This active Medical Assistant Web Forum is maintained by Danni R., former Certified Medical Assistant, who has made her mark on the Internet by reaching thousands of medical assistant students, graduates and experienced medical assistants coast to coast through her well known websites and web forums dedicated to ALL medical assistants in the USA and abroad. Many medical assistant students and professionals have come and gone, leaving posts about their dreams, concerns and aspirations. Many reached out whenever possible to lend a helping hand to their peers in the true spirit of this profession! Thank you to all who have supported and contributed to this very active Medical Assistant Web Forum.

Return to Website

Medical Assistant Web Forum

Our Motto: "If Medical Assistants post it - Medical Assistants will reply!"

Medical Assistant Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Now that I have passed the CMA, will it up my chances of finding employment?

The department if PCU Progressive Care Unit..It is for patients who are either leaving ICU but not ready for the main floor and for those who need care but do not need to be in ICU. As far as the expectations go...you need to be able to cope with a fast paced environment, need strong medterm knowledge, transcription ability...they did not mention an exact typing speed...I am between 50-60 wpm. My huge book is my text book used in school. The review books are too expensive and I couldn't find them at the library. Once you finish the test you are done. You will check out and they will print up the results. Don't loose that form because that will be your only proof that you passed the exam. It takes approximately 8 wks until you receive the offical certification from the AAMA. And yes you can use the restroom on your break or make a phone call. They are going to explain everything to you don't worry. You will be provided with scrap paper etc. Math question example was "How much would your salary be if you work this amount of hours." Not too much problems on there don't worry about that. Look since your test is tomorrow I would relax a bit. It sounds like you are studying like crazy. You don't want to burn yourself out. Get a good nights rest, and eat a good breakfast. I know you are going to pass. Hey I thought I was going to fail the exam and I didn't. I will check back later this evening just incase you have any other questions.

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? Not yet...hopefull soon!

Re: Now that I have passed the CMA, will it up my chances of finding employment?

Hey today flew by....feel like I can not get enough last minute stuff in. I should probably stop soon. I so wish the exam was like the simulated CD THAT CAME WITH MY REVIEW BOOK. I chose 100 questions and got 99 right! So scared it will be completely different. So what should I know as far as coding? I really think Im not going to be able to sleep tonight lol (usually cant anyways)! So the exam is separated in different sections? Is each section timed...for example you get 40 minutes for each section and when times up thats it, or is it 3hrs and 15 minutes for the whole exam? I don't think I like the idea of each section being timed if that's how it is...because you might take longer on one part than the other. Do they just tell you if you pass or fail, or actually give you for example 90%? If so what did you get? I am going to study a little more. Talk to you later or tomorrow ill be !!! Bye for now.

CMA Prep

I can't remember if each section was timed....I get nervous with timed exams so I didn't bring a watch or looked at any clock! LOL...well if you got 99 questions out of 100 correct then you will do just fine on the test. I think you are making a bigger deal out of this than you should. Trust yourself. As far as coding know the difference between what a CPT code looks like and a ICD-9 looks like. Some of those I was confused with. There is no percentage given... a simple PASS or FAIL.

Good Luck you will do fine...

"You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think."

~ Quote by Christopher Robin to Pooh

Your Professional Title/Credentials: CMA

Are You Still In School? No

Are You Working? No