Start a New Topic 
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Reply to Steve Walsh
Steve: Thank you for your insightful comments and observations. Best we have further exchanges via emails off-site unless approved for this site. Bruce
Views: 424   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 22, 2017
by Bruce Rule
On Eternal Patrol - USS Scorpion (SSN-589)
Lost with 99 souls onboard 22 May 1968. http://www.oneternalpatrol.com/uss-scorpion-589.htm
Views: 431   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 22, 2017
by Bruce Rule
The Manuscript for WHY THE USS THRESHER (SSN 593) WAS LOST Has Gone to the Publisher
This is a document that grew in the writing to become a powerful assessment of what went wrong and why it went wrong with critically important contributions by engineers and those qualified to operate US nuclear submarines. It has become far more than an analysis...
Views: 453   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 20, 2017
by Steve Walsh
"WHY THE USS THRESHER (SSN 593) WAS LOST"
The 55-page THRESHER Technical Assessment, based HMCS Shelburne data, will be sent as a PDF (e-document) to anyone who requests it. Email request to karasjok@aol.com. New assessments/conclusions are provided.
Views: 554   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Weather update: Mt Washington, NH Gets Record 33-inch Snow Storm 13-15 May
Temperatures had been running 6°F below average for the first half of the month with snow showers adding up to 8.9” through the 13th. May only averages 12” of snowfall on the summit so we were already well on our way to surpassing that total, but we...
Views: 365   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 18, 2017
by Bruce Rule
How Many Were There?
Greets All! My mind drifts more often these days; today's gyre keeps spinning the question "what was the total number of SOSUS analysts in the USN?" I'm just about certain there's no ACCURATE record on this; just about any estimate would be a SWAG at best. B...
Views: 733   Replies: 15
Last Post: May 16, 2017
by Mike Kennedy
Temporal Fidelity of Acoustic Events Detected at Long Range
The writer knows of no detection event intentionally designed to measure the temporal fidelity - - absence of time distortion of the duration - of acoustic events detected at long range. Analysis of the MIDWAY AFTAAC detections of the K-129 R-21/D4 missile-assc...
Views: 801   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 15, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Grim Details of the Accident Involving the USS SEAWOLF (SSN 575) in Jan 1968
Seawolf lacked the Albacore-tested hull streamlining and the noise reduction of later submarines, and she was, by 1968 standards, one of the noisiest nuke boats the US Navy had — which made her a good stand-in for the noisy Soviet boats of the day. USS Sturg...
Views: 571   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 13, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Another Shipmate passing to young
Just got a call from Tim Knightly's daughter, Tim passed away this morning. A wonderful man gone to soon. No details available as of yet.
Views: 637   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 06, 2017
by Ed Snyder
Has Anyone Read TRANSPARENT OCEANS, THE DEFEAT OF THE SOVIET SUBMARINE FORCE?
If so, what is your opinion of this 2003 book? Here's a quote from a two-star Amazon.com review: "Unless you have a deep abiding love for highly technical descriptions of SOSUS-based passive acoustic detection capabilities related to antisubmarine warfare, I w...
Views: 496   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 06, 2017
by George Widenor
Add Tom Tyler NOPF Dam Neck to In Memoriam
Tom Tyler, who recently retired from a civilian position at NOPF Dam Neck and had just started as a contractor there died 9 April 2017. Could one of the members see that he gets added to In Memoriam?. Thanks!
Views: 401   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 04, 2017
by John Quane
In Remembrance of CDR Bobby Nevin, Chief Pilot of the TRIESTE During Dives on the SCORPION Wreckage
It was Bobby Nevin (8 Feb 1936 – 28 Mar 2017) who, as Chief Pilot of the submersible TRIESTE, retrieved a piece of SCORPION main battery from the debris field on his last dive in 1968. Microscopic, spectrographic and X-ray defraction analysis of that recover...
Views: 384   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 27, 2017
by Bruce Rule
A Summary of The Capabilities of an OHIO Class SSGN
The USS MICHIGAN (SSGN 727) now is in Korean waters, Combined, the four SSGNs represent more than half of the Submarine Force’s vertical launch payload capacity with each SSGN capable of carrying up to 154 Tomahawk land-attack cruise missiles. The missiles a...
Views: 394   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 25, 2017
by Bruce Rule
A Question for Peter Johnson
This is a question I should have asked initially, the answer to which others on this site may have an interest. The SCORPION data already has been analyzed to frequency resolutions of 0.01 Hz and time resolutions to the tenth of a second using processing and displ...
Views: 463   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 19, 2017
by Peter Johnson
Early BOREY Class SSBNs May Have Used “Recycled" Components - But So Did Nautilus
As previously posted, early BOREY Class Russian SSBNs used AKULA hull sections and GTZA-OK-9VM geared-turbine propulsion units salvaged from scrapped OSCAR hulls. “AGAINST THE TIDE” by RADM Dave Oliver, who knew and served under ADM Rickover during mos...
Views: 363   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Preview of Coming Atractions
As I posted some months ago, one of these bases or one to come soon will be a forward area submarine base to escape the trap that the Barents Sea represents. See link.
Views: 507   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 18, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Response to Peter Johnson on the Source of the SCORPION Acoustic Data
The SCORPION pressure-hull collapse acoustic signal was detected by Columbia University Hydroacoustic Station Canaries single hydrophone A located at a depth of 3960-feet at 28-36-48.8N, 18-01-02.1W, just off the west coast of La Palma Island. That sensor was not...
Views: 457   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Squeezing Still More From Acoustic Data on the Condition of the SCORPION Wreck
Invalidation of the assumption that the initial compression and expansion (rebound) phases of the collapse of a submarine pressure-hull at great depth are symmetrical (of equal duration), and measurement of the acoustic signal (bubble-pulse) created by the collapse-e...
Views: 901   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 16, 2017
by Peter Johnson
Tobacco prices at Lakenheath.
Due to a change in policy, as of March 2017, the price of tobacco products is linked to the lower price of the same product on the local economy. At lakenheath, the cost of 1 carton of cigarettes was between $54 - $57. A far cry from the $1.20 I paid on my first s...
Views: 469   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 15, 2017
by David Annis
The Energy Release of the THRESHER Collapse Event Compared to MOAB, the Mother of All Bombs
The MOAB recently dropped in Afghanistan contained 18,700 pounds of unspecified high explosives. The energy release of the THRESHER collapse event was equal to the explosion of 22,500 pounds of TNT at a depth of 2400-feet or 20 percent more than MOAB. That ener...
Views: 382   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 14, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Extremely Detailed Article on India's AKULA II
If link doesn't work, copy and go to https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/complete-information-analysis-on-indias-akula-ii-ssn-ins-chakra-and-second-one.368067/
Views: 390   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Remembering the Loss of the Soviet NOVEMBER CLASS SSN K-8
Jack Holdzkom has reminded me that we have just passed the 47th year since the loss of the Soviet NOVEMBER Class SSN on 12 April 1970. Here's what was posted several years ago: When the NOVEMBER Class Soviet SSN (K-8) sank in the Bay of Biscay (47-25N, 19-40W)...
Views: 369   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
As Previously Stated, Those Who Exploit Acoustic Data Can Never Know Enough.
Those who exploit acoustic data to derive information additional to basic OPINTEL should either have a background in marine engineering or the acumen to know when it is appropriate to consult someone who does, i.e., ask the right person the right questions. Here a...
Views: 708   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Tom Tyler - Sad news
All, I am very sorry to report that our friend and shipmate Tom Tyler passed away at 0300 this morning, Sunday 9 Apr 17. I will forward any service information when available. V/R, Ed Smock
Views: 555   Replies: 3
Last Post: Apr 12, 2017
by Ed Smock
Potentially Dangerous Evolutions Never Done After THRESHER
A friend - upon receiving a copy of the final draft of WHY THE USS THRESHER (SSN 593) WAS LOST - has gone to sub vets to identify evolutions approved for use in 1963 but not thereafter. Although only one of these tests could have played a role in the loss of THRESHER...
Views: 455   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Extract from the TRIESTE Log: TRIESTE Found the THRESHER Wreck by Landing on Top of It.
August 1964: Trieste first and second dives were unsuccessful due to a failed gyrocompass FROM THE TRIESTE SUBMERSIBLE's LOG The third dive proved to be one of the most amazing. As the dive progressed we all breathed a sigh of relief as it became evident that...
Views: 391   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 11, 2017
by Bruce Rule
The Importance of Remembering What You Don't Understand
Fifty-four years ago today, THRESHER was lost. The week following that event, I was analyzing grams called in from all stations; there were no tapes. As I remember, the DSA backfit was well underway and only a few down-range stations still had the FQQ display syst...
Views: 2209   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 10, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Passing of John Emory
I am deeply saddened to learn of the death of John Emory. I received a phone call of this news from a long-time mutual friend, Jim Rygh, last night. The three of us have been close friends for nearly 57 years. John was confined to a health care facility in Conroe,...
Views: 629   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 06, 2017
by jack spencer
Sixty-three (63) Years Ago Today - 22 Mar 1954
Sixty-three (63) Years Ago Today – 22 Mar 1954 (First, this is not a “Close Out Report”, merely an “AMP”!!!) Sixty-three (63) years ago today I joined the U.S. Navy – and I am proud and honored to say that I am still with the...
Views: 532   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 06, 2017
by jack spencer
Loss of another shipmate
I am sorry to report that Gerald (JB) Bentley passed away last night. The exact cause of death is unknown at present but JB has been unwell for quite some time suffering from high blood pressure, clotting, diabetes, and most recently pneumonia. His wife, Janet, just...
Views: 678   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 24, 2017
by Jerry Satterfiel...
Passing of LCDR William J. Yaconiello
LCDR William J. Yaconiello lost his long battle with cancer on March 9.
Views: 443   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 20, 2017
by Mary Ann (Dranch...
Passing of Irving DiMatties, wife, Linda
A few hours ago, we learned of the passing of Irv's wife, Linda. They had been married sweethearts for 54 years and resided in Queensbury, New York. A very sad day for the DiMatties family. Obituary and services information can be found at this site; www.bakerfune...
Views: 479   Replies: 7
Last Post: Mar 19, 2017
by Ed Smock
c
Chuck
RHEUMATOID Arthritis
Just wondering if anyone else suffers from this disease? Chuck
Views: 472   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 13, 2017
by Ray Ronald
Looking for friend
I am trying to locate a Steve or Stephen Lopez that was stationed in Argentia in the early 80's. We were friends for a brief period before he got posted elsewhere. Any help would be appreciated.
Views: 467   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 08, 2017
by greg dyer
Late 70s/early 80s OT Recruitment Film
Circulating on Facebook. Not sure if many of you have seen this. I guess I enlisted before the film was available. - Jim https://youtu.be/OCXSGCd-3FY
Views: 556   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 28, 2017
by Doug Rankin
Phil Shanley
Saw on Facebook this morning that Phil passed away sometime Sunday night. That is all the information I have.
Views: 774   Replies: 11
Last Post: Feb 25, 2017
by Jack Holdzkom
Russian Spy Ship
Just saw on the news a Russian spy ship seen off the coast of Delaware, heading North. Apparently the same ship that was off the waters of Kings Bay Ga. in 2015. The article mentions its possibly measuring U.S. sonar capabilities along with other intel gathering.
Views: 449   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 15, 2017
by Rick Greatting
Passing of OTAC John Tuttle
It is with sad heart that I pass to his shipmates that OTAC John Tuttle probably my best friend in the Navy passed away this morning. We were stationed together on Eeleuthera during the best tour of my career. I changed my picture in his honor today.... Best picture...
Views: 458   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 11, 2017
by Richard K. Foste...
John Wayne movie.
Turned the TV on this afternoon (here in Haverfordwest) to find the Fighting Seebees just starting. Was instantly taken back to Lewes in 72-73 and Hatteras in 77-80. I remember that movie being shown at the club ob the Seebee's anniversary every year. Good times a...
Views: 488   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 10, 2017
by greg dyer
Navy Day 2017
I've been told by friends on Facebook that today is Navy Day...I would like to acknowledge all the Sailors I served with during my 24 year career. It was a privilege and a pleasure serving with you all...It was truly a Navy Adventure.
Views: 557   Replies: 7
Last Post: Feb 09, 2017
by Nick Stanfield
US Navy Upgrading Undersea Sub-Detecting Sensor Network New contract augments old Cold War “SOSUSâ
I found this interesting. Thanks for sharing, Jack Hallowell. - Jim US Navy Upgrading Undersea Sub-Detecting Sensor Network New contract augments old Cold War “SOSUS” arrays. By Steven Stashwick November 04, 2016      ...
Views: 717   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 25, 2017
by Rick Greatting
USNS Able Visits Yokosuka during Indo-Asia-Pacific Deployment
Details at: http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=98422
Views: 433   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 22, 2017
by Rick Greatting
After Six Years, Dropping the Other Shoe
In 2011, the writer published WHY THE USS SCORPION (SSN-589) WAS LOST based exclusively on analyses of acoustic defection of collapse of the pressure-hull by a single hydrophone in the Canary Islands. That analysis established the disaster occurred because of the exp...
Views: 489   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 21, 2017
by Steve Lewis
r
Robert
films
Some interesting SOSUS movies:
Views: 592   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 21, 2017
by stephen lechowic...
Why I watch Football on Television
Randy Scott's post a few days back regarding the Army/Navy game kindled a memory that answer's my wife Pat's question as to why I only want to watch football on television. The year was 1982 and Navy had a so-so team that was led by a running back named Napolean M...
Views: 433   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 17, 2017
by jack spencer
First Unit of the OHIO SSBN Replacement to Named the COLUMBIA (SSBN-826)
The OHIO Replacement Program received its new name in December when the Secretary of the Navy announced that the first ship of the class would be named USS Columbia (SSBN 826). http://www.navy.mil/submit/display.asp?story_id=98132 In addition, the COLUMBI...
Views: 425   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 12, 2017
by Bruce Rule
A Finishing Detail to the THRESHER Book Now Just About Complete
ANCILLARY ISSUE During the SCORPION Court of Inquiry (COI) hearings, the Court was misinformed by an assessment – which they fully accepted - that the bubble-pulse acoustic signal created by the collapse of a submarine pressure-hull might not be detectable b...
Views: 416   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 07, 2017
by Bruce Rule
Passing of a true gem
It's been a while since I looked in on this message board, so please forgive me if this info has already been presented: I just learned of the passing of Earl Williams, AT&T/Lucent contractor, on 9/5/16, he was 82 years old. When my annual Christmas card was retu...
Views: 609   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 07, 2017
by Jack Holdzkom
A Surprising - At Least to Me - Provision of the Social Security Law
The Social Security check sent to recipients on - or near - the first of the each month is not for that month but for the previous month. Social Security will NOT pay a monthly benefit for the month in which a death occurs. Efforts to amend the law have been unsu...
Views: 511   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 04, 2017
by Bruce Rule
An Insidious Approach
Both TIME and DISCOVER magazines are using what appears - at least to me - to be an insidious approach to gain subscribers. They send out mailings in envelopes labeled "OFFICIAL BUSINESS, Penalty for Private Use." The content of the DISCOVER letter is a single...
Views: 390   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 02, 2017
by greg dyer
12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21
Visits: