Start a New Topic 
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Bruce's posts
Just think what could have happened if we had the internet in the "old" days. Wow, it would have been very informative and I believe we used it to its best advantage. I have learned more reading the technical posts. Before everyone jumps in and says the info would ha...
Views: 509   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 31, 2014
by Bruce Rule
An Invitation to Remain Mentally Active by Doing Research
When the SCORPION pressure-hull collapsed, it created a bubble-pulse of 4.46 Hz, the reciprocal of which (1/4.46) is 0.224 seconds which means that the bubble (air contained within the pressure-hull) oscillated through the first compression-expansion cycle in 0.224...
Views: 348   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 30, 2014
by Bruce Rule
China and something VERY interesting (underwater travel)
Can you imagine that China is developing a submarine that can travel from Shanghi to San Francisco in less than 2 hours? Check out the link provided.
Views: 443   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 30, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Technical Information for Active Duty IUSS Analysts, and for Former System Analysts Still Interested
This document, discussions of submarine pressure-hull collapse events and numerous other subjects have been posted on this site to protect this information from what otherwise would be almost inevitable loss. Such archiving hopefully with provide these assessments t...
Views: 1982   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 29, 2014
by Bruce Rule
P-8 Orion dropped sonar buoy
Report on P-8 Orion and encounter with Chinese fighter aircraft.
Views: 492   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 27, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
What US Seismologists Concluded About the Loss of the Russian SSGN KURSK in 2000
INTRODUCTION/COMMENTS US seismologists were correct when they assessed the 3-Hz KURSK-associated seismic-wave signal to have brne “bubble-pulse” from a major explosive event. That signal was seismically detected at a range of 3100 statute miles (5000km...
Views: 992   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 26, 2014
by Bruce Rule
TEAM PARINGS
OB I;LL AGREE TO JOIN YOUR TEAM ,IF YOU PICK ME UP AT THE HOTEL,PAY FOR MY RENTAL CLUBS & BUY THE BREVERAGES AT THE 19 HOLE (IF I MAKE IT THAT FAR). ALSO IF BRIAN SHAW PLAYS HE CAN NOT USE HIS PUTTER JIM
Views: 353   Replies: 1
by O.B. Corning
Britains subs may need new home
Will they have to move? Have to wait and see.
Views: 412   Replies: 0
by Dick Vermeulen
Silent is deadly
On the other hand why would we acknowledge that WE CAN find them? Back "in the day" I bet we could find these new subs!! We would have them on a "TARF" in no time!!
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 24, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Captured U-Boat helps win WW2
Check out the Link video. Get through the short advertisement first. It is interesting.
Views: 431   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 23, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Navy Chiefs to get the AX (in the 4 digits)
Just thought I would post the link above.
Views: 641   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 22, 2014
by Denny Conrad
22 Aug UPDATE: Attendee List for IUSS 60th Anniversary - 202
Current count for IUSS 60th Anniversary dinner sits at 202 as of 22 Aug 2014. Abramsky Aaron Ainsworth Bob & Patricia Bailey David & Lois Banks Paul Baun Jennifer Beedles Brett & Karen Bennett Robert & Barbara Bentley Gerald Blauvelt Philip & Charlotte Bl...
Views: 493   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2014
by Jim Donovan
The Navy Is Tracking Some Strange Sounds Coming from the Ocean
How complicated things can get in our world The following is just the beginning of the article that may be of interest. =========================================================== The Navy Is Tracking Some Strange Sounds Coming from the Ocean By Matthew Bra...
Views: 464   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 21, 2014
by Bruce Rule
I have turned off the captcha on posts
A few weeks back there was a small discussion regarding the captcha you encounter when posting. At the time, I went in and made a couple of posts and did not encounter any difficulties. Today, while posting I was doing some editing. When you edit, it appears y...
Views: 491   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 20, 2014
by Rick Greatting
Starting out
I remember going to San Diego (as an E-3 non designated seaman) and waiting for orders. Over 70% of us were getting PBRS in Vietnam at the time April 1968. We were either excited or worried! There was an over 50% chance of getting wounded or killed while serving o...
Views: 424   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
What to Expect: A Prediction
Nearly 50 years ago, an ECHO II Class Soviet SSGN penetrated the western Atlantic at very low speeds. It was reported by the System but was not properly evaluated. When the unit reached a position about 200 miles east of Norfolk, it accelerated to 20 knots as if t...
Views: 1019   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 19, 2014
by Director, IUSSCA...
Chinese missile
We knew it was a missile which came from a submerged submarine when we first saw it!
Views: 404   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 18, 2014
by Webhamster
Vas Vegas FRA Email contact?
Anybody there got a contact email for the FRA in Vegas? I'm trying to get a group from the RNA in Haverfordwest (Haven branch) on a group outing to Vegas in 2015. Sadly, sweems that I can't book it through a US travel company, something to d owith being in the UK,...
Views: 368   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 18, 2014
by Bob Ainsworth
Has Russia Resurrected a Soviet-Era Super Weapon Delivery System Concept?
ORIGINAL CONCEPT When, in the early 1950s, the Soviet Union began to produce nuclear weapons, they had no effective delivery system against US targets. One concept, proposed by Andre Sakharov, was the development of an enormous torpedo with a 100 megaton warhead t...
Views: 975   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 16, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Exploiting "Conventional," Differential and Rotational Doppler
INTRODUCTION Doppler effect analysis can be appled to any measurable signal from very low frequency acoustic energy to well beyond the visible light spectrum to determine the velocity of an energy-radiating object relative to the observer's instrument (sensor) at...
Views: 967   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 15, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Off Topic: Fun with Numbers: a New Way to Look at the National Debt
Two enormous numbers may very rarely obtrude upon our lives. (1) the national debt, now about 17 trillion dollars (17,000 billion or 55,000 per citizen; 152,000 per tax payer), and (2) the distance to Proxima Centauri, the nearest star: 25 trillion miles. Fun and gam...
Views: 340   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 14, 2014
by greg dyer
What Viet Nam Has To Say About Their New Project 636.3 KILOs
"Russia was once a pioneer in AIP engine design, but in the past decade, the Western nations took (over) in this field. Russia hopes to get AIP efficient engines in the next 3 years. In addition, they are also developing a new propulsion system for submarines, enabli...
Views: 388   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 13, 2014
by Bruce Rule
What the ZULU IV Used to Tow Around to Inspect Sea-Floor Cables
Below is the machine translation of the text that goes with the linked website pictures of the vehicles the ZULU IVs used to tow around both Atlantic and Pacific areas to inspect sea-floor cables. This system was another example of "Better is the enemy of good enoug...
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 13, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Robin Williams
By now practically everyone knows of the passing of Robin Williams. He was a fine entertainer and a good friend of the military. He loved to entertain the troops and if laughter is part of earning a place in heaven, he has gotten that part of the ticket for sure!!...
Views: 399   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 12, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Russia ASW forces
Win some and lose some. I hope the skipper doesn\'t get a reprimand or worse when he returns to port!!
Views: 507   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 09, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Another Request for Assistance in Solving an Antique Puzzle
All: About 2008, the writer began supporting research (pro bono) by the UK film producer Michael White on the loss of the GOLF-II Class Soviet SSB (K-129) in the NW Pacific in March 1968. White's efforts produced a film (AZORIAN: The Raising of the K-129) and...
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 06, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Belated 80th Birthday Greetings to a Member of Joe Kelly\'s Brain Trust
During the heyday of new information in the 1970s and 1980s, George Miller and I would travel to Whippany, NJ, to brief the engineers at Bell Teleephone Labs, Joe Kelly's Brain Trust who were responsible for System improvements. Often those engineers received new inf...
Views: 355   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 05, 2014
by Ed Smock
Weak Circuit Board
Having a garage door problem I called a local well respected repair company. I was advised that Wayne Dalton was not in the business any more and I needed to consider changing out the Quantum (Wayne Dalton) power head circuit boards because they are weak. Well I sp...
Views: 390   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 04, 2014
by J. Hummel
Atonement
Hi all fellow and fellowette OT's. I owe a slew of apologies to many of you for my actions, words and non-actions during my OT career. I now have 34 years sobriety dating back to COSL in 1979. I'll try to remember everyone but, in case I forget one or several e-mail...
Views: 477   Replies: 3
by OTA1 John Honeyc...
WALTER DAVID HOGGE - CPO (Retired) - UNITED STATES NAVY
My Dear Family, Friends, and Shipmates. Here is the Tuell-Mckee Bremerton LINK to Walt's Obituary. Had to have it perfect before I shared this with you. The original was posted to meet a deadline, for this weekend, but I caught three little errors that were really...
Views: 566   Replies: 4
by Randy Scott
Placentia Bridge Collapse
To all of the sailors stationed at Argentia over the years, you will remember the Placentia Lift Bridge that opened in 1961. Well, today the cables on one side of the bridge broke and the roadbed is now jammmed at an unuseable angle and cannot be used. My wife...
Views: 238   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 03, 2014
by Jim Gels
Personal comments for IUSS 60th Program - Due NLT 30 July 2014
Greetings all, As we prepare for the upcoming IUSS 60th Anniversary event on 20 September, 2014, I wanted to provide an opportunity for folks who are attending to have a personal comment, memory, thought, shout out included in a commemorative program that is being d...
Views: 675   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 02, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Hearing Aids, Part II: Information an Audiologist Provided
Discussed 'improved clarity" with an audiologist this morning. There is no "filtering" of the spectrum to limit system response to the region in which human speech occurs. The improve clarity is attributed to system ability to determine the sector from which...
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 01, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Successful Imaging of Giant Squid by Eliminating Hydraulic Noise on the Camera Platform
The linked site attributes successful imaging of giant squid in their deep-ocean environment to the use of optical bait and motor driven control systems rather than noisy hydraulically-driven systems. Hydraulic systems can operate at pressure as high as 3000-4500...
Views: 324   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 27, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Views: 412   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jul 24, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Still More from the BARENTS OBSERVER
Suggest those interested in Russian nuclear submarine developments routinely access the BARENTS OBSERVER site. Below is another item from that site: “Severodvinsk” is not the first post-Soviet submarine that faces challenges after tests during the...
Views: 340   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 23, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Another Interesting BARENTS SEA OBSERVER Article
Linked article (of 17 Jun 2014) says Barents and White Seas not deep enough for YASEN Class SSN deep dive trials; they must be conducted in the northeastern Norwegian Sea.
Views: 312   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
More on Carl Romney, A Giant in Many Fields, Including Ours
Following extracted from the AFTAC Notification CARL F. ROMNEY, JR On July 15, 2014, Carl F. Romney, Jr., died at home in Warrenton, VA. He was 90. He is survived by his wife of 68 years, Barbara Doughty Romney. Romney served in the Navy during WWII; earned...
Views: 336   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Carl Romney (1924-2014)
One of the very sad aspects of using acoustic data to determine why THRESHER, SCORPION and the K-129 were lost is that many of the major players in the original efforts were no longer alive to learn what was derived between 2008 and 2012 and understand that, in the c...
Views: 333   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 22, 2014
by Bruce Rule
A Suggested Explanation for Soviet/Russian Use of Tandem Submarine Propellers
BACKGROUND A tandem propeller utilizes a pair of conventional propellers fitted on the same shaft in series and rotated in the same direction. Tandem propellers should not be confused with previously discussed counter-rotating propellers which have two shaft li...
Views: 1158   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jul 21, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Passing of A Shipmate
It saddens me to report the passing of OTC Walt Hogge. Pat informed us that Walt passed on Friday the 18th. He had been ill for an extended period of time and finally passed due to multiple organ failure. More info as it becomes available. Robin
Views: 524   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 21, 2014
by Robin Hood
Performance Characteristics of the Pump-Jet KILO (Project 877V/ALROSA)
Max propeller shaft speed: 250 rpm. Max submerged speed: 17 knots. Turns-Per-Knot: 14.7 The ALROSA has been assigned to the Black Sea Fleet since it became operational in 1990. Data from open source.
Views: 799   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 20, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Spectacular images of the LADA Class Russian Diesel Submarine Disclose a Unique Feature
BACKGROUND The keel of the St Petersburg, the lead ship of the LADA Class , a new Russian diesel submarine (Project 677), was laid down in 1997. The hull was launched in 2004 and underwent an extended series of builders and Navy trials for the next six years....
Views: 379   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 19, 2014
by Bruce Rule
UPDATE: 145 tickets sold for IUSS 60th Anniversary as of 18 July.
UPDATE: 18 July 2014 145 individuals signed up for IUSS 60th Anniversary on 20 Sept 2014 Goal is 300. Last Name First Name Uecker Tom & Sandra 2 Zeeck Merrill & Caroline 2 Donovan Jim & Kathy 2 Schleis Mike & Kim 2 Fritz Susan & Michael 2 Nicoll Peter 1...
Views: 425   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 18, 2014
by Jim Donovan
NAVFAC Ball Caps
By some remote chance does anyone still have their NAVFAC Cape Hatteras ball cap. If so could you let me know the size of the letters.
Views: 424   Replies: 0
by Rick Bolin
Cannibalizing a Project 971 AKULA Class Russian SSN
If you go to the 13th image provided on the website linked below (http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-338.html), you will see the snow-covered stern of an AKULA Class SSN being moved into a construction hall in the Russian Northern Fleet. The caption translates, i...
Views: 389   Replies: 2
by Rick Matthews
Image of the USS ALBACORE (SS 569) Counter-Rotating Propellers
During what appears to have been the last of its many modifications, the ALBACORE was fitted with counter-rotating propellers: one shaft within the other, and rotated in opposite directions. The linked image shows this configuration and the "X" form control surfa...
Views: 371   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2014
by Bruce Rule
UK Barents Sea Submarine Operations
The following paras have been extracted from a review by a former senior US nuclear submarine officer of COLD WAR COMMAND, a book to be released this August which deals extensively with UK submarine operations in the Barents Sea (those "Northern Runs") against Soviet...
Views: 300   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 17, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Detailed Image of an AKULA Class SSN Maneuvering Thruster System Also Employed by BOREY Class SSBNs
If you go to http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-338.html, linked below, and scroll down to the fourth image, you will find a photo of one of the two maneuvering thrusters used by AKULA Class Russian SSNs. The caption - machine translated immediately below - indicate...
Views: 402   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Spectacular KILO Imagery on a Russian Website (with reference fixed)
http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-211.html, linked below, provides spectacular imagery of the six-bladed Project 877 KILO, the skewed, seven=bladed Project 636 KILO and the Project 877V, the ALROSA, 877V, with a pump jet (11-vaned stator, seven-bladed rotor
Views: 421   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 14, 2014
by Rick Greatting
24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33
Visits: