Start a New Topic 
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Your First Navy Christmas
Your First “Navy Christmas”? Where (and when) were you stationed for your first “Navy Christmas”? I was at the FSS Key West, FL behind the “green door” – 1954. It seems like yesterday however, it was 60 Christmases ago! &...
Views: 647   Replies: 42
Last Post: Jan 03, 2015
by Michelle Weddle
Response to Duane Brosdahl on Norway
Duane: Happy to oblige: will pass your posting to Ragnar or further dissem; however, I need your email address. If the Svein you refer to is Svein Lund, for many years the Station Chief at Andoya, he had been dead several years when I last visited the site in 1...
Views: 443   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 02, 2015
by Bruce Rule
The X-FAC at Eleuthera
Herb Jollett reminded me of the BTL Experimental Facility (X-FAC) "down the hill" from the subsequently built NAVFAC. The X-FAC was run on a pretty casual basis by "Pappy" Clark, the BTL engineer in charge. On one occasion, Pappy gave a 12 inch reel of quarter...
Views: 385   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 02, 2015
by Bruce Rule
Cataract Lens Replacement Issues
After having eyesight better than 20/20 for most of my life, I began to develop cataracts in both eyes in my mid-70s. When the cataracts began to affect my driving – especially at night – I had a far-focus Intraoccular Lens (IOL) - placed in the left (...
Views: 309   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 01, 2015
by Bruce Rule
SOSUS Versus the German Type XXI SS
SOSUS VERSUS THE GERMAN TYPE XXI SS Those interested in the Battle of the Atlantic fought during WWII against German submarines may have conjectured how the US Sound Surveillance System (SOSUS) would have performed against snorkel-equipped Type XXI submarines had...
Views: 1886   Replies: 1
by Duane Brosdahl (...
Home Depot - Reserved Parking Spot for "Combat Wounded"
Saw this Sign in the Olathe Home Depot Parking today, it is Great Reserved Parking Spot for "Combat Wounded". Thank You Home Deport.
Views: 381   Replies: 0
by John Heizer
Fond Memories of Herb Jollett, Happily Still With Us
Herb Jollett came to ONI - then NAVSTIC – about 1966 from Adak as an E-8 who ended his naval service after 16 years because, for personal reasons, he did not want to return to sea. Not only was Herb an outstanding analyst, he was – and remains - the o...
Views: 410   Replies: 3
by Jerry Juliana
Your Most Memorable Navy (not necessarily the best) New Year
I so enjoyed reading the stories in response to Smokey's post about your first Navy Christmas, I thought some of you might be inclined to "gin up" one about your most memorable New Year's experience. Here's one, to start: Myself and three Navy buddies flew off San...
Views: 408   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 31, 2014
by Jerry Juliana
Merry Christmas
With the amount of turmoil in the world today, stop for a minute, look across the table or the room and be thankful for the important things: family, friends, happiness and life. Let us not forget a prayer for all our veterans and active service members dedicated to...
Views: 392   Replies: 7
Last Post: Dec 25, 2014
by John Ellis
Destruction of America's military
The enemies of the west are gaining ground quickly in their military capabilities. The Russians and Chinese have made big advances in their Navies. They are really putting money into their upgrades and it is showing. We must not allow our military to be degraded as...
Views: 463   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 24, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
NAVFAC patches
Ahoy! I served at NAVFAC Ramey as a duty section supvr in Comm from 1967-69 and collected a few jacket patches from some of the other NAVFACS. Since I served only at Ramey, these patches don't have as much meaning to me as they might to someone who did actually ser...
Views: 536   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 23, 2014
by Ron Doke
Sea Spy hats
Ever since Bob Ballard called us the Sea Spies in the National Geographic Special ,I have wanted a hat that said that,so I have finally had one made . I put it out there on the IUSS web page on face book and those hats are ordered and paid for If you are interested i...
Views: 470   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 22, 2014
by Lee M Schillinge...
For Randy Scott, et al: A Remarkably Successful Historical Research Effort.
For as long as my wife can remember, and for years before that, her family has had a Confederate Flag that measures 20 by 33 inches: a ratio of 3 X 5. The only “history” associated with the flag is that it was recovered from a battlefield by a member...
Views: 434   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 18, 2014
by Randy Scott
The Real Cause of the American Revolution
Rum helped spur on the American Revolution. It is estimated that around 3 gallons of rum were consumed per person per year in the American colonies shortly before the American Revolution. Rum production was also colonial New England’s largest industry. The...
Views: 373   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 18, 2014
by Randy Scott
Charlie Heffner
Just read on Facebook Charlie passed away. Happened this morning I think but know he had been in hospice. Sorry but that's all the info I have. It was posted by his nephew.
Views: 494   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 17, 2014
by Chuck Cable
Looking for owner of Navy ring
Please check out the link below. Anyone have contacts with Great Lakes boot camp to research records?
Views: 234   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2014
by Former OTA Kyle
More on Russian Economic Chaos - If You Are Interested
See linked site. Sample quote: The amount of rubles local borrowers have to give up to pay off foreign debt obligations just increased by 20 percent overnight, by 50 percent since the start of this month, and by 90% since the start of November…. The effectiv...
Views: 325   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Pictures of NAVFAC Brawdy
To All, While going through some boxes that have not been opened through two moves, have come across some 8x10 aerial photos of NAVFAC Brawdy (5 to be precise) If anyone is interested in a them, please let me know. Thanks, Bob Ainsworth OTMCS USN(Ret).
Views: 500   Replies: 2
by Bob Ainsworth
Russian Economic Collapse: Rouble Near One US Cent in Value (See Comment on PossibleSub Ops Impact))
(Quote from the Linked BBC Site) Russia's rouble went into free-fall in Tuesday trading, falling repeatedly to record lows, despite the central bank's dramatic decision to raise interest rates from 10.5% to 17%. The rate rise was meant to strengthen the currency....
Views: 361   Replies: 1
by John Ellis
Kennedy Assassination and Pearl Harbor
I could not help but notice that TV/News coverage of the Kennedy assasination, just over 51 years ago, was noticeably lacking this year. Hardly a mention of that fateful day in our nation's history. If this day in our history is no longer remembered and covered in...
Views: 410   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 15, 2014
by Marshall Pittman
Where does the time go??
After leaving on a bus on 12/03/1965 from the Kingston, NY post office and heading to Albany, NY for Induction into the US Navy. This was followed by a train trip to Recruit Training Center Great Lakes IL. That was 49 years ago. Time fly's when you are not looking...
Views: 508   Replies: 15
Last Post: Dec 09, 2014
by Chuck
OTCM Tom Fogerty
Today is Tom Fogerty's birthday. He would have been 76. Tom was a true friend and a leader. Tom made a real difference to the ITASS program. RIP
Views: 484   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 08, 2014
by greg dyer
Happy Thanksgiving to All
Hope everyone enjoys Turkey Day with loved ones. Chuck & Linda
Views: 298   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 05, 2014
by John Ellis
Another Very Important Medical Test Almost No One Does
The linked site discusses the value of comparing ankle blood pressure with arm blood pressure (the Ankle Brachial Index). Following paragraph quoted from the linked site: "The Ankle Brachial Index (ABI) is the systolic pressure at the ankle, divided by the systoli...
Views: 367   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 02, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Reposting a 2012 Article on Impact of Russian Economic Woes on New Sub Construction
The linked site states that Russia - with its new submarine construction program - is flexing economic muscles it does not have, as discussed by most recent articles also posted on this site.
Views: 298   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 01, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Niacin or Niaspan
If anyone is taking the subject drug consult your Doctor ASAP. There is an article from studies conducted by Northwestern.edu that my Dr. gave me on my 6 month visit. He took me off Niaspan (1500 mg a day) ASAP. I attempted to list the entire web site in a previous...
Views: 468   Replies: 6
by Bruce Rule
good friends
I heard from my good friend john ellis tonight about not being able to attend the dinner (me)...I remember john from cosl and some of the inspection trips that we make together....he was already a chief but he took pity on a lowly first class like me and was always r...
Views: 561   Replies: 12
by Chuck
November 2014 edition of The Cable is published
The November 2014 issues of the IUSS-CAESAR Alumni Association Newsletter, THE CABLE, and Member Directory are published. Currently paid up members (all 699 of us) should expect to receive an email today or tomorrow with links to both 26 page documents. The CAB...
Views: 640   Replies: 6
Last Post: Nov 29, 2014
by Russ "OB" Ober...
The "Lost" Pacific Beach Detection, Winter 60-61?
The Underwater Cuban Missile Crisis: Soviet Submarines and the Risk of Nuclear War National Security Archive Electronic Briefing Book No. 399 (see linked site) states: (quote) Since 27 September 1962, the U.S. Navy had been tracking the subs using listening posts...
Views: 825   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 27, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Follow-Up on Long Article on an Economically Weakened Russia
My previous posting - linked again - on the impact of lower oil prices on the Russian economy noted that an OPEC decision to cut production would come in November and, if implemented, would stabilize the price of crude oil and help Russia. Well, OPEC, led by Saudi...
Views: 290   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
A Long Article Worth Reading on Why Russia is Now Weaker than the Soviet UnionWas in 1991
Take the time to read the linked article. It is fascinating not only in historical terms but also with respect to what Russia can achieve militarily now and in the immediate future.S Summary paragraph from site linked below: Russia had a window of opportunity a...
Views: 334   Replies: 1
by greg dyer
Cooperative Japanese-Australian Diesel Sub Development Effort
TOKYO -- Japan and the U.S. are considering increasing military cooperation with Australia by sharing submarine technology. Australia currently owns six Collins-class diesel-electric submarines, based on an old design. Their capabilities are limited, acco...
Views: 302   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 25, 2014
by Bruce Rule
PBS Documentary on Rickover
PBS DOCUMENTARY 9 December 2014 RICKOVER: THE BIRTH OF NUCLEAR POWER RICKOVER: The Birth of Nuclear Power will broadcast on PBS, December 9th at 8 p.m. (check local listings). Combative, provocative and searingly blunt, Admiral Hyman G. Rickover was a fl...
Views: 397   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 23, 2014
by Bruce Rule
The Value of Engineering Inputs to Analyses of Acoustic Data
Russ: Please archive this posting.. As previously discussed, collateral assessments made primarily from System data have been of great value to the US submarine design community. For example, the requirement for a 30+ knot speed capabilty of the 688 Class SSN was,...
Views: 853   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 23, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Fun and Games at ONI: the Potassium-Creosote Reactor
Now many years ago, when those responsible at ONI were first giving serious consideration to possible Soviet development and use of a liquid-metal (lead-bismuth) nuclear reactor for submarines (the ALFA), I wrote an in-house technical position-paper on a parallel So...
Views: 323   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Loss of another Shipmate
I recently and most sadly learned that we have lost another great shipmate. OT2 Lyman McNutt whom I was stationed with in Bermuda in 1970 has passed away following a courageous battle with cancer. My deepest sympathy and prayers go out to his family.
Views: 536   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 20, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
November 9th is Bob Koutelis Day
On November 9, 1969 a rubber raft capsized on the reef at Ritidian Point, Guam. STG3 Robert Koutelis volunteered to swim out to the reef to help and lost his life trying to save the lives of others. When you hear the phrase "All gave some, some gave all" think of...
Views: 349   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 17, 2014
by Mark Koutelis
Evidence????
The scars on the bottom - see link - put forth by Sweden as evidence for the postulated submarine incursion well into their territorial waters could have been made by anything dragged across the bottom.
Views: 437   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 14, 2014
by Bruce Rule
A Fun to Think About Counter to Russian Naval Activity Near Australia
Publish, without comment, a photo taken of one of the Russian surface ships through a periscope.
Views: 347   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
The Loss of the USS Scorpion: Myths, Legends, & Reality
The Loss of the USS Scorpion: Myths, Legends, & Reality The subect of this posting is the title of an article written by Tom Dougherty, and previously disseminated in October 2012 in THE PERISCOPE, a monthly publication of the Los Angeles/Pasadena Base of THE UNI...
Views: 1200   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Bob Merritt
Had someone ask me if I had any recent info regard Bob Merritt. Appreciate any help I can get. Thanks.
Views: 429   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 13, 2014
by Ray Edmondson
OT "license plates"
I recently bought an OT rating insignia license plate from an online company. The owner is a Navy veteran with a family run business. Shipping was fast; the tag looks good, and is AMERICAN made (for a change!). The website also offers many other Navy ratings, as w...
Views: 571   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 13, 2014
by Rick Bolin
VETERAN'S DAY - 11/11/2014
To all who have served in the Armed Forces of the USA I salute all those: past and present for your service to our country. Yesterday, my daughters and I attended church, then had lunch at a nice restaurant, attended a 2-hour concert put on by an amazing orchestr...
Views: 341   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 11, 2014
by John Heizer
Submarine Support Facility in the Russian High Arctic?
Although Russia has made some noise about "returning" their strategic submarine assets (SSBNs) to patrolling in the southern hemisphere, that concept doesn't make much sense in terms of their ability to protect those assets with "on-call" capabiliities in proximity t...
Views: 370   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 08, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Seventeen Soviet Nuclear Sub Accidents Killed 266 Personnel Between 1960 and 1989
See linked site for grim details including the loss of the K-8 NOVEMBER Class in there Bay of Biscay in 1970 when 52 personnel who already had been evacuated were ordered back onboard by higher authority. As previously discussed by an archived article, only the...
Views: 969   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 07, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Soviet Era Problems Stil Plague Russian Nuclear Submarine Construction
In examining many of the sites linked in recent postings, it became evident that, historically, Soviet shipyards frequently were forced to deliver new construction nuclear submarines which still have numerous technical problems, the deadline being more important that...
Views: 825   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 06, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Photo Library
I get nothing but blue background when I click on the photo library....what gives?
Views: 509   Replies: 10
Last Post: Nov 06, 2014
by Irving DeMatties
Vote Today
At the risk of, perhaps, violating a posting policy on this website, I would encourage everyone to vote today. Today is one of the most important midterm elections in the past decade. It is said that only about 38% of American citizens will vote in this electi...
Views: 370   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 05, 2014
by Rick Gates
Soviet Nuclear Submarine Electrical Systems: Automated Turbine-Generators
Circa 1970, the ONI acoustics shop encountered strong disagreement from US Naval Reactors who maintained the Soviets would never use dc motor-driven main coolant pumps in their first generation nuclear submarines (N, H, E) because of coolant leakage. They were right...
Views: 867   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
The Biggest Losers in the KY Senate Race were the States Largest Circulation Newspapers
The biggest losers in the Kentucky Senate race were the Louisville and Lexington newspapers that, two weeks ago,said the McConnell-Grimes race was dead even and, last week, gave McConnell a five percent lead. McConnell won by 15 percent (56 to 41).
Views: 288   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31
Visits: