Start a New Topic 
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Dawn of the Soviet Nuclear Propulsion System Program
In the late 1960s, the writer spent a lot of time trying to tie Soviet work on German WWII submarine designs with the Soviet nuclear submarine program including the opportunity to interview Helmet Walther who pioneered closed-cycle systems such as the German Type XXV...
Views: 809   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 04, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Jeff Dodge, Then at ONI, Nailed This Which Was One of Our Most Sophisticated Derivations
Two different models of the Liquid Metal Coolant-type reactor were developed for the Alfa-class submarines, VM-40 A reactor with two separate steam loops and circulating pumps, and the OK-550 steam system with branched first-loop lines and triple circulating loops an...
Views: 332   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
The World's Longest Submarine: 400 Miles
Circa 1972, there was a joke within the Intelligence Community that the lead unit of the ALFA Class Soviet SSN was - at 400 miles - the world's longest submarine: the bow was in Severodvinsk in the Soviet arctic while the machinery spaces and stern were in the Admira...
Views: 323   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
"The Three Stooges Work on a Nuclear Submarine"
The subject of this posting is quoted from the linked article which provides details of Soviet nuclear submarine accidents, some of which are truly appalling. FYI: K-222 was the PAPA Class SSGN. Not included in the article is the previously discussed accident...
Views: 1040   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Russia making advances
We all have seen how Mr. Putin is putting Russia's military first in funding! Our President, on the other hand, is cutting deployments of battle groups and extending them while they are deployed. He is also cutting down on maintenance expenses. This has our Admiral...
Views: 416   Replies: 2
by Bruce Rule
Resolving an Ancient Issue that Ed Smock, and a Few Others May Recall
Before ONI - then STIC - with lots of help from Ernie Castillo - took over the evaluation function for the System in 1964, it was handled by the Data Processing Unit (DPU) at the Brooklyn Naval Shipyard. DPU had been established by Joe Kelly circe 1955. The docume...
Views: 919   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 01, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Baseball Memories
I've been a Yankees fan since the 50's. I don't follow them closely any longer as most of the players are older than me, make way too much money and don't win very often. That said, one season was magical and will always be my favorite. Those of you who follow bas...
Views: 522   Replies: 17
by Nick McConnell
Chinese nuclear submarines
Remember the movie where the government sends a helicopter to pick up Clint Eastwood at his secluded home for a TOP SECRET mission in Russia? We need that to happen and one picks up Bruce Rule and takes him to work with Tom "Gator" Moore and get all the analysis don...
Views: 490   Replies: 2
by Jim Donovan
Learning from the Swedes
As expected, Swedish authorities have now acknowledged that the intruding submarine has left the area. The linked site provides a useful summary of past incidents in Swedish waters. What is not mentioned - if my memory is correct - is the incident where the object...
Views: 357   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 24, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Russian sub in trouble?
If this is true, the submarine must be in trouble. I don't think it was a sighting of a Swedish fiord "NESSIE!" Just saying.
Views: 479   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 22, 2014
by Bruce Rule
For Those Who May Have Missed It: Wreck of the Type VIIC U-576 Found off NC Coast
Another sad memory of WWII: both the US and German sides. For the acoustic characteristics of the German Type VIIC, see the writer's archived article entitled: "SOSUS Versus the German Type XXI SS." Bottom line: had SOSUS been operational in 1942, it woyld hav...
Views: 368   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2014
by Bruce Rule
WHISKY on the Rocks Link
Click on the link below for details of the WHISKY on the Rocks fiasco.
Views: 351   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 21, 2014
by Bruce Rule
ACTION: Annual Call for Cable Newsletter Articles - Due 15 Oct 2014
Greetings, all. It's time again to publish another edition of "The Cable", the official newsletter of the IUSS CAESAR Alumni Association. The last issue was published in November of 2013. As usual, we are hoping to publish this year's newsletter before Thanksgivin...
Views: 367   Replies: 5
Last Post: Oct 19, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Extracts from the Declassified Pollard Damage Assessment Includes Ref to SOSUS
Selected Excerpts from a Strategic Culture Foundation Article entitled ”Israeli Spy Was Central Cog in Nuclear Proliferation Alliance.” Wayne MADSEN | 13.01.2013 | 00:00 The declassification of the long-classified Pollard report was made on December 1...
Views: 411   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 18, 2014
by Bruce Rule
The seahorses on the wallpapers
Very neat to include the seahorses on the wallpaper. That was close to what we wanted to do in 69-70 when we went from st's to ot's somehow we ended with the trident.
Views: 403   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 18, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
U.S. Navy Birthday (Oct 13, 1775) - 239 years old
I was born and grew up near Whitehall, NY - so, as the "Birthplace of the U.S. Navy" on October 13, 1775, it was a fitting location and venue for my retirement from the Navy in July of 1981. As part of my strong connection to this area of our country, I thought it...
Views: 435   Replies: 7
Last Post: Oct 15, 2014
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
First in New Class of British Attack Boat Completes Maiden Deployment
HMS ASTUTE (S-94) completed her maiden deployment on 7 Oct. Connect with story at Link To: or cut and paste this in the address bar of your web browser: http://news.usni.org/2014/10/09/first-new-class-british-attack-boat-completes-maiden-deployment?utm_source=USN...
Views: 418   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 14, 2014
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
Photo tour of French SSBN Redoubtable
ZUI http://www.cnet.com/pictures/a-tour-of-the-ballistic-missile-submarine-redoutable/ INT QSL BT
Views: 368   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 11, 2014
by Lorren Jackson
Small Correction to DAKAR Posting
The estimated collapse depths of the MIKE and the NOVEMBER were, respectively, 4921 and 1250 feet, not 5000 and 980 feet as stated in the DAKAR posting.. So, the values by which the four collapse events exceeded predicted values were, respective to the post, were...
Views: 302   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 08, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Apparent Failure Mode of the Israeli (INS) DAKAR Pressure-Hull
A Jun 2013 MIT doctoral thesis in Ocean Engineering (see last paras for details) describes failure modes for the hydrostatic collapse of test cylinders. One mode involves deformation and failure along the entire length of the cylinder. A former British T Class die...
Views: 909   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 07, 2014
by Bruce Rule
"Our Book"
All, - “Our Book” At the 60th I had some requests for an electronic copy of the latest update to “Our Book”. If you send me an e-mail request (“not through this site”) I will be glad to provide it. esmock@cornerturn.com Due to...
Views: 454   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 07, 2014
by Ed Smock
Off Topic : Revenge of the Junk-Mailers
Several years ago, I bought a shredder into which unsolicited junk-mail from local merchants, numerous charities in addition to those to which we give, political messages , etc, went UNOPENED. Two days ago, the shredder gave up the ghost after making an enormous...
Views: 315   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 02, 2014
by Bruce Rule
The 60th Reunion Gala, Best One Ever!!!!
What a weekend!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The 60th Reunion Gala was a fun time. I tried to tell everyone that was involved in setting up the event that it was "The best one ever". I'm sure I missed someone so I think its appropriate that the entire community know the folks...
Views: 510   Replies: 3
Last Post: Oct 01, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Unidentified IUSS 60th Photos
There were 5 pictures uploaded without any identifying information and whoever uplodaed them did not enter an email address (or the upload did not pass it through) so I cannot contact anybody directly. I have placed the images in the IUSS 60th library with just a...
Views: 637   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 27, 2014
by Webmaster
Photo Library
Good morning folks, Are we experiencing problems with the photo library or is just on my end?
Views: 527   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 26, 2014
by Webmaster
Instructors at Key West OT school
I think that the OT's at the school in Key West, Fl. were top notch. I had OT1 Phil Blauvelt (in 75') and he not only did a fine job getting the information into my thick head but he also was a good guy! We had a heck of a good time there and learned while we did h...
Views: 494   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 24, 2014
by Mark Otto
Photo Library - IUSS 60th Reunion
Hello everybody, In anticipation of everyone at the upcoming reunion taking lots of great pictures, I have created a new section in the photo library for the IUSS 60th Reunion. In the past, there has been some confusion as to uploading photos to our library. I...
Views: 556   Replies: 1
by Jim Donovan
Search Continues for Missing East Haven Man - Jack Lecza
FYI. Link provides details and a current picture of Jack Lecza, missing since 29 March, 2013. As of today there is no additional information. OT1 Jack Lecza served in the Navy from 1976 to 1984 at NAVFAC Grand Turk, NAVFAC Keflavik, COSL, NOPF Ford Island and...
Views: 1262   Replies: 6
by dewey
AWARD: OTACS Milke Weir, USN (Ret) - CAPT Kelly Awards, 20 September 2014
CAPT Kelly Awards, 20 September 2014 as presented at the IUSS 60th Anniversary celebration. Citation reads as follows: Mr. Michael “Mike” Weir Mr. Weir has been working within the SURTASS, SOSUS, and IUSS community for more than 46 years. Serving...
Views: 236   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 22, 2014
by Director IUSS CA...
AWARD: Mr. George Miller - CAPT Kelly Awards, 20 September 2014
As presented during the IUSS 60th Anniversary celebration of 20 September 2014. Mr. George Miller. Citation reads as follows: Mr. Miller began his career in SOSUS/IUSS in 1960, qualifying and serving as a Watch Officer at NAVFACs Pacific Beach and San Nicolas...
Views: 174   Replies: 0
by Director IUSS CA...
AWARD: OTCM George Widenor, USN (Ret) - CAPT Kelly Awards, 20 September 2014
As presented at the IUSS 60th Anniversary celebration of 20 September, 2012. Citation reads as follows: Master Chief Widenor’s entire naval career beginning in November 1959 to his retirement 22 years later was dedicated to the Integrated Undersea Surveilla...
Views: 366   Replies: 0
by Director IUSS CA...
Funny switch and marriage
There were two people stationed at Arg. N.F. in the 70's One was an OT named Frank Gendusa and the other a postal clerk named Mike Gau. They both went on a double date and they both ended up marrying the others date of that night!! I knew Frank (up in Iceland) and...
Views: 454   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 21, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
HAppy Hour
What a great time last night, can't wait for tonight!
Views: 366   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 20, 2014
by Chris Schneider
FINAL Update: IUSS 60th Anniversary (19-21 Sep 2014)
FINAL UPDATE - IUSS 60th Anniversary Reunion 166 attending the Friday night Happy Hour 288 attending the Saturday night dinner party 3 Admirals (VADM Mike Connor, RDML Gretchen Specht Herbert and RADM Diane Webber) attending 2 former Commodores (CAPT Doug S...
Views: 737   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Off Topic: Potentially Usefully Medical Information Site Members Should Verify
As most on this site probably are aware, age and early exposure to lots of sun can produce skin cancer initially as benign karatosis – usually on the face, forearms or head. These are often removed by freezing with liquid nitrogen before they become malignant a...
Views: 435   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 15, 2014
by Rick Matthews
John Walker Dies In Prison
Navy Times confirms that this ass has paid the eternal price. Glad to hear it. Celebrating now!
Views: 555   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 13, 2014
by Scott Clausen
More on the Possible Russian Resurrection of a Soviet Weapons System - See My Posting of 16 Aug 14
See the linked site for a possible variation of the weapons system discussed by my posting of 16 Aug 14. This would appear to be a missile deposited on the ocean floor to be activated remotely - how not discussed - in the event of hostilities. This avoids the p...
Views: 838   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 11, 2014
by Bruce Rule
UPDATE: Deadline for 20 SeptIUSS 60th tickets is 14 Sept 2014
Tally for 20 Sept IUSS 60th Reunion reaches 260 attending (and 150 have RSVP'd for the Friday night Happy Hour on 19 Sept). Last day to order tickets is Sunday, 14 September. Website will be shut down at midnight that night. For those still interested in attending...
Views: 346   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 10, 2014
by CAPT Jim Donovan...
Off Topic: Hearing Aids
Upon receipt of a mailing from "Hear Here," a Louisville firm that sells Beltone hearing aids, I sent them the following email in an effort to determine if their claim of "improved clarity" has any basis in fact. Will advise if they respond. The circular I receive...
Views: 485   Replies: 18
Last Post: Sep 09, 2014
by jack spencer
Recent Wales Visit
Just returned from visiting my wife's family in Wales. My mother-in-law turned 100 years old on 2 August and continues in fairly good health, she received a card from Queen Elizabeth II. My father-in-law is 90 years old and takes care of her at home. All of her broth...
Views: 447   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 09, 2014
by jack spencer
FLASH! REUNION UPDATE: Request for assistance
Greetings all. As of today we have 241 individuals signed up for the reunion and I look forward to seeing everyone there. The 9 individuals on our committee who have planned and coordinated the event over the last 18 months have done more than I could have expected...
Views: 494   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 08, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Be vigilant
Now that we know ISIS intentions, we can expect at least one attempt to attack our country. This could happen on the anniversary of 9/11 or at any time. I work for the Salvation Army Kroc Center in Biloxi, Ms. and what better location for them to attack a Christian...
Views: 402   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 06, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
labor day
im surprised that no one has posted for labor day...? its not as "hot" or fitting as vets day but, still the same, its part of what made America...age is an interesting thing, I find myself thinking more and more about the past and old friends and what could have be...
Views: 448   Replies: 4
Last Post: Sep 03, 2014
by Chuck
France Takes Action Against Russia
Ukraine crisis: France halts warship delivery to Russia France has said conditions are "not right" for delivery of the first of two Mistral assault navy ships to Russia. President Francois Hollande's office blamed Moscow's recent actions in Ukraine. France h...
Views: 332   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
T building
Was up in argentia during the early to mid eighties. Had a buddy named Don, can't remember his last name but he left around July of 83. He was a young civilian working at the Navfac in the T building, does anyone remember a guy that fits that description?
Views: 386   Replies: 1
by Russ Burkhard
UPDATE: 1 September 2014
Latest Update on the 228 attendees currently signed up (and paid) for the IUSS 60th Anniversary dinner in Norfolk, Virginia on 20 September 2014. It's not to late to purchase tickets. Go to our website at IUSS60th.org CAPT Jim Donovan, USN (Ret) Director, IUSS...
Views: 527   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 02, 2014
by Director, IUSSCA...
Golf in Virginia Beach
I just visited the website for the reunion and the picture for the golf event caught my eye. Is that John Ellis teeing off for a practice round at Oceana? I think the two mountains in the foreground give it away. That\'s Mt. Trashmore on the left and Mae West on t...
Views: 451   Replies: 5
Last Post: Sep 01, 2014
by Chuck Cable
Vocal Rendition of Taps
I think this vocal rendition of Taps by Mel Carter is the best I've ever heard....I never realized there were words to it, but I hear that every Boy Scout knew that. :) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ccduz30yvd0
Views: 424   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 31, 2014
by jack spencer
Passing of OTACM Hinshaw
It is vary sad to report the passing of OTACM Dave Hinshaw on July 21, 2014 in Oak Harbor WA. Information can be found at www.whidbeynewstimes.com I had the opporunity to work with him and hang around at times. A truely great man, father and friend.
Views: 491   Replies: 2
by Greg Showalter
Bruce's posts
Just think what could have happened if we had the internet in the "old" days. Wow, it would have been very informative and I believe we used it to its best advantage. I have learned more reading the technical posts. Before everyone jumps in and says the info would ha...
Views: 509   Replies: 1
by Bruce Rule
23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32
Visits: