Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Were you ever on a ship?

Hey Rick, we served together on the Sample 74-76. I was the TASS Officer. Besides our division getting impressive results while underway I remember too much Sake in Yokohama. We were fortunate that our CO appreciated the unique nature of TASS. I got out after that tour and went to San Diego working for SYSCON and SAIC for the next 38 yrs. Retired and living in Asheville, NC.

Did 28 years 6 months and with the exception of two weeks sea phase at FSS did not serve one day aboard ship.

Charlie...

3 Navfac's in 3 years an no ships... Thinking back I remember the first "pitch" I heard about an opportunity to avoid ship-board duty... The pitchman couldn't say much about it however there was the promise of "NO SEA DUTY"... I remember talking it over with about 10 others also being recriuted for the program... We were just finishing electronics "A" school at Great Lakes... Not everyone bought into the promise... So it was off to key West... Everyone finishing in my class went to a Nacfac... Not so for some in the class before us or the class following us... I don;pt remember volunteering for anything else...

Only served in the Navy for 3 years. The first 18 months were at Navfac SNI and the last 18 months were as the XO on USNS Bowditch (OCEANOUNIT 1)

Still active duty, 29 years and counting. Short of the ferry ride from Argentia to Sydney Nova Scotia, a grueling overnight trip, and a dependents cruise on an oiler from Oahu to Maui, have never been part of a ships crew....am hoping for selection on the Mercy for Pacific Partnership 2012....heres keeping my fingers crossed....for now....I languish in the desert near 29 Palms.

I have my Sea Service Ribbon, Courtesy of OTCM Bob Hart and his passion for Navy Regs ;)

20 years and 0 sea duty, unless the Ford Island ferry counts.

I did one cruise on the USS Independence CV62 in the Tactical Support Center or TSC which analyzed the S-2 "Graybox" and flight data. My schooling was as long as my cruise which was from pier 7 at Norfolk NOB to drydock down the Elizabeth river to Portmouth. HA HA. I relieved OTA2 Sceebo (sp?) in the TSC. I went to every type of school offered as ordered by the leading chief to get me out of drydock work. I was picked up for OTA1 and there was no billet for an OTA1 so I got transferred back into the OTA normal chain of commands. I was onboard for 7 months and had duty every fourth day when not TAD so I did have a bunk on board. lots of fun drinking with the AW's.

Visits: