Start a New Topic 
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Brawdy Visit...
Going over to Haverfordwest with a party of 11; Chris and I, 2 daughters, 1 son-in-law and 6 grandkids to see where "Grammy" is from, and for 3 of the 6 to meet their Great Grandparents... Looking forward to enjoying a decent beer again! Renting a place in Little H...
Views: 468   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 02, 2014
by greg dyer
d
Dave_M
USNI PROCEEDINGS: Wired for Sound in the Near Seas
China is deploying an ocean-floor surveillance network to strengthen its antisubmarine-warfare capability. As China’s naval modernization program has shifted into high gear in recent years, numerous defense analysts, both inside and outside China, have right...
Views: 724   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 01, 2014
by Dave_M
Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton Jr. 1924 - 2014
Rear Admiral Jeremiah Denton Jr. 1924 - 2014 We have lost a great American Hero. Jeremiah Denton Jr., who as an American prisoner of war in Vietnam made the world aware of the abuse POWs were suffering, died Friday at 89 in a Virginia Beach hospice. He was a...
Views: 442   Replies: 3
Last Post: Mar 30, 2014
by Ed Dalrymple
Footnote to the ADM Rickover Posting
I should have included the following in the ADM Rickover posting to indicate just how "expensive" - in terms of horsepower (hp) - it is to increase the maximum submerged speed of a submarine. Based on information that indicates the WHISKY Class Soviet SS could ma...
Views: 908   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 28, 2014
by Bruce Rule
ADM Rickover: “If I could, I'd put the screw a mile behind the submarine.”
PREFACE Naval Research Laboratory SECRET Memorandum Report 3467 of March 1977 – declassified by US Government Memorandum 7100-038 of 26 February 2004 – is entitled “Very Low Frequency Acoustic Detection of Submarines.” The introduction o...
Views: 1921   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
New technology diesel submarines
As you can see, in reading the article provided, our current administration is cutting our military down. The potential advisaries of the U.S. are building theirs up! We have a partial answer right in front of our noses. Diesel submarines are less expensive to buil...
Views: 344   Replies: 0
by Dick Vermeulen
Don't Complain About Your Weather
As I write this email it’s -9°F at the summit with winds around 60mph. Needless to say, spring has not sprung on Mount Washington. We have received 55" of snow so far in March (10" above average for the month), putting us almost 50" above average for th...
Views: 336   Replies: 1
by Dick Vermeulen
Estimates Associated with Flight MH370
Combining the reported initial position of the wreckage with the best estimate for the flight path, MH370 impact would have been near 38S, 90E. The distance from that position to Bermuda is 9525 nautical miles. The bearing from Bermuda: 112. Using sound velocity i...
Views: 917   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Conjecture About the Impact Velocity of Flight MH-370
The latest reports of a probable MH370 debris field containing 122 objects suggest a high speed impact which further suggests MH370 flew at significant altitude until it ran out of fuel and was then intentionally put into a steep dive; as expected, no attempt to g...
Views: 923   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 26, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Flight MH370
I wonder if anyone has contacted the Comprehensive Nuclear‑Test‑Ban Treaty Organization (CTBTO) to see if either of their Hydroacoustic monitoring stations in the IO detected anything they can't account for? http://www.ctbto.org/map/ HA01 is off Aus...
Views: 491   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 25, 2014
by Rick Greatting
Sticking My Nose (As Usual) Where It Does Not Belong
INMARSAT has passed the following to those engineers working the Flight MH-370 signal intercept issue. If the precise frequency of the MH-370 transmissions is known, and compared with the intercepted value, you can, by applying the cosine values of estimates for...
Views: 1016   Replies: 9
by George Widenor
Flight MH-370 and Doppler
From the BBC World News: "Inmarsat, which is feeding into the official investigation, spent the weekend reviewing all of its flight MH370 data. Doppler effect In particular, it examined the frequency spectrum of the ping transmissions and how they differed w...
Views: 381   Replies: 2
by Bruce Rule
Rick Gates where are you
Hey Rick, can you drop me a line please? Have some questions for you. Abie
Views: 392   Replies: 1
by Rick Gates
Documenting Unique Events, Some of Which May Apply to the MH370 event
The writer was the Missile Impact Location (MILS) Officer at Eleuthera in 1959-1960. During this period, a JUPITER Intermediate Range Ballistic Missile (IRBM) was fired from the Cape to its minimum range of 325 nautical miles (nm), the impact point for which was ab...
Views: 865   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
ID Cards
Was told by a Petty Officer at the main gate at Great Lakes last week that wife and I should go to PSD and get new ID cards without SSN. They now issue a card with a new DOD Number. ZFK-1 chuck
Views: 453   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 21, 2014
by Chuck Cable
'Seismic Event' Close to Missing Jet Path: China Scientists
Hmmm...... BEIJING - A “seismic event” consistent with an airplane crash has been detected on the sea floor close to where the missing Malaysia Airlines jet lost contact with air traffic control on Saturday, Chinese scientists said Friday. The signa...
Views: 527   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 14, 2014
by Chuck Cable
It's cold and I need an indoor hobby
It's to darn cold to go outside and play so I need something to do indoors, any suggestions?
Views: 531   Replies: 15
Last Post: Mar 13, 2014
by Ed Dalrymple
A Classic Example of the Soviet/Russian Axiom: "Better is the Enemy of Good Enough."
BACKGROUND The axiom (motto) “Better is the Enemy of Good Enough” is reputed to have hung on the wall in the office of ADM Sergey Gorshkov, for many years the Commander-in-Chief of the Soviet Navy. In essence, the phrase means that one should not se...
Views: 990   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 08, 2014
by Bruce; DLW; GPW
A Prediction About the BOREY Class Russian Ballistic Missile Nuclear Submarine (SSBN)
BACKGROUND Emily Lakdawalla, who writes very knowledgeably for the Planetary Society about NASA's planetary programs, published the following on her blog: "It's an irony that is central to pretty much all of science that you usually have to predict the possibil...
Views: 1914   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 08, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Another Posting for Chuck
See link for a few laughs. Somehow I missed this in real time.
Views: 457   Replies: 4
Last Post: Mar 07, 2014
by John W Ellis
O JULIETT, JULIETT, Wherefore art thou JULIETT?
O Juliett, Juliett, wherefore art thou Juliett? Gone to the scrap heap almost every one, including number 484 once on exhibit at the Saratoga Museum in Providence, RI, where it sank at its pier during a really bad storm several years after providing the interior shot...
Views: 1590   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 04, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Intelligence in The Public Literature
The linked site provides an excellent review of both the film and the book that describe the CIA effort to recover the GOLF-II Soviet ballistic missile submarine (K-129) lost on 11 March 1968 at 40-04-05N, 179-57-03E where the water depth was 16,400 feet. The live...
Views: 1003   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 04, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Views: 360   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 02, 2014
by Bruce Rule
A Russian Discussion of Submarine Gear Noise (Dated But Still Useful)
PREFACE Those who may conclude this posting has little practical application should remember statements in my archived article entitled "Philosophically Speaking" that those now on active duty at CUS or elsewhere in the System should do their own research, develop...
Views: 1581   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
No One Posting???
Nothing to post???????????? Chuck
Views: 324   Replies: 0
by Chuck Cable
More on the Enormous Power of Submarine Pressure-Hull Collapse Events
As discussed in a THRESHER article already archived on this site, analysis of acoustic data confirmed the pressure-hull of the USS SCORPION collapsed at 18:42:34Z (GMT) on 22 May 1968 at a depth of 1530-feet (680 psi) with an en energy release equal to the explosion...
Views: 985   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 27, 2014
by Bruce Rule
r
RussL
Views: 374   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 25, 2014
by RussL
Obituary - Mrs. Susie Parrish
It is with deep regret that I note the passing of Mrs. Susie Parrish, wife of Commodore, CAPT John Parrish, USN (Ret). Condolences can be sent at the attached link. http://www.burch-messier.com/bedford-funerals-and-obituaries-69 Susan Hegener Parrish "Susie", J...
Views: 1034   Replies: 5
by Roberta Carr
Correct My Last Posting on the KIROV CGN Specifications to Read
2 nuclear reactors KN-3 (x300 MW, 2x70000 hp), GTZA-653, 2 fixed pitch propellers, 4 steam electric turbines (x3000 kW), 4 gas electric turbines (x1500 kW)
Views: 866   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Best Website Yet on Characteristics of Soviet/Russian Naval Platforms Including Submarines
The website http://russian-ships.info/eng/submarines/ – with a link below - provides detailed information on Soviet and Russian nuclear and diesel submarines to include (for many) hull designations (K numbers), shipyard, lay-down, launch, commissioning dates an...
Views: 1307   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Acoustic Signal Propagation and Ice Noise in the Arctic Basin
There is a significant “volume” of misinformation about the propagation of low frequency acoustic energy within and across the Arctic Basin. The following abstract, from http://anchor.apl.washington.edu/papers/TAP.pdf provides useful information in this s...
Views: 891   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 22, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Gram rolling contests !!
About 8 years ago I untertook a huge task of being in charge of converting an empty steel framed structure into our present day church. I had a grand total of about 25K to work with - and all the volunteers I could recruit. From start-to-finish, we did about $50...
Views: 609   Replies: 21
Last Post: Feb 21, 2014
by Jane Wright
EXECUTE AGAINST JAPAN, a Book Well Worth Reading
This book draws its title from a message sent by ADM Harold Stark, the CNO, to every commander with forces in the Pacific Ocean at 1222 Hawaii time (HT) on 7 Dec 1941 in response to the Japanese attack on Pearl Harbor which began at 0755 HT. That message read: (qu...
Views: 1008   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 20, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Passing of Jim Lapp
I received this message from former Commodore Doug Simon via Ed Smock this morning: I just received a phone call from Shirley Lapp who is in Florida, Jim died yesterday afternoon around 4 PM from what Shirley told me was a stroke. I notified d Haven, his was the o...
Views: 603   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 20, 2014
by Ed Smock
Passing of Kenneth C Davis OTC
We received a call from Ken's daughter Kimberly today Jan. 24th that Ken had succumbed to cancer last evening. Ken is survived by his wife Mitsuyo and one daughter Kimberly. I first met Ken in Kef. Aug 76. I have many fond memories of our fishing trips to the chai...
Views: 651   Replies: 15
Last Post: Feb 18, 2014
by Kimberly Bishop
Re-connect NAV FAC BRAWDY ans PACIFIC BEACH ALUMNI
Looking to re-connect with Nav Fac Brawdy alums from 1974 through 1975 and Nav Fac Pacific Beach alums from 1976 through 1977. Bill Wingo EX OT2
Views: 472   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 16, 2014
by John W Ellis
Nascar #3
Sooo.... How many of you are ditching your driver for #3 on the pole for his first Sprint Cup race? Dillon has great talent but I'm NOT giving up on Kasey Kahne.
Views: 408   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 16, 2014
by Ben Raugh
Chief James C Stokes - NavFac Eleuthera
Hello, My name is Angela Stokes Mays, My dad is James C Stokes. I am writing to let you know he passed away on January 16, 2014. The reason I am writing is I notice you emailed him quite a bit and I just want to let his friends know of his passing. His funeral i...
Views: 469   Replies: 1
Last Post: Feb 13, 2014
by John Heizer
More on Project 636.3 Russian KILOs Now Under Construction
Further Internet research confirms the experimental Soviet BELUGA Class diesel submarine, built primarily to test an advanced hull design with and without polymer ejection, confirms the use of a 5500 hp (at 500 rpm) main motor, the same rating as the PG-141 and PG-14...
Views: 945   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 11, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Passing of OTMC Howard Butts
It is with a very heavy heart that I come to members of the IUSSCAA in learning of the death of a very dear friend and shipmate, OTMC Howard Butts. I got the news by phone this morning from Howard's daughter, Eva. Howard was predeceased by his wife, Barbara, several...
Views: 494   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 11, 2014
by Denny Conrad
Off Topic: Ralph Kiner (1922-2014)
Heroic figure of my childhood fantasies, Gone into a February sunset, With unsullied numbers: 51, 40, 54, 47, 42. Thank you for being with us so long. Those who watched you play, Will soon follow after. Now approaching 80, I owe what facility with - and...
Views: 425   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 10, 2014
by Bruce Rule
A Problem for the Membership to Consider
Wikipedia provides the following: In aeronautics and marine hydrodynamics, the advance ratio at which a propeller is operating is the ratio between the distance the propeller moves forward through the fluid during one revolution, and the diameter of the propeller....
Views: 1150   Replies: 5
Last Post: Feb 09, 2014
by Peter Johnson
The LADA Class, The Russian Diesel Submarine the Russian Navy Would Not Accept
The following article is written primarily for use by active-duty System analysts but, hopefully, will be of interest to those now retired. References available upon request; specify area of interest. Starting in 1986, the Soviet Union, and since 1992 the Russian...
Views: 1478   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 09, 2014
by Bruce Rule
USS New Jersey Photo in All hands
I vididly remember a photo of the Jersey firing a broadside, taken from diretly above. It clearly showed the ship driven sideways a good 50 feet by the force of the shots. I've tried to find the photo, without any luck. Hoping that someone on here can recall the p...
Views: 484   Replies: 6
Last Post: Feb 07, 2014
by Lorren Jackson
Useful information on TYPHOON Class Russian SSBN propellers from the Internet.
(You will need to highlight, copy, and paste links into your browser) (http://www.falconbbs.com/typhoon-sub.jpg) shows a remarkable photo of the stern configuration of a TYPHOON with shrouded, 7-bladed propellers. (http://www.pinterest.com/pin/971095541667342...
Views: 2067   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 06, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Jack Fessler
Any one have an update on Jack?
Views: 632   Replies: 4
Last Post: Feb 05, 2014
by John Heizer
Stephen Brown
Anybody know where OTMCS(RET) Stephen Brown is now. I lost contact with him after he retired and moved to St. Louis, MO.
Views: 581   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 03, 2014
by Steve Brown
Newgale bus rescue....
Anyone remember Lyndon and his van??? This bus driver and his passengers know how he felt! Newgale closed for the second time in a month. http://www.westerntelegraph.co.uk/news/county/10981208.10_rescued_after_bus_hit_by_wave_at_Newgale/?ref=var_0&ref=mmsp
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 02, 2014
by greg dyer
Update - Howard Butts passing
The following information is provided for those interested in further information regarding the recent death of Howard Butts - and to convey expressions of sympathy to his family members: Howard E. Butts, USN (Retired) January 24, 1942 - January 20, 2014 Ellio...
Views: 533   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 24, 2014
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
Assessment of Why SCORPION Was Lost by an Exceptionally Qualified Submarine Officer
Comment: the following assessment, which is technically complex but well worth a very careful reading, was originally posted on http://www.usna63.org/tradition/ as http://www.usna63.org/tradition/Bob-LasGassa-Insights.pdf Note especially that this assessment, mad...
Views: 1635   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 20, 2014
by Bruce Rule
26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35
Visits: