The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: The Conspirators

John
This has always been one of my favorite episodes, so I'll try to answer a few of your questions, Matti.

- Kerry is some sort of underling for Devlin. There may have been some family connection between the two back in Ireland (his parents knew Devlin's parents or the O'Connells. Devlin and the O'Connells "rescue" poor Kerry from the bad streets of Belfast, but he manages to help them out doing various things like following gun dealers on his motorcycle and looking for clues on TV guides.

- The book in the pocket has always bothered me, too.
- Back to the TV Guide - Devlin said he grabbed EVERY scrap of paper in that room. We are to assume (aside from the book) that means EVERYTHING, including Pauley's TV Guide. Kerry simply did a bit of detective work.
- The visit to the hotel: Devlin was bothered by the writing on the book and wanted to speak to Columbo, in an effort to make himself seem less suspicious. I think we can assume he phoned the police headquarters or some such thing and perhaps they directed him to the hotel.
- Weightlifting - Weightlifting concepts were a big deal back in the 70's and 80's. Not necessarily bodybuilding, just feats of strength (deadlift, clean and jerk, bench press, etc.). The mention of needlepoint fits in with a former 1960's-70's NFL player, Rosey Grier, a huge lineman who was well-known as someone who did needlepoint, thus showing a man could be tough and tender at the same time.
- Darts - I don't play, but I've read from several different sites that the scoring for that was incorrect.
- I don't see how Columbo could see Devlin in the Captain's window, either. Especially with only one eye!
- Radio Shows: Yes, radio shows did (and some still do) have numbers to call. They usually have a screener who takes the call and puts the caller in a queue. I don't think they showed what would have been the entire conversation between Columbo and the screener, so I've always assumed Columbo told them a bit about himself or his question and they found it so interesting, they put him up at the front of the line.

I know many are critical of this episode as a failed attempt at doing a "politically" centered theme (IRA), the "bogus" Irish accents, etc. I've always enjoyed the episodes where the producers (and Falk, too) tried to stretch the character. It reveals quite a bit about the depth of Columbo's prowess. He's able to solve crimes on ships, crimes in England, crimes in Mexico, crimes in LA, crimes by conductors, photographers, singers and operatives. Why not tackle an IRA gunrunner?

Aside from Devlin's pithy remarks throughout the film (Q: "What's going down?" Devlin Answer: "The world. In terminal descent."), I've always thought Clive Revill's performance is terrific. He's easily one of the most talented performers to ever guest on Columbo. The extended screen time shared between Revill and Falk drives the episode and highlights the talents of both. L.Q. Jones is also great as the sly "middleman" who happens to sell RVs.
With regards to Devlin showing up at the hotel room, I always thought Devlin went there to research the room because he didn't find what he was looking for in all the papers that he took after he killed Mr. Pauley. Upon entering the room, Columbo was there and Devlin had to do some fast thinking to explain his presence at the murder scene and quickly came up with the story about the writing in the book.

Ah! Brett, you may be right. I'll have to watch it again, but that would explain his presence. Not sure how he would have been able to just walk right in, however, as I would think it would still be a police crime scene. As a counter to that, though, is the fact that we don't see any tape up around the door, etc. The body outline, however, is still visible on the floor and Columbo is going there regularly. Plus, Devlin says to him, "I remember now, it (the "Ourselves Alone") was already there."

The team is much more reliable and competent than previous developers, and their work has resulted in a much better website. brand design company

This post was a great read, providing
a well-rounded overview of the topic with valuable insights and practical takeaways.

The team led a smooth collaboration thanks to their professionalism, valuable suggestions, and regular communication. interaction design agency