Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Walt Derosia, OTACS, USN (Retired) - passing/memorial

Walt and I met in San Diego in 1966, he was converting to Sonarman from the Signalman rating. I was in AN/SQS-23 Maint school. We were in a bar named the Black Knight located behind Sambo,s restaurant. He was complaining about his car breaking down, he said for a hundred dollars he would be rid of it ... so I bought my first car, a 1957 Ford coupe, deck grey.
We next met at the small boat landing on Ford Island 20 yrs later. We both were stationed at NOPF, Walt retired there and I went on to NAVFAC Whidbey Island.
The last time I saw Walt was at my retirement at Whidbey Island. He hopped into his RV and drove up to attend my retirement. We had a great time at the retirement party.
Now it's been another twenty years during which we've E-mailed each other. I am going to miss Walt, I always wanted to visit Washington and say Hi, but, I missed my chance.
Farewell and following seas my friend !

Another shipmate and friend has gone ahead. Truly sad to hear of Walt's passing. My sincere condolences to Walt's family. He will be missed.

A very sad day to hear of the passing of yet another fine OT and individual. My deepest thoughts and prayers are with Walt's family. Rest easy Walt, those of still hear have the watch.

After divorcing the Navy in 1991, I moved to San Diego with my family. One day, we took a trip down to Tiajuana & guess who I saw there!? Well, he recognized me first. He told me the truth about how my divorce from the Navy really came to be. What he didn't know is that he gave me peace of mind, as I kept re-visiting my past to find a clue to how I became such a worthless person.
After that meeting, I haven't revisited my past much at all. He gave me a priceless gift & I always thanked him in my heart.
Abie

I met Walt in Hawaii. He was always so upbeat. Unfortunately, we never keep up with old friends like we should. I will miss Walt. Fair Winds and Following seas shipmate.

Visits: