Return to Website

Away From The Numbers

All good things come to an end. Or so they say. AFTN has been around since 1989, first as a fanzine and then making the jump to a website and forum in 2003. We've been through the many ups and down at East Fife in those 12 years but policing the forum has become a giant pain in the ass in recent years. As such, we made the decision not to renew it when it expired.

The forum is no more and will remain as a locked archive until it is eventually deleted by the host. We're looking in to try to save some of the content as an archive.

This is not the end of AFTN though. The site will continue and will be revamped and return in its full glory for the start of the 2016/17 season. Maybe even sooner. There will be a comment sections and possibly even a new, registered forum. Check our Twitter (@aftnwebsite) for all the latest info and we'll also post in on the EFFC memories Facebook page.

Until then, have a last browse here, thanks for all your support over the years, and 'Mon the Fife.

GoF

East Fife
This Forum is Locked
Author
Comment
View Entire Thread
Re: Atchison

You're right, he can't account for individual errors but he can account for the fact that he is the man that picks these players for our team.

He started with Moosari and Stewart, both extremely poor players. Then he brings on Ryan Stewart who simply shouldn't even be playing amateur football.

I think he's a decent man and would like him to maybe coach the under 19s but never the first team.

The only cup you lot will get , is when the new Morrisons opens, you nip in fur a cup o tea

Levenmouth Rover' s goading is the least of our worries.

Every time we get beat he blames it on individual errors...that's a relevant excuse for one defeat but not multiple loses, fingers have to be pointed at the manager. He obviously isn't addressing this problem and probably never will. Yes he signed Stephen Hughes, which will probably sort the centre mid problem, but we have no decent wide players and that is a massive problem. When things are not going well at a football team there is only a certain amount of things that can be wrong.. And quite clearly the problem is Atchison... A quarter of a season is massive in this league .. Look at how tight it is, another poor quarter and we are down! In my eyes he has to go, he's not a manager. Going to be a long year ahead.

kceffc
you trawled back weeks to dig a post up. give the guy a chance. he cant account for individual errors. it is like the posters who slated gary thom when he signed and he has been one of our best players. pish the day but no time to panic yet we are only a quarter through the season.

Dont panic! last season after 9 games we had 8pts and look what a shit season that was. Sadly the manager is out his depth and Kevin drinkell walking away for football reasons, says it all!!

How old is Willie Aitchison? around 50 maybe? I take it he has been involved in football most of his adult life? By speaking to other fans in the past I am led to believe that he hasn`t even reached the heights of assistant manager at any senior club and has only been involved in a coaching capacity and working with youths.
Surely if he was any good then word would have got round and other clubs may have possibly taken him on board.

Was he given the job because he talks a good game and is pals with Brian McNeil? His appointment as manager was always a gamble and it has failed. I really wish he had been a success then it would have meant we would have had a more successful team than at present, but bottom of the league and scoring only 6 goals is failure in my eyes.

The board cannot afford to take another gamble and let this continue. The off field activities have been a breath of fresh air and a lot of people have bought in to this. The club cannot afford for gates to go back to what they were last season. Big decisions have to be made soon.

Willie Aitchison is a 52-year-old taxi driver. He is not a young coach with new ideas. He has never been an assistant coach at a senior club but he will tell you he was first team coach at Hearts if you ask. This is not true. He did bibs and cones after Csaba Laszlo befriended him, and was out the door when Laszlo left.
He has never played senior football, and he has never managed in senior football.
Since arriving at Bayview, his assistant has walked out after just a few weeks. He has appointed his teenage son as first team fitness coach, and the lad has now turned for the reserves.
If only Jeremy Beadle was still alive, we would have some hope.

I'm going to go against the grain here and stick up for the manager.
At the moment we're just 6 points off fourth place and have been playing some decent football.
Due to injuries at the start of the season the manager didn't have a settled side but was able to keep almost the same 11 for the Airdrie and Stenny games - where we took 4 points from 6.
Aye it's never nice being bottom, but I think with the likes of Naysmith, Neilson and Hughes in the side, along with the likes of Buchanan we really do have the core of a good side.
I've been impressed with Gary Thom too.

We just need things to click for us and then I'm sure the wins will come.

The manager is trying to build something new at Bayview just now and needs time.

Knee jerk reactions are not the way forward.

The appointment of aitchison was a gamble and it's clear it is not paying off. Time to cut the losses and start again while the playoffs are still achievable. Every defeat makes life harder for the next manager.

Jimmy calderwood anyone.

we had to change manager last year due to durie being ill we don't have to this year I have read interviews where players are accepting they are not doing it on the pitch. buchanan today saying they had prepared for ayrs style but did not do what was asked once out on the pitch.

I am not happy with the way the season has started I don't know anyone who is but don't think sacking the manager is the way forward just now.

as for drinkell do we know why he left ? I don't so I cant blame anyone for that. and he was hardly experienced not downing him was glad to have him on the coaching staff but he was out the game for years and was working as an agent. atchinson was coaching all that time.

this Is only my opinion same as it is only other peoples. but as has been mentioned a couple of results and we could hit the promotion playoff position.

also it would just bring about the broon situation of its no ma team.

I would give him at least till December to get his style implemented and if he doesn't I think the board will take action but until then I will back the manager and the team.

this is going to be a tight league outwith rangers and I think stability could go a long way to being successful or not.

kceffc
we had to change manager last year due to durie being ill we don't have to this year I have read interviews where players are accepting they are not doing it on the pitch. buchanan today saying they had prepared for ayrs style but did not do what was asked once out on the pitch.

The players disregard manager's advice = problem.

kceffc
I am not happy with the way the season has started I don't know anyone who is but don't think sacking the manager is the way forward just now.

What changes would you make then, to take us off the bottom of the league and improve our goal-scoring tally, which is currently half that of the second lowest scorers in the league? Would you sign some more players?

kceffc
as for drinkell do we know why he left ? I don't so I cant blame anyone for that. and he was hardly experienced not downing him was glad to have him on the coaching staff but he was out the game for years and was working as an agent. atchinson was coaching all that time.

Aitchison has been driving a taxi since Laszlo left Hearts at the start of 2010. Before Laszlo arrived and needed a pal, Aitchison was a taxi driver.

kceffc
this Is only my opinion same as it is only other peoples. but as has been mentioned a couple of results and we could hit the promotion playoff position.

The team in the bottom play-off position have just humped us 4-1 at home. Don't kid yourself that we are contenders.

kceffc
also it would just bring about the broon situation of its no ma team.

Aitchison has signed just about every player in the squad. It is his team.

kceffc
this is going to be a tight league outwith rangers and I think stability could go a long way to being successful or not.

At the moment, stability is going a long way right enough, to annan and elgin next season.

I said the next manager would have the excuse its no ma team.

I think the signings have mostly been good ones but change takes time.

I have told you what I will do I will support the team and the manager because I have seen some positive things in the opening quarter.

we can all play football manager but most of us have less qualifications than the man you call a taxi driver.

tell me this if this really is yours and others opinions why the silence for 2 wks was it because we got 4 points from 2 games ?

what would your plan be after sacking him ?

some of the best coaches in recent times have been players with little or no playing or coaching experience. there is no set formula sometimes experience works sometimes it doesn't .

my point is if we don't give him a chance and we sack him does the next manager only get 6 or so games before you call for his head.

we have a better run club than last season and imo a much better squad who atchinson surely must have helped bring some here.

I think 15 games is the minimum you have to give a manager unless you are in dire straits or he loses the dressing room I see no evidence of either at the moment

We were showing signs of improvement but that on Saturday was 10 steps back. A manager is responsible for results, he can play who he wants and what formations he wants, but the bottom line is results. After watching that on Saturday even the most eternal optimist would struggle to see how we can get anything from our next 2 games. The first competitive match at Forfar we gave them far to much time and space on the ball, here we are in October and we are still doing the same. At least three goals on Saturday no one pressures the ball. It has been clear that the midfield has been the problem, I would not like to hazard a guess what formation wullie comes up with this weekend, but we need 2 things fight and width. A 442 only works if the wide players get involved in the game and put in a shift. I said a few weeks back that we must be looking for improvement in results and performance over 5 or 6 weeks. I will give the manager my backing for now as he was unable to play the team that had shown improvement. On Saturday at least 5 players were well below what is required, but the good thing is we should have better players desperate to fill their boots. I would try a midfield of stonie wide left brown and hughes in the middle and durie wide right.

the manger is foul of crap hes crap better he gets the sack if we keep him we will go down

The Manager needs EVERY player playing for him and he won`t get that with some current players doubting his credentials.

The same players, who put in a shift every week must be sick of carrying some others who continue to put in sub standard performances.

Never, ever thought we would be in this position at present and certainly wouldn`t give Aitchison 15 games to prove himself as too much damage could have been done by then.

kceffc
I said the next manager would have the excuse its no ma team.

I think the signings have mostly been good ones but change takes time.

I have told you what I will do I will support the team and the manager because I have seen some positive things in the opening quarter.

we can all play football manager but most of us have less qualifications than the man you call a taxi driver.

tell me this if this really is yours and others opinions why the silence for 2 wks was it because we got 4 points from 2 games ?

what would your plan be after sacking him ?

some of the best coaches in recent times have been players with little or no playing or coaching experience. there is no set formula sometimes experience works sometimes it doesn't .

my point is if we don't give him a chance and we sack him does the next manager only get 6 or so games before you call for his head.

we have a better run club than last season and imo a much better squad who atchinson surely must have helped bring some here.

I think 15 games is the minimum you have to give a manager unless you are in dire straits or he loses the dressing room I see no evidence of either at the moment

The problem is that Aitchison looked like a poor appointment and after the first quarter of the season we are bottom of the league and have scored only six goals in nine games. Opinions have now become evidence. Poor manager, poor performances, poor results, poor prospects. There is talent in the squad, without a doubt. But as a team, we are going down.
You ask what my plan would be after sacking him. Eh ... get a manager who knows what he's doing. It's not rocket science. There are plenty of them out there who would love the opportunity, and the boardroom backing, that has been given to Willie Aitchison. After all the positive changes off the field, the appointment of the wrong manager is a massive missed opportunity to take East Fife forward. But it is not too late to put this right.
No evidence of the manager losing the dressing room? Try speaking to the players. Some of them gave up on him six weeks ago. He lost his assistant too, by the way.

Can anyone remember when Aitchison said that "East Fife were going to give someone a doing soon"

you don't rate him fifer that is fair enough I don't think he has done as well as expected either doesn't mean sacking him is best for east fife.

who are these countless managers you speak of I don't think many would want job if they see a manager sacked after a quarter of the season.

its been a pish start don't think anyone would disagree but not disasterous we can still have a good season.

a new manager will want to bring in new players where will this money come from.

In all the time I have supported east fife I have never seen a board or manager attract the calibre of players we have just now. the board have put the money up they deserve the chance to see if it works.

however I do believe atchinson will know his coat is on a shoogley peg this is a results business he will not get forever.

and as I said why drinkell left could be any number of reasons does not mean it was down to the manager.

it may be baby steps of progress but the club is going the right way imo and lee said they would be happy with 7th this is still easily achievable.

so youre saying players gave up on him in late august early September well I think that would say more about there lack of fight for the fife jersey. how can you sign up then be unhappy so quickly especially when everyone knew they were going to a team in transition.

to say we are going down is premature to say the least I do not believe we will go down.

I don't think a new manager would want to bring in that many new players.

Look at the player we have/had. Some top talent there for this league.

So where does the bulk of the blame lie? The players for not playing to their potential or the manager for not getting the team to do that?

Always a tough one.

You have to look at our horrendous goal difference for one of the major reasons we're struggling right now.

Apart from the Arbroath game, where we played excellent for about 40 minutes, I don't see this good football others talk of. The only two wins were by scraping home against 10 man Smokies, and a deflected goal against a very poor Airdrie, who could have easily taken something from the game.
Ayr looked a poor team on Saturday but still much better than us.
The manager is well out of his depth, and the farcical situation on Saturday when he had Tuta stripped and ready to come on for 5 minutes, and had at least 5 opportunities to make the substitution, but the manager didn't seem to know who to take off, whilst big Cedric continued to freeze on the sideline. In the Dunfermline game Aitchison called the assistant (in fairly derogatory terms) to make a substitution, but the player couldn't come on as he wasn't correctly listed on the team sheet. It is amateurish in the extreme.
The purpose of a youth academy coach is to develop a player or two for the first team, whereas a first team manager needs to get results. Obviously this is not happening at the moment, and I haven't seen anything to suggest things are going to change soon.
I would cut our lossesnow. Not expecting anything from the next two games, but a new manager might get a reaction to take into the cup match at Forfar, which at least would give some hope for the rest of the season.
My choice would be Calderwood, who would jump at the chance, and knows the likes of Clarke and Buchannan. Big decisions to be made

Maybe the reason Nade hasn`t signed is that he is waiting to see if his pal Aitchison is still going to be in a job?

if we get beat by pars on saturday get the manger sack its not working out after 10 games wolud rather have colin camron the cowdenbeath manger than the one we have the now

Second bottom of league and out of all the cups.
How much longer is this guy going to get