Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
My Wfe Mary
Mary is in the intensive care unit of Fairfax hospital. She has a bleeding brain disorder and it is day to day. We will not know what the prognosis will be until the swelling has gone down. Request she be remembered in your prayers. Thank you. Ed
Views: 310   Replies: 27
Last Post: Nov 23, 2023
by Bill Turner
Kef
Sad news. Looks really bad for Keflavik and Grindavik. Thousands of volcanic tremors for about a week now. Everyone has apparently been evacuated. If you look at recent pics of the NATO base, it looks better than when I left 42 short years ago. Hate the thought th...
Views: 157   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 23, 2023
by Bill Turner
Another msg for Jack Spencer
Jack, Not sure what in the ^$^&(()* I did but somehow I blew up my contact list and lost ur e mail address again. Pls send again to patriellis@gmail.com. TX in advance. John
Views: 110   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2023
by John Ellis
Navy creates three new IT submarine ratings to promote specialization
If the can do this for the submarine IT community why can't they do it for the STG rating and and come up with and IUSS specialty? Just a thought, Rick https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/11/16/navy-creates-three-new-it-submarine-ratings-to-promote-s...
Views: 142   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 19, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Interesting article about Hatteras
https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-news/buxton-navy-bases-reminders-not-just-petroleum-in-soils/?fbclid=IwAR1ItBMqbuSESbqRRLh9lww-Rp0qfYZYWzJPXExPuHIbXXKnRGYqalOaOuM Buxton Navy base’s reminders not just petroleum in soils Petroleum spilled and...
Views: 155   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 16, 2023
by Russ Lownie
Passing of another shipmate
I want to pass along with sadness the passing of shipmate OTCM Ron Madden. My thoughts and prayers go out to his daughters and extended family. RIP my friend
Views: 251   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 09, 2023
by John Walther
54th Anniversary of Sadness
Today marks the 54th anniversary of the death of a NAVFAC watchstander in the line of duty. STG3 Robert "Bob" Koutelis died on the daywatch at NAVFAC Guam while attempting to save the lives of 2 USAF personnel who were trying to "surf" the large breakers on Ritidian...
Views: 186   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 09, 2023
by John Ellis
Reunion
I'm starting my planning for next year's travel so I am wondering if I should hold September 2024 for our IUSS reunion.
Views: 246   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 26, 2023
by Jim Donovan
c
Carlos
Open House
The TUSC PAC (Whidbey Island) open house is scheduled for the 16th of November, 2023. Family and friends can be invited by current command members.
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Oct 17, 2023
by Carlos
YSA anyone?
I went to buy some fresh Salmon today at Publix but they were out. But they did have fresh, unfrozen haddock from Iceland, AKA Ysa! Anyone who was in Keflavik will remember Ysa and the USO fish fry on Fridays, or going to the fish market in town and buying a large fi...
Views: 222   Replies: 8
Last Post: Oct 08, 2023
by Shawn(peeWee)
Chinese Submarine Missing?
Be interesting to see how this plays out. If it actually happened I feel truly sorry for the crew members on onboard. https://www.eurasiantimes.com/pla-submarine-missing-chinas-defense-minister-underground/?amp Rick
Views: 175   Replies: 1
Last Post: Oct 08, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Request for donations of Navy IUSS/SOSUS CPO items
Looking to offload some of those items in boxes and trunks in your cellars, garages and attics? Here is one opportuity. - Jim The CUS Command Master Chief is interested in building a CPO Heritage room to commemorate IUSS/SOSUS Chief Petty Officers. The intent i...
Views: 911   Replies: 9
Last Post: Nov 12, 2011
by Randy Scott
Where are they now?
O.K. guys (and gals) the message boards have bcome quite boring in the last couple of weeks. Let's start something new to generate interest. Got this idea from Tim Bevins - thanks, Timmy! How about a short, couple paragraphs on what you're doing these days. Wou...
Views: 3340   Replies: 55
Last Post: Dec 03, 2014
by Tim Snead
Fred Jones, the BRIDGE Site in North Norway and a Couple of Sea Stories
Upon returning from involvement with the THRESHER Court of Inquiry in late April 1963, the writer was told to be prepared to depart for Norway with zero advance notification. Then-LT Fred Jones, RCN, would be in charge of a team of two: he and I. As previously discus...
Views: 1433   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 15, 2013
by Bruce Rule
NOPF Dam Neck
Wondering how many folks here spent time at NOPF DN. I had the privilege of being the first soul there, before ground was even broken. I reported in to Capt. Paul Hryskanich (lovingly called "Scratch") at COSL... he had a letter of intent stating that he would be the...
Views: 214   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 28, 2023
by Gene Smith
OTCM Bill KEARNEY
I stumbled upon an obit in the May 2017 Virginia Pilot. It listed a Bill Kearney who had served 22 years in the Navy. The age at death would have been right and I know he retired from ASW school to Virginia Beach because I worked for him when he retired and was relie...
Views: 156   Replies: 1
Last Post: Sep 16, 2023
by Lorren Jackson
IUSS Longevity Recognition
I was catching up on recent posts on the site, especially those announcing Ed Smock’s passing and had a thought (doesn’t happen often according to my wife). Has anyone thought about developing a recognition plaque or trophy to be passed onto the longest s...
Views: 226   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 10, 2023
by John Costner
I wonder who's driving?
I was pretty surprised to read that the Navy decommissioned the USS Sioux City after less than 5 years of service. Clearly, this just continues the disastrous record of the Littoral Combat Ship (LCS) program. The Navy has also decided to halt the Zumwalt destroyer...
Views: 260   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 01, 2023
by John Zeigler
msg for Jack Spencer
Yo Jack, Tried to send you an e-mail and it was rejected due to out-of-date email address for you. How about updating by sending me an email to patriellis@gmail.com. TX John
Views: 129   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 28, 2023
by john (jack) spen...
Passing of OTM1 Clint Danielson
Just saw his obituary on Facebook. Had the honor and privilege to be stationed with him in the UK. https://www.westkjos.com/obituaries/clinton-danielson?fbclid=IwAR0RGU-GvTOlrtOYxJcuvgIhdXoHQX5CpojuLxzPJcQz_NwKUn2iDCrh3MY
Views: 153   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 26, 2023
by John Ellis
NAVFAC Centerville Beach Fire Dept.
I am looking to talk to anyone that may have been a part of the Fire Dept. at NAVFAC Centerville Beach. I am trying to get some history on the fire department that existed there. Any help would be great! Thanks, Nick Gregorio-Boston Fire Dept./US Air Force Reserve
Views: 385   Replies: 1
Last Post: Aug 19, 2023
by Tim Hall OT 3
Putting a title to the photos you have posted. Don't know how two of the same photo got printed eit
On Jan 12 2023 6:11, you posted two of the same photos I had submitted a while ago of two cable ships, the Thos and Aeolus. We had talked about this in the past about which was which and how a new format was in the works. I went over which was the Thor etc. now I...
Views: 132   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 13, 2023
by Raymond Sylveste...
2023 Issue of the Cable
Hello friends, It's that time of year again and we need your inputs if we're going to publish a newsletter this year. Please consider submitting a short story without worrying about your literary prowess. Our editorial staff will work with you to produce a product...
Views: 210   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 09, 2023
by Nick McConnell
Photo Library
I am in the process of moving the photo library. It will be unavailable for a day or 2. I hope to have a new version up and integrated by Monday July 9. Thank you for your patience.
Views: 200   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 06, 2023
by webmaster
Ed Smokey Smock
I just spoke with Ed's daughter Lori a few minutes ago. Ed passed away early this morning. I don't have any details for services or arrangements. Chuck Gagnon
Views: 278   Replies: 19
Last Post: Aug 03, 2023
by Jim Wheeler
A Tribute to Share
I am very much aware that Smokey is still with us and as we have all said in recent posts, we wish him longevity on this earth with ease and comfort. If I get over the top in my writings, He'll let me know in uncertain terms which he has done before. But, again, I...
Views: 258   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 02, 2023
by John (Jack) Spen...
Views: 213   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jul 24, 2023
by Ben Crawford
Integrated Undersea Surveillance System (IUSS) for the ADF 09/01/2021 By Australian Defence Business
Seems that the Aussies have taken an interest in a possible IUSS system of their own. https://defense.info/defense-systems/integrated-undersea-surveillance-system-iuss-for-the-adf/ Rick
Views: 131   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jul 10, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Military Retiree Dental
Now that I am retired (for the most part) and no longer eligible for my company dental coverage I need to find some dental coverage. Does anyone out there have any recommendations? I've been on the BENEFEDS site and looked at the multiple plan options but was hopi...
Views: 179   Replies: 12
Last Post: Jul 10, 2023
by Richard Bolin
Smokey's Health
I received the below "sitrep" from Smokey last night and where he is not fond of broadcasting his personal health, I think his health information and status are tremendously important to hundreds of his lifelong friends, especially his "system family". So, in keep...
Views: 225   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 08, 2023
by John Ellis
Jezebel 1950
My father, Joseph Schott, Fanwood NJ,worked on Eleuthera and Bermuda on Jezebel project, employed by Bell Labs in 1950ish. He is now 101 years old but can recall the minutest details and has photo records. My sister wrote a white paper on it and him. Interested?
Views: 266   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jul 01, 2023
by Robert Schott
Lenny Cormier
Leonard "Lenny" Cormier passed away 06 Dec 2019. Some of us will remember him as the NUWC rep for Project 611 at Key and Adak. Lenny was an irascible New Englander who became a good friend and thoroughly enjoyed working with the system.
Views: 147   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 24, 2023
by Scott Clausen
Some good news
Brenda is doing pretty good in her fight against MDS. Her last two regimens of Chemo were very effective and she tolerated the Ed’s well. She is both feeling well and looking well and thanks everyone for their love and prayers.
Views: 241   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jun 20, 2023
by Timothy Bevins
Passing of Cliff Walz
I regret to relay a report that our IUSSCAA member, NCC (Ex-OTC) Clifford J. Walz, USN (Ret) passed away from heart failure Saturday morning, 22 April. He was 85. Cliff was a plankowner OT who was serving as Career Counselor at Brawdy, 1975-77 when I knew him; he lat...
Views: 182   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jun 09, 2023
by Charles D Clark
Wired for Sound in the 'Near Seas'
China is deploying an ocean-floor surveillance network to strengthen its antisubmarine-warfare capability. https://www.usni.org/magazines/proceedings/2014/april/wired-sound-near-seas I just ran across this article for 2014 that I hadn't seen before and thought...
Views: 138   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jun 04, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Passing of Ex-Lt Emmett P. Bonner III
I am sad to report that Ex-Lt Emmett P. Bonner III passed over the bar on 16 May 2023. Cause of death was advanced cancer which was without symptoms until a few weeks before the end. Emmett served in the System at NAVFAC Argentia and at NAVFAC Lewes during the period...
Views: 108   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 29, 2023
by Robert R. Hickma...
A Bit Of Nutrition Info
As many here know I am a physical nightmare for most doctors to take on. Cardiovascular issues punctuated by very high blood pressure, Type 2 Diabetes with blood glucose levels that are very high, and Deep Vein Thrombosis which mandates that I take very powerful bloo...
Views: 194   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 27, 2023
by Rick Matthews
New T-AGOS Design
Check out the new design at: https://news.usni.org/2023/05/18/austal-usa-wins-detail-design-contract-for-navy-t-agosx-ocean-surveillance-ship?utm_source=USNI+News&utm_campaign=fd3a94afb9-USNI_NEWS_DAILY&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_0dd4a1450b-fd3a94afb9-230368177&mc_...
Views: 147   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 22, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Phil Brown Passing
All, I am so sorry to report on Phil’s passing. I first met Phil on San Nic in 1965. He was my friend and he meant a lot to me. Rest in Peace my friend. Philip Lee Brown | Obituaries | fauquiernow.com Take care – be safe. Ed
Views: 308   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 09, 2023
by L Jackson
Live The Life Aquatic By Buying This Ex-Navy Sonar Ship With A Rich History
Anyone interested in buying an ex-SURTASS ship (USNS Vindicator (T-AGOS-3))? Rick
Views: 186   Replies: 5
Last Post: May 09, 2023
by John Ellis
Arlington Internment Ceremony for OTAC Rick Foster - 26 June 2023
Teresa Foster (wife of Rick Foster) asked that I pass this info on to you. Rick passed away on August 1, 2021. - Jim “On June 26, 2023 at 2pm OTAC Richard “Rick” Foster, USN (Ret) will be interred at Arlington National Cemetery with full mi...
Views: 171   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 08, 2023
by Jim Donovan
Prayers For Great Neck Residents
Pretty unusual to have an ef3 tornado in VA Beach. Our prayers for those affected.
Views: 121   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 01, 2023
by Rick Matthews
Passing of Maurice (Mick) Roney
Just got word from Mick's wife that he passed away yesterday. Mick was at Centerville Beach 66-68, and Adak 68-69. A good man and a good friend. He will be missed.
Views: 126   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 01, 2023
by Rick Matthews
Seabees
I was assigned to the base in summer of '57. I was rated as CN, Draftsman. We were living in tents at the time and I was assigned to gate guard, which leads me to address the sign at the main gate. I was later assigned to run the paint shop as there was no need for d...
Views: 195   Replies: 9
Last Post: Apr 19, 2023
by Ed Smock
Passing of OTACS Jeff Eggleston
Received word that Jeff passed away on 02 March 2017 after a long battle with cancer. Ellen and I offer our heart felt condolences to Mary, Curtis and Jodie.
Views: 532   Replies: 8
Last Post: Apr 10, 2023
by OT2 SGM Tom Patt...
Loss of a Shipmate
It is with a heavy heart that I must report the passing of OTCS Robert L Wisdom. He went to sleep on Dec 9th and passed last night after a tough 5 month battle. Per his request there will be no celebration of life service. He will be cremated and his ashes spread nea...
Views: 354   Replies: 10
Last Post: Apr 04, 2023
by Gene Smith
2022 Newsletter
We didn't receive enough short story entries to generate a newsletter this year. I will save the few entries we did receive for next year. Thanks to those who submitted. Nick
Views: 244   Replies: 5
Last Post: Apr 03, 2023
by John Zeigler
We are devastated
We have learned that my wife Brenda has developed blood cancer called Myelodysplastic Syndrome.this is a Bone Marrow disease that has four levels of severity: low, intermediate, high and very high. Unfortunately, Brenda was diagnosed at the very high level.The averag...
Views: 426   Replies: 17
Last Post: Mar 30, 2023
by Rick Gates
Best Burger Joints
During my various journeys around the system I had occasion to visit some of the best burger joints on earth. For example, in San Diego it was Hodad's near my apartment on Ocean Beach. Later on I became addicted to The Steerburger at Boll Weevils (see link). Nick...
Views: 889   Replies: 35
Last Post: Mar 25, 2023
by Richard Hilts
Shipmate Search
Just wondering if anyone out there remembers Senior Chief Ray Skinner and whatever happened to him. I was stationed with him in Argentia in 1973 and never heard any more about him after that. Just one of those old-time thoughts.
Views: 301   Replies: 8
Last Post: Mar 15, 2023
by Bill Turner
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Visits: