The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Now You See Him

Regarding the scene where Columbo has Santini escape the cuffs. During a magician's act, they will sometimes escape several locks or need to access a locked something using only "magic". Thus, they will usually have a lockpick or piece of wire hidden upon their person. It's the same thing with a coin or card or any other item that they pull out of thin air. Santini was just being prepared.

If I went to a magic show and a police officer (especially one that looked like Columbo) got up and publicly challenged the magician with "specially made escape-proof handcuffs" that he just happened to have on him, I'd assume it was all part of the act and that the cuffs were fake.

It tells you something about Santini's ego: Knowing that Columbo suspected him, he still couldn't resist proving his skill with lock picking.

When that old man recognized you last year, didn't I give you the money to keep him quiet?". I don't understand.. Why should Jerome give money to Santini to keep some guy quiet? I would rather think that he gave money to the guy to keep his mouth shut. It makes no sense for me

He's gave Santini money, that Santini then gave to the blackmailer. The blackmailer probably didn't want anyone else to know; Blackmail is a crime too. So the money had to come directly from Santini.

Jerome was going to unmask Santini. And what would be his plans for later if Santini is not there anymore?

Jerome would find another magician to take Santini's place .

"when Santini makes his first performance, there is one thing which always bothers me. He takes a red scarf/bandana/napkin (I don't know the proper English word),
and suddenly some jar with flowers appears on the table. So for us as a viewers it is a nice tricks. But what about the people who sat
behind him and could clearly see how he makes his trick?"

If you watch that scene closely, the lady to the right of the picture is clearly holding the vase of flowers below the table. For a very brief moment you just catch a glimpse of it.

When Santini waves the cloth and holds it over the centre of the table you can clearly see the lady lift the vase up and place it behind the cloth. Watch her eyes and head move as she does so and see her arm change position.

You are right though, anyone looking from any angle other than ahead would easily spot how that trick was done either without the female assistant.

My question is this:
How can he make so much money at a club that seats less than one hundred?

I guess he's supposed to be world renowned. The David Copperfield of his day therefore he makes the real money on his tours and in bigger stages.

A bit like big bands or comedians who still perform warm up gigs at smaller, more intimate venues.

That would be my guess.