The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Murder Under Glass - A problem with the plot

Lee
I always assumed that they feared cooperation would lead to exposure and professional ruin. Once it was publicized that they had paid for good reviews, their restaurants would presumably suffer. Testifying against Paul Gerard would tell the world what they had done.
Good point, hadn't thought about that: even if they succeeded in proving gerard's guild, it could at least tarnish their restaurants' reputation, doubt it'd completely ruin them as they were well established by then, so there's that risk and like others said, including the last comment, there's also the risk that gerard could start negative reviews on them in case columbo failed to arrest him.

Re: Murder Under Glass - A problem with the plot

Rob L
Good afternoon all.

My first post on this forum.

I was watching Murder Under Glass recently and it occured to me that there was a huge hole in the plot that I can't explain so I was wondering if anyone here could offer up an explenation.

After the funeral scene when Columbo flushes out those who were invovled in the Restaurant Developers Association, he obviously goes to talk to them. Why don't Max Duvall and Mary Choy tell Columbo that they are being blackmaled by Paul Gerard. They know that Vittorio was going to have a meeting with Gerard to tell him he was getting out. Once the police were involved in an investigation involving Paul Gerard surely it would have been easy for Max and Mary to pull the plug on his scam. Instead what we get is Max's strange conversation about Vittorio being a man about to commit murder himself and Mary Choy being all silent about the Restaurant Developers Association. It makes little sense.

Other than that though, I do quite enjoy this episode.

if they told all and were wrong or columbo couldn't prove gerards guilt they would've been ruined by gerard so decided to keep quiet