IUSSCAA Message Board
Start a New Topic 
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
Detailed Image of an AKULA Class SSN Maneuvering Thruster System Also Employed by BOREY Class SSBNs
If you go to http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-338.html, linked below, and scroll down to the fourth image, you will find a photo of one of the two maneuvering thrusters used by AKULA Class Russian SSNs. The caption - machine translated immediately below - indicate...
Views: 402   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 15, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Spectacular KILO Imagery on a Russian Website (with reference fixed)
http://militaryrussia.ru/blog/topic-211.html, linked below, provides spectacular imagery of the six-bladed Project 877 KILO, the skewed, seven=bladed Project 636 KILO and the Project 877V, the ALROSA, 877V, with a pump jet (11-vaned stator, seven-bladed rotor
Views: 421   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 14, 2014
by Rick Greatting
Tickets now on sale for IUSS 60th Anniversary - 19-21 Sept 2014
TICKETS AND REGISTRATION NOW AVAILABLE AT http://iuss60th.org/ IUSS 60th Anniversary Weekend 19-21 September 2014 Waterside Marriott Hotel - Norfolk, Virginia The IUSS-CAESAR ALUMNI Association is proud to sponsor the IUSS 60th Anniversary celebration and ho...
Views: 1088   Replies: 8
Last Post: Jul 14, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Russian Scale Model of the BOREY Pump Jet Shroud and 9-Bladed Rotor
The link below gives you a good idea of the design characteristics of the 9-bladed BOREY Class Russian SSBN Pump Jet rotor. There are significant difference between a pump jet rotor an a conventional screw.d
Views: 347   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 13, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Most famous person you ever got to meeet
OK, I'm bragging now but this was really cool......though I didn't realize it at the time. Here's the scene...... Got the daywatch at Kef Brief time and the CO (Dick Porter) comes into Display with the oldest and smallest O-6 in the Navy. After the brie...
Views: 886   Replies: 41
Last Post: Jul 12, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Lead Project 885 (YASEN) Class), the SEVERODVINSK, Problem
Following quote from the Oct 9, 2013 issue of the BARENTS OBSERVER: "The newspaper Military Industrial Courier this week reports that navy sailors are not at all satisfied with the technical readiness of the submarine (SEVERODVINSK) after the last few months of te...
Views: 317   Replies: 0
by Bruce Rule
Chinese nuclear submarines
Chinese building up it's nuclear submarine fleet. New report shows three of them in port.
Views: 407   Replies: 0
by Dick Vermeulen
Dimensional Data and Design Characteristics of the BOREY Pump Jet Propulsor Derived from Open Source
The BOREY pump-jet shroud is a conic section with a decrease in external diameter fore to aft from 19.6 feet (6.0m) to 14.2 feet (4.3m) over a distance of 16.3 feet (5.0m) measured along the axis of the hull, a decrease in the cross-sectional area of 48 percent. T...
Views: 817   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 11, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Lost Contact (820)
If anyone has any contact information on the following folks please respond to 66seashells@gmail.com. Terry Babcock (Big Bird) Bermuda 74-78; Karen Clarke-Hansen Bermuda 83-87; Bob Eller Bermuda 74-78. CEC
Views: 598   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jul 09, 2014
by Brett Beedles
China is wide awake
Shouldn't we be seeing what they (Russia and China) are doing? Shouldn't we be building up our Navy instead of downsizing it? I know we spend over 500 billion a year on the military defense but Mr. Obama doesn't seem to understand that these countries are not our b...
Views: 461   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 08, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Top Secret Submarine Base
This based (ref. link) is located in Idaho. Just posted it for anyone to read. Found it on STEVE QUAYLE website.
Views: 658   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 06, 2014
by David Popejoy
Cuban Missile Crisis and Russian subs
I watched a program (Sunday 29 June) about the Cuban missile crisis. There were four Russian diesel submarines transiting to Cuba and were ordered to stop and wait in the Sargasso Sea. They did not get any communication with command and only received information fr...
Views: 466   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jul 05, 2014
by Marshall Pittman
4th and Arthur
Shipmates, hope All have a great 4th and also that Arthur did not impact you too much. Chuck & Linda
Views: 311   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 04, 2014
by Chuck & Linda Ca...
UPDATE: List of 121 tickets purchased for 60th - as of 2 July 2014
Last Name First Name # Dinner Abramsky Aaron 1 Ainsworth Bob & Patricia 2 Bailey David & Lois 2 Banks Paul 1 Baun Jennifer 1 Beedles Brett & Karen 2 Blauvelt Philip & Charlotte 2 Brandt Alan & Carrie 2 Burke...
Views: 432   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 02, 2014
by Jim Donovan
A Summary of BOREY and YASEN Class Submarine Characteristics Derived from Open Sources
NOTES TO THE READER The content and assessments provided by this posting are based entirely on open-source information. Sources are listed immediately below, footnoted in the text, and are listed again at the end of the posting to permit the posting to be a "stan...
Views: 2097   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 29, 2014
by Rick Greatting
Most Pump Jet Propulsors Have the Stator Before Rotor, Not the Reverse
Most pump-jet propulsor designs involve placement of the stator before the rotor; hence, the previously discussed UK Mark 50 torpedo has an 11-vaned stator forward of a 13-bladed rotor. The Project 877V Russian KILO Class SS, the "ALROSA." has an 11-vaned stator forw...
Views: 310   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 26, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Putin Christens new nuclear submarine
Russia is serious about rebuilding their military. You might find this good reading.
Views: 487   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 17, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Promotion to ABF2
My youngest son was ABF2 select off last exam. First attempt, reenlisting in June.
Views: 437   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jun 16, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
r
RussL
Happy Father's Day
Happy Father's Day to all of you SOSUS Dads out there. I hope you have a wonderful day and hear from all the kids !
Views: 285   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 15, 2014
by RussL
Randy Scott's "Mad Scientist" Responds
If having the intellectual curiosity to look beyond the data and ask “why” is a hallmark of insanity, then I take Randy's comment as a compliment. The current question those concerned should be asking is why the BOREY Class Russian SSBN has a pump-jet...
Views: 1092   Replies: 11
Last Post: Jun 14, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
UPDATE: List of 75 tickets purchased so far for IUSS 60th
For info. The IUSS 60th reunion is 3 1/2 months away. Thus far 75 tickets have been purchased for the dinner party. See below. Tickets are available at IUSS60th.org. Look forward to seeing everyone. - Jim Donovan Abramsky Aaron Ainsworth Bob & Patricia Baile...
Views: 456   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 13, 2014
by Jim Donovan
Loved it!!
My "OT" island mates!! HA! I loved the years in Antigua! I loved the years in Guam! I loved Japan! I would love to be in Antigua right now with the watch team playing tricks on other watch teams or our OWO! I remember when we lit up a marijuana training (smell i...
Views: 454   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 12, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
Membership paid.
Just wanted to let the association know that I payed my membership using Paypal. :)
Views: 397   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jun 11, 2014
by Irv DeMatties
MH370
Don't know if you've seen this article or not but you might find the last paragraph of interest where it mentions a possible 5 second acoustic detection of might have been the aircraft impacting the water. http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/missing-jet/malaysian-jet...
Views: 467   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jun 06, 2014
by Rick Greatting
SOSUS "watch floor"
For a forthcoming book on ASW to be published by the U.S. Naval institute we are seeking a hi-rez image (photo) of a SOSUS "watch floor"--showing the "smokey machines." Any assistance would be welcome. N. Polmar e-mail wordsmh@aol.com tel 703-941-5114 fax...
Views: 537   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jun 02, 2014
by Rick Matthews
Where are....
Does anyone know where Dan and June Miller are? I was stationed with Dan in Antigua 74-75. Thanks, jz
Views: 572   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 30, 2014
by Terry Clower
Chinese nuclear submarines
Recently, I saw a photograph of a group of Chinese jet attack aircraft. They were harassing a Japanese patrol plane. These jets were very modern and now we have the ocean with their submarines getting more modern every year! In my opinion, the Chinese are quickly...
Views: 463   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 28, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
c
Chuck
Memorial Day
To ALL who have served, are serving and those who have sacrificed all, Thank You For Your Service. Bless You Dad, WWII and Brother Bob, Vietnam. C. E. Cable CPO USN Ret
Views: 424   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 26, 2014
by Chuck
Iceland Visit
Anyone been back to Iceland lately. I've just booked a 2 day visit in Mid December to see if I can catch the northern lights. Would love to get them on film. Just noticed that although the tickets said Flight was to Reklavik, the airport is listed as Kef!!! Wonde...
Views: 521   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 22, 2014
by jack spencer
c
Chuck
Serve in Silence
Is this what is happening on this site???? Chuck
Views: 592   Replies: 3
Last Post: May 21, 2014
by Randy Scott
Second Retirement
With Ed Smock's recent announcement that he has no intention of retiring any time soon and Ron Smith soon to complete 48 years at ONI (plus 4 in the system), it became readily apparent to me that I was chasing Cal Ripken and Lou Gehrig and had no shot. So, on 04 A...
Views: 568   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 07, 2014
by Roberta Bolyard ...
Grand Turk Visit
During the first week of April my wife and I took a cruise which included a stop at the island of Grand Turk. I really wanted to tour the old Navy base which is now private property "TCI community college". I had been in communication with an employee of the facili...
Views: 573   Replies: 8
Last Post: May 07, 2014
by Chuck
r
Randy
Health Problems
Has anybody had respiratory problems working in those smoking rooms with all those electric recording pins burning across those chemically coated papers? I remember the filters on our communications equipment being clogged from the dust from those recorders.
Views: 548   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 06, 2014
by John Zeigler
60 Years Ago - 22 March 1954
On this day - 60 years ago, 22 March 1954 - I joined the “U.S. Navy”. Boot camp was at Bainbridge, MD. - I begin my journey toward the “Green Door”. My basic pay: E1 (under 4 months) $78.00 per month. Then it went to $83.20 a month “...
Views: 669   Replies: 12
Last Post: Apr 29, 2014
by jack spencer
Russian ship near Mayport Fla
Just noticed an article on line about a couple of Russian surface ships operating off the coast of the U.S. one of them being described as a submarine support ship. Looks like they are watching our subs. This article can be found at http://freebeacon.com/national-se...
Views: 568   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 27, 2014
by Rick Greatting
A Request and a Final Observation
With the hope that Russ will archive most of my recent posting, and the following quote from George Santayana, I end my participation on this site. Santayana: "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it." Best to all, Bruce
Views: 681   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 26, 2014
by Rick Matthews
Chinese OT'S
I would imagine that they already have a good OWO PUB LIBRARY thanks to their espionage efforts during the years. I would also add the help from US with technology that we sometimes SOLD to them! I hope they are NOT as good as some of the other NON-AMERICAN's that...
Views: 552   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 19, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
China Has Begun Listening for American Submarines - Undersea sensors could follow subs’ movements
Thought you might find this article on interest. Here is an interesting quote from this article in Proceedings. "To be sure, there’s more to setting up a listening array than merely planting hydrophones in the seabed. SOSUS owed its success to steady inve...
Views: 507   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 18, 2014
by Rick Greatting
Cut and paste the link and stand by.
I thought it was an amazing rendition. What do you think?? CEC
Views: 577   Replies: 6
Last Post: Apr 17, 2014
by Webhamster
Flight 370
Conspiracy theories abound on the happening of flight 370. It does seem strange that the plane debri has not been found yet. Also, how did this pinger just show up in an area just by chance? The Chinese picked it up just by chance? Could this plane have been hija...
Views: 446   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 17, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Funeral Arrangements for Ed Haney
I’ve been contacted by Ed Haney’s family with the arrangements for Ed’s funeral. Here they are: The Family will receive friends at the Hollomon-Brown Funeral Home, Kempsville Chapel, Thursday April 17 from 6:00PM to 8:00PM. The Funeral...
Views: 445   Replies: 2
Last Post: Apr 16, 2014
by Chuck Harding
We have OUR "Red October" in the works!!
I came across the article (in link) and thought I would share it with you. I think it will REALLY be an improvement and I sincerely hope that we continue to advance in our Navy as the Russians and Chinese are doing. Chances are, unfortunately, they already have rec...
Views: 469   Replies: 1
Last Post: Apr 15, 2014
by Bruce Rule
Russia and two new nuclear subs
I think it is a huge mistake for our dismantling and weakening our military while Russia and China are building up theirs. They have been using OUR technology for years and just incorporate theirs here and there as they build the aircraft or ship. I feel that they...
Views: 417   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 15, 2014
by Dick Vermeulen
NAVFAC Barbados
As luck would have it, I found this website and recognized some individuals in the photos of NAVFAC Barbados. I also was stationed there in 1969. Although I wasn't involved in the function of the base, I was responsible for maintaining the cooling for the delica...
Views: 453   Replies: 7
Last Post: Apr 11, 2014
by Ed Dalrymple
11 APR 2014 UPDATE: IUSS 60th Anniversary/Reunion 20 September 2014
Greetings all. I thought it would be a good time for an update on the upcoming IUSS/SOSUS 60th Anniversary and Reunion which is 5 months away. The venue (Waterside Marriott Hotel, Norfolk Virginia) has been selected and contract signed for 300 people with optio...
Views: 1061   Replies: 0
by Jim Donovan
Blue Angels air show (9/20-21, 2014)
To "All Hands" I recently learned that the Blue Angels have resumed an active air show schedule for 2014. As it so happens, they will be performing at NAS Oceana, Virginia Beach on September 20th and 21st of 2014 - the same weekend as the IUSS 60th reunion. As...
Views: 343   Replies: 0
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
Passing of Ed Haney
I am sorry to report the passing of former OTC & LDO LT Ed Haney. From what Ed & Pat Haney’s daughter Pam told me Ed was attending a Moose Lodge Convention in Orland, FL and that she had been contacted by the Orlando Police Department informing her that Ed was...
Views: 541   Replies: 11
Last Post: Apr 10, 2014
by Rick Greatting
ID Card
Does anybody have an expiration date on their ID card ? I got a new one today and they put and expiration date on it, any guesses as to why ?
Views: 506   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 10, 2014
by Jim Wheeler
Remembering Jim Lapp
Remembering Jim Lapp Jim’s wife Shirley has invited any of Jim’s friends that can make it to a “Remember Jim” open house on 18 May from 2-5 p.m. She said Jim’s birthday would have been May 12. Her address: 637 Cardamon Ct. V.B. 23464....
Views: 436   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 07, 2014
by Ed Smock
Let's see you top this....
In my opinion, Diana Nyad's 53+ hour 2013 swim from Cuba to Key West is the most amazing athletic accomplishment in history. I'll certainly entertain dissenting opinions. Nick
Views: 641   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 05, 2014
by AB
25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34
Visits: