The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Funniest Killers

Agreed, and to that list I would add William Shatner, especially in "Fade In to Murder," in those hypothetical conversations where Shatner speaks as his fictional detective character analyzing his own crime, and at the end, when he laments, "Lieutenant, you would do me a very great favor if you stop calling me SIR."

Roddy McDowall was a very funny killer, at several points and especially at the end of Short Fuse.

I'd go with Joe Devlin (played by the incomparable Clive Revill), although his humor might better be described as wit.

Speaking of dry wit, Leslie Williams has it.
Columbo: "My wife says to me, 'You can really be a pain.' You know what I mean?"
Leslie: "I get the general picture."

I know that I’m combining characters, but Jack Cassidy had some great lines which may even have been ad-libbed. In Publish or Perish, after Columbo tells Riley Greenleaf that “this man is a locksmith”, Greenleaf sarcastically replies: “Hooray”.

I also love the line in Murder By The Book when Columbo says: “I was in the neighborhood” and Ken Franklin replies: “You’re always in the neighborhood!” He also tells Columbo to continue his theory “as boring as it is”.