The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murder Under Glass. Something missing?

J. Wilton Jones
Columbo absolutely lets Paul Gerard know he is suspicious right from the begining. When they are leaving the restaurant on the night of the murder, Columbo says out of the blue...."I'm not gonna let you get away with it".

The context was I'm not gonna let you get away without giving me the recipe, but that statement didn't really fit the situation and anyone who has just committed murder is going to feel very uncomfortable with the lead detective saying out of the blue...."I'm not gonna let you get away with it".

Columbo always make the killer feel uncomfortable with these kind of remarks.
The italian version of this exchange is even better imo cause he said "mi dispiace, ma proprio non posso lasciarla in libertà" "I'm sorry, but I really can't let you roam free", gerard asked him what was up, and he told him about the recipe, but from the way he said that in the italian version it's like he already had enough proof to arrest him, and that was the first time they met!