"No Subject"
Your Posting Will Be Deleted.

General Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
oil paint

Hello,

I am a professional painter and in order to do realistic portrets I use lead white paint. Recently the paint industry has been hesitant in producing Lead white paints due to Health and Safety regulations, they say. although nobody can give me a straight answer why? There are a lot of different stories going on about the reasons: Some say it is because he tubes do not have a child secure closure. Other say it is to be put off the market completely.

I would like to know what the regulations say exactly. Could anyone inform me about that please? Or tell me where to find the texts, so I can get the information sorted.

Also what institution would be best to address with toxic paint related questions? Can somebody provide me with a name or contactdetails? That would help me a lot in my search.

Thank you very much in advance,

Carolien Corthouts

How Did You Find Us? google

Re: oil paint

The control of lead at work regulations 2002.

An employer must not carry out work which is liable to expose any employees to lead unless they have completed an assessment of the risk created by that work to the health of employees

The purpose of the risk assessment is to allow employees to make a valid decision about whether the work concerned is likely to result in the exposure of any employees to lead being ‘significant’.

The risk assessment shall include consideration of the following: -

The hazardous properties of the lead.
Information on health effects provided by the supplier, including information contained in relevant safety date sheets.
The level, type and duration of the exposure.
The circumstances of the work, including the amount of lead involved.
Activities, such as maintenance, were there is the potential for high level of exposure.
Any relevant occupational exposure limit, action level and suspension level.
The effect of preventative and control measures which have been or will be taken in accordance with the requirements of regulation 6 –prevention or control of exposure to lead.
The results of relevant medical surveillance.
The results of monitoring of exposure
In circumstances where the work will involve exposure to lead and another substance hazardous to health, the risk presented by exposure to those substances in combination.
Whether the exposure of any employee to lead is liable to be significant.
Such additional information as the employer may need in order to complete the risk assessment.

Try www.hse.gov for further information.

It is recognsied that lead exposure can have servere and fatal outcomes.

JM

Re: Re: oil paint

Thank you very much for your reply Jeff.
That is usefull to know.

I recently discovered the defra website, which is providing a lot of information about the use of the paint by the end user in addition to the measures for the manufactorer.

Best christmas wishes,

Carolien

How Did You Find Us? google

CLICK HERE TO ENTER STAN'S SAFETYPOINT STALL