Start a New Topic 
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
⚓️⚓️⚓️MAY UPDATE: IUSS/SOSUS 70th Anniversary/Reunion 20-22 September 2024
May 10, 2024 Fellow IUSSCAA Members, The IUSS 70th Anniversary Committee is pleased to invite you to the IUSS/SOSUS 70th Anniversary celebration weekend scheduled for 20 - 22 September 2024 with events taking place in the Norfolk and Virginia Beach areas. As a...
Views: 52   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 10, 2024
by Jim Donovan
Passing of ex-OT1 George Pfeiffer
Those of us who were stationed at Argentia in the late 1969s - early 1970s rememberGeorge. He spent many years at Arg and was a good shipmate and OT. Fair Winds and Following Seas George.
Views: 62   Replies: 7
Last Post: May 17, 2024
by John Ellis
Shipmate Death
Sadly we lost another icon of IUSS OTCM VanAlstine passed on May 11th
Views: 160   Replies: 11
Last Post: May 16, 2024
by Rick Matthews
MOST FAMOUS PERSON.
WHILE AT POINT SUR HELPED KIM NOVAK MONE FROM CARMEL TO A NEW HOUSE IN THE HILLS ABOVE HIWAY #1,
Views: 123   Replies: 4
Last Post: May 15, 2024
by Jim Wheeler
OTCM Ed Smock Internet at Arlington National Cemetery tomorrow
For those in the Greater Washington DC area, a reminder that Master Chief Ed “Smokie” Smock’s internment ceremony will be conducted tomorrow morning at 11 AM at Arlington National Cemetery. Hope to see you there.
Views: 143   Replies: 1
Last Post: May 12, 2024
by John (Jack) Spen...
VA expands care to vets exposed to toxins
Read an article in AARP today about this subject. Seems there was a new law passed in 2022 to deal with exposure to toxins. Anyone in our system tried to check this out with the carbon dust we had to breath for years?
Views: 39   Replies: 0
by John (Jack) Spen...
Mother's Day
An ode to the woman who first loved us and without whom we would be . . . well, we would not be!! ODE to MOM Oh, the joy, toil, and tribulations of Momdom, Will be heard till doth come the Kingdom. Band aids, blue jeans, doors ajar, toys astray, Loud noise...
Views: 39   Replies: 1
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
🌟🌟🌟 IUSS/SOSUS 70th Anniversary - Update and Request for assistance
🌟🌟🌟 I wanted to provide an update and ask for your help with our 20-22 September 2024 IUSS/SOSUS 70th Anniverssry celebration in Norfolk, VA. Website - @iuss70th.org Target number of attendees 150-200. Please visit our website to register and encourage...
Views: 115   Replies: 2
Last Post: May 10, 2024
by Jim Donovan
Passing of OTCM Nick Vanherpen
I'm saddened to relay a report from OTCM Werner Miller that our long-time friend and shipmate, Nick Vanherpen passed away at his Florida home on 8 April.
Views: 149   Replies: 9
Last Post: May 04, 2024
by John Hollister
RIP John Heizer
John Heizer, CPO ret., Passed away on May 2nd. Godspeed, John.
Views: 69   Replies: 0
by John Hollister
Wife back home
The power of prayer and good thoughts has Deb back home with us and presently doing very well. Thank you all very much.
Views: 76   Replies: 8
by Irv (Dee) DeMatt...
PASSING OF OT FRIEND
CARY HESS A OT FRIEND OF MINE PASSED AWAY MAY FIRST.
Views: 113   Replies: 0
Last Post: May 03, 2024
by WILLIAM ROGER CA...
Hatteras is in the new
Hatteras news article. https://www.wavy.com/news/north-carolina/obx/obx-local-leaders-urge-government-to-remove-former-navy-base-leaving-behind-pollution/ Rick
Views: 66   Replies: 0
Last Post: Apr 30, 2024
by Rick Greatting
We lost another.
Just saw where Greg Dyer passed away recently. Terrible news.
Views: 144   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 30, 2024
by John vogt
Seeking Prayers
Hello Shipmates, My lovely bride is currently in the ICU Battling severe kidney issues and is in need of your kind thoughts and prayers. Thank you all, John
Views: 153   Replies: 13
Last Post: Apr 11, 2024
by Rick Matthews
Back on Adak Dream
Last night I dreamed I was back in the Navy and on Adak. I reported to the terminal building and was in the display room. Someone offered to give me a tour to update me after 50 years. I followed him around the room but there wasn't really anything to show me, just s...
Views: 102   Replies: 4
Last Post: Apr 03, 2024
by Scott Clausen
Missing Aircraft (Bermuda Triangle?)
On 6/5/65 I was Communications Supervisor on San Salvador. A C-119 was reported missing while enroute to Grand Turk. I received a request via Order Wire to check our airstrip for the aircraft in question, and received a negative reply. On a clear, calm and pleasant a...
Views: 156   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 21, 2024
by Glenn Theron
🌟IUSS 70th Anniversary Website (ticket sales etc.) is Live! 🌟
The IUSS 70th Anniversary Committee is pleased to announce the launch of our Website for ticket sales and all things related to our 20-22 September 2024 70th Anniversary Celebration in Norfolk, VA. Please note a ticket price increase of $5 (to $65) from previously...
Views: 78   Replies: 0
Last Post: Mar 14, 2024
by Jim Donovan
FLASH! SOSUS RED.‼️☎️
Got your attention?😉 The IUSS 70th Anniversary Committee is making great progress on our September 20-22 Reunion in Norfolk, Virginia. Ticket prices are set at: $55 for the 20 September Golf Tournament. $70 for the 20 September Social and 21 September...
Views: 178   Replies: 1
Last Post: Mar 10, 2024
by Jane Wright
Jack Boxman
Does anyone know what the status of Jack Boxman is? Last I heard was that he might be living in Greensboro, NC. If you do, please email me privately at rickgreatting@gmail.com. Thanks, Rick
Views: 153   Replies: 2
Last Post: Mar 09, 2024
by Rick Greatting
Need Help Identifying Exposed Infrastructure at NAVFAC Cape Hatteras
Good morning! I think the entire message board may be interested in this topic, but also looking for input from NAVFAC Cape Hatteras alumni. The former site, located at America's first national seashore, has experienced significant erosion, leading to exposed infrast...
Views: 181   Replies: 0
Last Post: Feb 20, 2024
by Mike Barber
IUSS 65th Anniversary Keynote Address – 21 September 2019 Vice Admiral Chas Richard, U.S. Navy
I thought you might like to see big Navy's current thoughts on the IUSS - our history and todays operations. - Jim IUSS 65th Anniversary Keynote Address – 21 September 2019 Vice Admiral Chas Richard, U.S. Navy Introduction and Special Recognition &...
Views: 605   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 07, 2019
by Jim Wheeler
Useful Guidance Toward Productive Analysis
The following comments have been extracted from an essay on Dr Edward Teller and the Lawrence Livermore Radiation Laboratory which appeared on page 955 of the 23-30 Dec 04 issue of the UK science magazine NATURE. - Ideas blossom from imagination but they must be t...
Views: 1385   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 19, 2013
by Bruce Rule
IUSSCAA Photo Library
I just looked at some of the photos in the photo library and noticed that none of them have any comments associated with them. I also didn't see any way of adding a comment which probably explains why none of them have comments. Update still in progress?
Views: 184   Replies: 2
Last Post: Feb 04, 2024
by Michael Hein
CHG/COR: 14 January UPDATE - 70th Anniversary Norfolk, VA 20 - 22 Sept 2024
**This is a corrected copy that corrects my mailing address in section 5.** -Jim IUSS 70th Anniversary Norfolk, VA 20 - 22 Sept 2024 I thought I would update you on our planning committee’s progress to date. We met this past Friday. 1 - Contract was s...
Views: 199   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 17, 2024
by Jim Donovan
IUSS 70th Anniversary committee members.
IUSS 70th Anniversary committee members: Chairman - Jim Donovan Secretaries - Jerry and Gerry McDonald Treasurer - Christine Buswell Webmasters - Peggy Chadwick and Greg Clarkson Emcee - Paul Heim Fundraising - Keith Stevenson Golf outing - Steve...
Views: 145   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 14, 2024
by Jim Donovan
Removal from list
Who do I need to contact in order to be removed from the IUSS membership list? Thanks
Views: 238   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 09, 2024
by Edward Corona
Chuck Newhouse
Does anyone know an officer in our system named Chuck Newhouse (not sure of the spelling)? I made a presentation about my service, including my rating, at the local Daughters of the American Revolution (DAR) yesterday and one of the members asked if her nephew was in...
Views: 167   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 07, 2024
by ed dalrymple
The Navy is rebuilding its anti-submarine tracking system
I look forward to the day when AI can do the job of an experienced acoustic analysis but doubt that it will be in my lifetime. https://taskandpurpose.com/news/navy-underwater-anti-submarine-tracking-system/?utm_source=sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=mil-ebb...
Views: 337   Replies: 10
Last Post: Jan 06, 2024
by George Christian
New Year wish
With lots of love and respect, from our house to yours. Brenda and I wish you a Happy and safe New Year.
Views: 115   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 02, 2024
by John Costner
Happy 2024!!
Wishing everyone a happy and prosperous 2024! Things could be far worse for this planet, and we need to count our blessings each day!. Our Best Wishes To All, Rick and Joan Matthews
Views: 137   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 01, 2024
by John Vogt
Seeking Prayers
Seeking good thoughts and prayers for my older brother and shipmate, retired BMC James (JJ) Vogt who was recently diagnosed with lung cancer. He has a host of other health issues so he needs all the help he can get.
Views: 156   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 19, 2023
by John Ellis
Tricare Prescription Copay Increases
TRICARE PHARMACY DRUG COPAY INCREASES: 01 JAN 2024 A. TRICARE Home Delivery (Up to a 90-day supply) 1. Generic formulary drugs will increase from $12 to $13. 2. Brand-name formulary drugs will increase from $34 to $38. 3. Non-formulary drugs will increase...
Views: 143   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 17, 2023
by Jane Wright
50 Years Sailing Together
Today marks a major milestone in the lives of Ben and Marcy as we celebrate our Golden Anniversary . . . 50 years of good fortune, travel, adventure, joy, and marital bliss (a few thorns forgotten among the roses!) From our wedding in North Miami to our present home...
Views: 106   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 15, 2023
by John Vogt
old shipmates
Anyone out there have any contact with or know contact information for Don Krause or Bob Hart?
Views: 188   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 12, 2023
by John Vogt
Grinch's BOLO
It has been reliably reported by questionable sources that an invasion from the north is planned later this month by an anonymous person or persons described variously as “Satana Klaus aka Jolly Saint Nix” and other aliases. He is reported to have numerou...
Views: 134   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 11, 2023
by Jim Wheeler
The Remarkable Survival of the USS CHOPPER (SS 342) from a Depth Excursion to 1000 Feet
On 11 February, 1969, the USS CHOPPER (SS 342), a Guppy 1A diesel submarine, was operating submerged with the USS HAWKINS (DD 873) off the coat of Cuba in waters with and average depth of 1800 fathoms (10,800 feet). The linked document describes what happended to...
Views: 564   Replies: 8
Last Post: Feb 20, 2019
by Jane Wright
The annual email blast of the Cable is complete
The annual email blast of the Cable is complete The email blast of the 2023 copy of the Cable (IUSSCAA's newsletter) is complete. You should have an email from admin. If not, here is the text of the email that went out: The 2023 issues of the IUSS-CAESAR Alumn...
Views: 164   Replies: 3
Last Post: Nov 29, 2023
by Ron Doke
Missing submersible
I wonder if they should have expert underwater acoustic analysts on the P8 and P3’s? They could readily tell if reported “noises” were significant or routine ocean sounds.
Views: 328   Replies: 17
Last Post: Jun 27, 2023
by Robert Schott
Jean Robinson OT1 1978-1989
My wife Jean Robinson was a Veteran OT and was always very proud of that fact. Jean passed away on 07 November 2023 at the age of 65. As I was a STG2 Surface Sonar guy, she never gave me a break on who was better, OT's or ST's. You can only imagine how that went....
Views: 182   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 26, 2023
by David Annis
SOSUS Wall Street Journal artcle
https://pub10.bravenet.com/forum/static/post.php?usernum=774301397&frmid=32&msgid=0&cp=0
Views: 267   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 25, 2023
by Rick Matthews
***IUSS 70th Anniversary/Reunion Celebration, Norfolk, VA 20 - 22 September 2024
IUSS 70th Anniversary/Reunion Celebration, Norfolk, VA 20 - 22 September 2024 Mark your calendars. The IUSS 70th Committee is planning to host the IUSS 70th Anniversary/Reunion celebration “In Memory of OTCM Ed “Smokie” Smock, USN (Ret)” i...
Views: 166   Replies: 4
Last Post: Nov 24, 2023
by Jim Wheeler
My Wfe Mary
Mary is in the intensive care unit of Fairfax hospital. She has a bleeding brain disorder and it is day to day. We will not know what the prognosis will be until the swelling has gone down. Request she be remembered in your prayers. Thank you. Ed
Views: 298   Replies: 27
Last Post: Nov 23, 2023
by Bill Turner
Kef
Sad news. Looks really bad for Keflavik and Grindavik. Thousands of volcanic tremors for about a week now. Everyone has apparently been evacuated. If you look at recent pics of the NATO base, it looks better than when I left 42 short years ago. Hate the thought th...
Views: 150   Replies: 2
Last Post: Nov 23, 2023
by Bill Turner
Another msg for Jack Spencer
Jack, Not sure what in the ^$^&(()* I did but somehow I blew up my contact list and lost ur e mail address again. Pls send again to patriellis@gmail.com. TX in advance. John
Views: 105   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 21, 2023
by John Ellis
Navy creates three new IT submarine ratings to promote specialization
If the can do this for the submarine IT community why can't they do it for the STG rating and and come up with and IUSS specialty? Just a thought, Rick https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2023/11/16/navy-creates-three-new-it-submarine-ratings-to-promote-s...
Views: 135   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 19, 2023
by Rick Greatting
Interesting article about Hatteras
https://islandfreepress.org/outer-banks-news/buxton-navy-bases-reminders-not-just-petroleum-in-soils/?fbclid=IwAR1ItBMqbuSESbqRRLh9lww-Rp0qfYZYWzJPXExPuHIbXXKnRGYqalOaOuM Buxton Navy base’s reminders not just petroleum in soils Petroleum spilled and...
Views: 149   Replies: 7
Last Post: Nov 16, 2023
by Russ Lownie
Passing of another shipmate
I want to pass along with sadness the passing of shipmate OTCM Ron Madden. My thoughts and prayers go out to his daughters and extended family. RIP my friend
Views: 243   Replies: 5
Last Post: Nov 09, 2023
by John Walther
54th Anniversary of Sadness
Today marks the 54th anniversary of the death of a NAVFAC watchstander in the line of duty. STG3 Robert "Bob" Koutelis died on the daywatch at NAVFAC Guam while attempting to save the lives of 2 USAF personnel who were trying to "surf" the large breakers on Ritidian...
Views: 178   Replies: 1
Last Post: Nov 09, 2023
by John Ellis
Reunion
I'm starting my planning for next year's travel so I am wondering if I should hold September 2024 for our IUSS reunion.
Views: 242   Replies: 9
Last Post: Oct 26, 2023
by Jim Donovan
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
Visits: