The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Question (or two) about the UK 2nd season DVD set

And I am breaking your chops on 2 threads!!

Now let me try and redeem myself to Pete. First of all Welcome Pete!
I am from the US so I really don't know about the UK release of Etude...but I would assume it would be the 2 hour version since the 90minute version was supposedly the Canadian version. I have it and it is really good...I miss some of the scenes from the 2 hour one..but there are scenes that are different...most of the lines are the same but it is obviously a different filming (or take) than the 2 hour one.

Re: Re: Question (or two) about the UK 2nd season DVD set

Thanks for the replies.

Welshdragon, yes, that's the ending I'm talking about. They have been edited out of the 2nd season DVD set (of the U.S. release, at least).

A minor annoyance, to be sure, but it's "just one more thing that's bothering me" about the DVD releases - why do they have to mess with things like that? Another is the use of "too new" pictures of Peter Falk in the covers etc. (I guess you can read between the lines here that I'm not a big fan of the newer ABC episodes.)

Well, enough complaining. It's really great just to have the early episodes on DVD.

Cassavetes45, I think it's indeed safe to assume that the UK release of the 2nd season has the long version of "Etude" as well. What got me wondering, though, was the difference in the running times according to Universal TV's U.S. site (great-tv-shows.com) and their UK site (universal-playback.com) - 6 hrs 41 minutes vs. 6 hrs 13 minutes. Probably just a misprint or something like that. Still, it would be nice to have corroboration from someone who has the UK set.

Pete I agree with you about the "new" pictures of Peter on the cover. The 3rd season set, due out today here, has a picture that looks like it comes from the newer episodes. Couldn't they have used a picture that came from the 3rd season???

Maybe the difference in running times is due to the different frame rates between NTSC and PAL. I think NTSC is 29 point something frames a second while PAL is 25. So an NTSC print would be longer in length but contain the same footage.

WD

welsh dragon they'd be exactly the same length. ntsc just has a quicker refresh rate.

you guys have lost me..........

Well I guess you proved your point Welshie. And I actually understood some of that!!!