The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Swan Song

This time some comments about Swan Song:
- I'm not a fan of Johnny Cash music, and I know nothing about it, but were this song "I saw a light" written especially for purpose of Columbo? Or was it some famous song of him?
- I guess there was really a small chance that he can land with his parachute exactly in the place where the plane crashed
- in "Double Esposure" it is said that Columbo makes shopping for the family, and he agreed, but here when he speaks with Vito Scotti
about funerals he says that his wife makes all the shopping. But maybe it was just a way to get rid of this guy in a kind way
- this Jeff guy from Bakersfield airport annoys me a little :)
- they speak about Korean Was and what they were doing back then. And the conversation goes like this: "no kidding, let me guess what you were in: M.P, - K.P, mostly". What do this shortcuts mean?
- the seamstress lady beats Columbo a little with his own weapon, by talking too much :) And when she opens this cabinet, the movie is in fast motion on this couple of seconds in my opinion
- Tommy has his leg in this gypsum thing, how is he able to drive a car then?

Re: Swan Song

I'm not a veteran, but KP refers to kitchen duty. It's considered a pretty bad job, going by military comedies (which is the only way I know the subject).

Johnny Cash was very popular in the 70's. I'm a bit surprised he played a character that was interested in under aged girls ( Mary Anne and the student he was giving lessons to )

"I Saw the Light" was a song made famous by Country Western Legend Hank Williams, I believe in the 1940s or 50s.

quid_quo_pro
"I Saw the Light" was a song made famous by Country Western Legend Hank Williams, I believe in the 1940s or 50s.
I think it's based on a Christian hymn

Bruce,

You made me look!

Looks like it was written by Hank W. upon awaking from a drunken stupor.

"His mother, Lilly, drove him and the band back to Montgomery that night. As she was approaching the city, she spotted the lights of Dannelly Field Airport. Williams, who slept inebriated in the backseat of the car, was roused by his mother, who told him "I just saw the light", announcing to him that they were close to Montgomery."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Saw_the_Light_(Hank_Williams_song)

A bit of a Colombo connection...the first Hank Williams biopic starred a very young George Hamilton.