The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Odd observations: Dawn's Early Light

Good Observations!

I've been taking advantage of this site below to view the cannon before & after. They did a good job blackening it and making one wheel look like it sunk into the platform:

http://columboscreenshots.blogspot.com/2014/04/columbo-28-by-dawns-early-light-1974_7656.html

But wouldn't the cannon and stand probably have sustained more damage? I mean, the explosion was bad enough to kill someone. Wouldn't the wheels have been blown off? I know they weren't going to totally destroy the Citadel's cannon and stand, so I'm light and forgiving in my criticism, but just wondering. Or... "observing" to keep in theme with the original post :smiley:

It does look like the same (doctored) cannon in the same location. Did they just use "Hollywood magic" (in South Carolina) to discolor the cannon? I'm doubting they replaced it, because it does look like the same gun. How did they get one wheel to drive itself into the platform? The platform doesn't look altered, in close-up photos that I'm sure they never thought would be seen.

It's funny that 50 years ago, producers certainly never thought we'd be freeze-framing and zooming in on "Frank Columbo" badges or Citadel Cannons, but still, I think the show has done a nice job on details, to authenticate themselves!