The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murder, Smoke and Shadows

One of the better of the "new" episodes. This is not surprising, as it was directed by James Frawley, who also directed "Try and Catch Me" and "How to Dial a Murder", among his 6 appearances in the series. The music, by Patrick Williams, is also unique and top notch.

- Youngest Killer: Not sure about the age of Alex, but I think he's comparable in years (character-wise, not necessarily actor-wise) to Justin and Vanessa in "Columbo Likes the Nightlife" and Beth Chadwick in "Lady in Waiting". The youngest, however, were the college boys, Justin and Cooper, in "Columbo Goes to College".

- Knowing Scene of Crime: I think once Columbo found the ticket for the studio tour in Lenny's pocket and Alex's phone number on the book, he knew the murder took place on studio property. It certainly didn't happen on the beach.

- Cleaning the Car: One of his idiosyncrasies. He looks at the beautiful car and then his (which he's always proud of) and realizes, in his mind, that it needs a "little" cleaning up to look just as nice as the other car. Or maybe he's just being a smart aleck!

- Fence Scene: always liked this one. Shows Alex's ability to manipulate - a key element in his character's downfall. Also gives some valuable insight to how film actually works. ("Step away from the fence and you lose your light." - an acting no-no)

- Mr. Marosco: he's angry at Alex because he asked him for one simple favor - give him a picture by Easter - and Alex pooh-pooh's him. When Alex looks for some consideration, Marosco, who's had it with him by this time, tells him to go pound salt. Again, it's Alex's arrogant manipulating of people which proves his downfall. Marosco has been manipulated by him in the past and is finally tired of it.

- Restaurant: Yeah, that's a good point. How COULD he know when and where Columbo was going to be. And the fact that the girls had this entire conversation planned out. And the security guard was in on it and had to be there, too. (Do they normally have a security guard on duty at that restaurant? Wouldn't someone notice he wasn't a real security guard?)

Yes that makes a sense! I never thought about a fact that fake security guy would be suspicious for all the other people! About murder scene probably you are also right. and you are totally right about Justin and Cooper, and Justin and Vanessa! I forgot about them. I'd say Beth Chadwick could be older

They guided a thoughtful process which resulted in high-quality results. brand management agency

The team accurately estimated the budget, deadlines, and resources throughout the project. interactive design agencies