Ocean Night 1280x1024 1024X768 800X600
Mid-Watch   1280x1024 1024X768 800X600

IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: A Tribute to Share

Yes, as Randy so accurately said, we can all recall our "Sea Daddy". And, Smokey was mine. I am a better person for having known Smokey. He made me a better sailor, and taught me how to be a "Chief". I am forever indebted.

John.

Thanks so much for sharing this well-written tribute to Smokey.
As in similar situations, when "the chips are down" we are sometimes compelled to share our deepest feelings for those who have mentored and befriended us over the years. Of course, we all know that there are not enough words to fully thank Smokey for all that he has done for many shipmates (with whom he served, and even those he did not) - and, most certainly for the enormous contributions he has made to "the System".
Although I never served with him, I met him on a couple of occasions following his and my retirement. I also was honored to meet him nearly every five years during the IUSS reunions. Accordingly, I would like to join those who pay tribute to his long and distinguished career and send him a couple of time honored traditional Navy salutations:
BZ Smokey! you have seen and done it all
"Fair winds and following seas" in your sunset years
Irv (Dee) DeMatties

BZ BEN

Thanks to Ben for writing this and John for sharing. And for Smokey being Smokey.

Visits: