy out there..lol
As for your points about the show and its merits Michael..I couldn't agree more...such a great combination of "things"...and now knowing how Falk fought tooth and nail for the show makes it even more enjoyable...over budget etc...a stickler for quality making the suits tremble...love it

I often wonder how Columbo would fare in the new age of technology...the web..texting...facebook etc...a whole new world of clues...not necessarily for the better...but still...

great point about the prints on the bar btw..

Thanks for the compliment. The atmosphere captured in the early episodes of 70's America (not to mention Mexico and England) simply cannot be substituted with the modern. It's readily apparent how the post-70's Columbo episodes lacked the warm feeling and nuance. Not to say that they're bad, just not of the same standard of quality. His presence in the newer episodes is more abstract, almost an applied gimmick, like a fish out of water. Columbo was truly a product of the 70's.

As for how Columbo would fare in this day and age, that could be its own dedicated thread, but I'll summarize my thoughts. In today's crime dramas, everyone is dependent upon technology to do the work, work which used to require manpower, thinking skills and social skills, such as how Columbo would have to lull the murderers into a false sense of security in order to make them reveal pertinent details.

Please share your thoughts, and thanks for the reply.

I couldn't agree more about ur assessment of the 70's episodes....the newer ones did use the character almost in self parody...the atmosphere almost gone....
but as I've stated before it's a testament to Falk that it didn't happen sooner..I mean how many times can you fumble through your raincoat, scratch your head, say "one more thing" or "tie up the loose ends" and make it appear fresh...remember that Columbo is almost purely formulaic and for him to pull it off over and over is astounding...it must of been very difficult as an actor to make the same thing somehow different without becoming parody...not to mention that for fans like us we can watch multiple episodes, that we've seen, and watch them in succession and still it doesn't get old....in the 70's you could only watch WHEN it was on...appointment TV...if you REALLY think about that, it's an incredible feat.
As for technology, I wonder how he would have used it....could you imagine him fumbling thru cell phone records...
this sums it up..
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSyeQH15evw

You're right in that the character/show is formulaic, but that alone doesn't make the characters one-dimensional, as the 70's episodes attest (well, most of them). We watch them multiple times for a reason, despite the formula, because it's intriguing to watch the interplay between characters, the rapport with the murderer, the way Columbo keeps them on their toes, often forcing them to improvise on the spot, sometimes make a critical mistake. By far one of the most fascinating, crucial aspects of the show is watching the criminal inevitably at wit's end, having to deal with Columbo's antics, his methodical harassment. Having top-notch actors doing the parts certainly helps.

Contemporary shows just feel artificial by comparison, having no longevity, unremarkable scenarios, and are not infrequently littered with ulterior agendas on the part of the network execs (e.g. to normalize some rights-eroding police/surveillance tactic) or some militarized SWAT team escapades against boogeyman terrorists, kingpin drug dealers, token spies, and so forth. How am I supposed to relate to such foolishness? Paramilitary federal agents swooping into every situation as if America were a war zone. Gee, that's wonderful. Sorry if I sound pessimistic but seriously, how can anyone relate to that garbage?

For the record, when I say formulaic, I don't mean it as a put down, in fact my point is as you attest, how brilliant the show is, despite the formula...which I'm sure was extremely difficult to pull off time and time again...yet they did.....

To me this show reminds me of the 70's more than any other. It gives me a sense of nostalgia unlike any other. I think this is likely because it was my favorite show growing up in the 70's, watching every episode as it appeared on Sunday night.

Yes, I agree, I couldn't have said it better. I can remember as a kid when the Sunday night mystery movie was about to start and you didn't know which of the detective characters it was going to be that week, and the anticipation to see if it was going to be Columbo. And you're so right Peter, no other shows bring back the fond memories of the 70's like Columbo, from the shag carpets, the clothes in episodes like Lady in Waiting, the restaurant stands, every bit of it. It's great to see others finding that same enjoyment for so many of the same reasons.

I used to love watching it after the 4pm NBC NFL Broadcast. Miss this show along with the late great NBC play by play announcers Curt Gowdy and Charlie Jones. If any of you are NFL fans I'm sure you could relate

Loved Curt Gowdy, but hsi color commentator may have been the best ever. Remember Al DeRogatis?

Peter, on the day of the NFL draft it is nice to hear from an NFL fan! The NFL(and NCAA football) and Columbo what more do you need in life! Probably as to why The Most Crucial Game is my Favorite episode.
This would be the night in which a GM does murder an owner. I could think of some owners that would be on the chopping block.
I do not remember the commentator you mentioned although I'm sure I watched games with him in the booth.I guess Gowdy rules! Ah those memories

I am watching Rest In Peace Mrs Columbo, where he has a bad tooth when he eats some ice cream thing.....the next episode Uneasy Lies The Crown made a month later he gets his tooth fixed.

End let's not forgot the opening musical theme with the guy walking outside with the flashlight!

I noticed last night while watching Deadly State of Mind that the sign on Dr. Borden's office door reads "Anita Borden D.V.M." followed by another set of initials. Apparently Dr. Collier's assistant is a vet! Even though she works with all those mice and rabbits, this somehow surprised me.

I definitely agree with Michael. No matter how believable all that technology is, I just don't need to see it in a detective show. Also, apart from war stories and a very few others, I just can't get into stories with "teams," no matter how hard they try to make the characters individuals. Thank heaven the first version of COLUMBO didn't go in for that, as opposed to having characters like Sergeant Kramers and Sergeant Wilson and so on (which was never really the same thing).

Where did the parents go? In the episode about the military academy hundreds of guests come for the Founder's Day event. Then the gun explodes and they leave. Life goes on at the academy as if it was any other day. Rumford cancelled all other celebration activities, true - so we can assume time for parents and cadets had been planned. But regardless of cancellation or not I would think that if the families travelled to the event they would have remained and at least spend some time with their cadets. In fact wouldn't Rumford want that - the cadets just witnessed a gross tragedy and would need to spend time with the families, if not for anything but comfort. What makes this even odder is that we then see the cadets drilling, running, as if nothing happened. Rumford cancels the special events so then the cadets go to a regular routine? Unlikely.

More odd is that everyone on campus is incredibly unaffected by the explosion. Personally, if I saw someone blown away in such a way I might not juggle apples during lunch, or be able to march very well. Essentially I would not be able to do much of anything except talk about the accident. We see no sadness, no solemnity after the chapel scene. Its all very odd, but still great TV.

Re: Odd observations: Dawn's Early Light

Good Observations!

I've been taking advantage of this site below to view the cannon before & after. They did a good job blackening it and making one wheel look like it sunk into the platform:

http://columboscreenshots.blogspot.com/2014/04/columbo-28-by-dawns-early-light-1974_7656.html

But wouldn't the cannon and stand probably have sustained more damage? I mean, the explosion was bad enough to kill someone. Wouldn't the wheels have been blown off? I know they weren't going to totally destroy the Citadel's cannon and stand, so I'm light and forgiving in my criticism, but just wondering. Or... "observing" to keep in theme with the original post :smiley:

It does look like the same (doctored) cannon in the same location. Did they just use "Hollywood magic" (in South Carolina) to discolor the cannon? I'm doubting they replaced it, because it does look like the same gun. How did they get one wheel to drive itself into the platform? The platform doesn't look altered, in close-up photos that I'm sure they never thought would be seen.

It's funny that 50 years ago, producers certainly never thought we'd be freeze-framing and zooming in on "Frank Columbo" badges or Citadel Cannons, but still, I think the show has done a nice job on details, to authenticate themselves!