The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
Where's the security checks in The Most Crucial Game?

What I mean by the title thread is that did Hanlon just simply drove in and out of the Coliseum in the ice cream truck without passing through a security gate?! There must have been a gatecheck otherwise any Tom, Dick or Harry could have enter the Coliseum willy-nilly! Columbo would have just asked the gate guard did an ice cream truck came in and out of here.

Also Hanlon took a huge risk anyway, what if the ice cream truck didn't have the keys in the truck? What if the real driver returned and reported it missing?

Re: Where's the security checks in The Most Crucial Game?

Never explained. Also, from where did Hanlon get his vendor's uniform?

Joe

That episode was taped back in the early seventies and security wasn't much of an issue back then. In the mid seventies I worked for a local small college football team that had some connections with the Pittsburgh Steelers. I was able to drive into the inner parking circle at Three Rivers Stadium where the players parked and could walk right in the players entrance, even on game day and nobody ever questioned my presence there. Except one time when Chuck Knoll gave me the hairy eyeball about why I was in their locker room. I was eighteen years old and here's the coach of the defending Super Bowl champs giving me the staredown, think I wasn't intimidated? And if you think Bill Cowher has a tough look to him on the sidelines, you should have seen Chuck Knoll's icy stare. Made Cowher look like a schoolboy. LOL

Re: Re: Where's the security checks in The Most Crucial Game?

Thanks for that TFL.

I do remember a Quincy episode made in the late 70s at the Coliseum where there was security checks at the gate.

Could point Joe about the uniform. Also what did he do with it?

I think Hanlon gave himself away to Columbo with the tapes of the bugged calls. He was very insistent that Wagner get in the pool and Columbo suspecting it wasn't a simple drowning must have asked himself why was he so insistent for him to get into the pool.

Very interesting stuff TFL...that is pretty cool.