The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Negative Reaction

I think Paul Galesko is supposed to be the typical hen-pecked husband and when he reacts strongly by smashing his fist down on the table, Frances is a little shocked at his rare act of aggression.

Galesko acted like he had big plans for Lorna, as most men would. She also seemed to admire him very much and, once they were in the Phillipines, I imagine that he would start spending a lot of (his late wife's) money on her. And it all would have worked if it wasn't for that pesky Lieutenant.

In America, a hearse is a vehicle that transports bodies and caskets. However, the recently deceased that die outside of the hospital are usually taken by ambulance to the hospital for processing first.

Regarding the Ukraine, it may not have been a separate, independent political state, but I believe people would still refer to the region, similar to tourists saying that they are going to visit "Ireland", without specifying the Irish Republic or Northern Ireland (UK).

Regarding the "gotcha" moment, I think it works because Columbo was constantly pestering and badgering Galesko all episode. When Columbo "accidentally" reversed the image, after destroying the original, Galesko felt like Columbo was forging evidence to frame him: "No Sir, this is the correct image.....I'LL TESTIFY TO THAT!" I think that unnerved Galesko and he wasn't thinking at his best. He saw a quick way to beat Columbo using his knowledge of cameras. At least that's what he thought. Once again, the Lieutenant was underestimated.

I love this episode, and I crack up at how poorly Columbo behaves at funerals. He kept clicking pictures at inopportune times. He also disrupted Vittorio's funeral and some others that I can't remember offhand. For a normally well-behaved character, he is disrespectful of the grieving.

Another horrible thing Columbo does is show Galesko the pictures that he took at the funeral and inadvertently slips one in there of the man's dead wife. Galesko is supposed to be grieving for Frances, and Columbo shows him a photo of her tied up and terrified before being murdered. Yikes! Of course it didn't bother Galesko who actually took the picture before committing murder, but it was still inappropriate.