The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Old Fashioned Murder

Watched this again for the umpteenth time, and just wonder why the one person who was the real downfall of her life's happiness - her sister - was the only person she didn't kill or implicate (as she did her niece). I guess you could argue she was taking away everyone her sister loved, but she would still have to live with the annoying woman if she herself hadn't been caught. Her niece loved her so much, I find it hard to believe she would have wanted her to end up in prison for something she didn't do.

Also, one flaw in the story is that her brother would not have had gun shot residue on his hands, and that would have been caught in the investigation.

Thoughts???

Re: Old Fashioned Murder

I have mixed feelings bout that too, though I'm glad that SOMETHING caused Janie to get arrested, because it led to that great scene in the cell, with the "ashtray." But it would be even better some other way, without the frame-up by Ruth. So like you, I have kind of a problem with that.

I agree, the cell scene was great. Thanks for the feedback!!

One strange little piece of trivia. Tim O'Connor appeared in two episodes this one and Double Shock and in both of those episodes at some point his character is doing an inventory of rare antiquities.

that's awesome. :-)

I just saw DOUBLE SHOCK again, and I noticed a further one, since they each have someone mistaking an art object for an ashtray. In OLD-FASHIONED MURDER it's Janie of course, and in DOUBLE SHOCK it's Columbo himself.

this is one of my least fave episodes....and full of "holes" as you describe Irene...plus the Celeste Holme character passing out is simply too over the top for me....
I do however like the "tone" of the episode and Joyce Van Patten plays the character with fine restraint...

We are on the same page!

I just watched this yesterday, and my two takewaways were "no gunshot residue on either victim's hands", and didn't make sense she would implicate the Neice, who she seemed to care for dearly, "like her own daughter" she said.

I guess Ruth was both desperate and evil!