The Lt. Columbo Forum

An area where fans from all over can ask each other questions and voice their own ideas and opinions on anything Columbo.

This Forum is fondly dedicated in memory of  "cassavetes45"  (Carleen Zink),
Columbo's greatest fan and a great friend to us all.
​​​​​​​​​​​​​​
The Lt. Columbo Forum
Start a New Topic 
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
What Do Dog And Columbo Have In Common?
The two of them are so typically suited for one another. They are a bit sloppy and sluggish...they both have cute little hang-dog faces....they are both adorable...they both put up an appearance as being slow, but neither of them are...they both love ice cream cones....
Views: 200   Replies: 7
Last Post: Sep 3, 2005 1:10pm
by Michael Shinn
Columbo's Favourite Things
ok...i went out on a limb and posted that thingy about "what do dog and columbo have in common"....so now i will go even further........ what are columbo's favourite things? what is his favourite meal?...besides chili...i think maybe lasagna. and what is his favou...
Views: 251   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 3, 2005 1:08pm
by Michael Shinn
r
Richie
What would Columbo's epitaph be? (Not Peter Falk's)
Hi me again! Hello to everyone :) Well, what would his epitaph be? I think, maybe "A good man.A great cop.". Regarding Peter's epitaph, I don't know, but the press headlines would definitely be 'Columbo dies'. Sorry to be so morbid!
Views: 360   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 3, 2005 10:36am
by LazyBoy
Columbo's new movie
Falk and Paul Reiser have a new movie coming out? WGN radio out of Chicago should be having an interview with them tomorrow, Sun 8/28, at 9 a.m. central. www.wgnradio.com has a "listen live" option. Just thought I'd let everyone know in case interested....
Views: 252   Replies: 3
Last Post: Sep 3, 2005 9:18am
by LazyBoy
Peter Falk in a new movie?
I was at the movies a couple of days ago and I saw that there is some movie with Peter Falk starring, or at least it will be out soon, I cant recall what it was called. What u ppl think of that?
Views: 238   Replies: 8
Last Post: Sep 2, 2005 5:19pm
by mat
d
David
Which episode was this??? I didn't see it in the Episode Guide.
I visited this site to research an episode I recalled, but I didn't find it in the Episode Guide. Maybe I just missed it (though I thought I looked pretty carefully, but, alas, I'm no Columbo). This was one of the later (ABC) episodes. Columbo is on the trail of a...
Views: 282   Replies: 2
Last Post: Sep 2, 2005 3:06pm
by Welshdragon
Another 'Columbo Car' on t.v.
UK viewers who watch the soap 'Sons and Daughters' will have seen in recent episode that the character 'Debbie' has been GIVEN a Columbo car - and it is grey!
Views: 236   Replies: 0
Last Post: Sep 1, 2005 5:48pm
by stephen
a
Art
Defective
I received Columbo Season #3 on DVD last week from Amazon.com and disc #1 in the middle of, "Double Exposure", the DVD disc freezes up, and I've received a couple of replacements from them and they both has the same defects. I sent them back for a refund. Here is wha...
Views: 272   Replies: 9
Last Post: Sep 1, 2005 1:02am
by Steinmetz
s
Steve
Posters
Hey all! Does anyone know if you can buy any big Columbo posters, and if so, where from? Was really hoping to get one of him doing one of his 'poses' (hand on the head thinking, or his hands in the air!). So far, all I can find on the internet is some small photos...
Views: 211   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 31, 2005 4:07pm
by Steve
Last Salute to the Commodore
I'm sure you've all got mixed opinions on "Last Salute to the Commodore", but wasn't it intended to be the actual final episode in the original series? Everybody seems to be drunk in it and playing it for laughs, especially Falk who sends himself up rotten!
Views: 506   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 31, 2005 12:15am
by cassavetes45
Where are the children?
Isn't it interesting that, from what we know, only 3 of the murderers in the 69 Columbos had kids. Cahill had a son in Mind Over Mayhem, Montoya had a daughter in A Matter of Honor, and Lamarr mentioned a son in Death Hits the Jackpot. (Step kids don't count, as in...
Views: 320   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 30, 2005 10:36pm
by John Stell
Forum Email Protocol
What is the deal with emailing someone from this site? If they post their email address, is it ok to just go ahead and email them if you want to? I am so unsure about this. Since we had a black-out....a power failure...earlier in the summer, I have had to add my na...
Views: 222   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 29, 2005 9:48pm
by cassavetes45
do they have kids or not?
Forgive my ignorance but I was always under the impression that the Columbos didn't have any children. Doesn't he say in Rest in peace Mrs Columbo that they were never blessed with children? Yet I can recall him in another episode saying he took his wife and son to a...
Views: 207   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 29, 2005 9:08pm
by cassavetes45
m
Mark.D
huh??!!
Cool! O! Evil Bum! is an anagram of "I love Columbo".
Views: 243   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 29, 2005 7:16pm
by cassavetes45
How long did it take to make an average Columbo episode?
Does anybody know how long they used to take to film a Columbo episode? For Season 1, I remember reading that they hastily put together the episodes, editing them at the last moment, before the premiere in September 1971. Didn't Falk fall sick during the making o...
Views: 257   Replies: 8
Last Post: Aug 29, 2005 7:49am
by Leighton Phillip...
Happy Birthday Benny
Happy Birthday to Ben Gazzara who is 75 years old today. Happy Birthday Benny.
Views: 204   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 28, 2005 5:41pm
by cassavetes45
OPINIONS ON "CANDIDATE FOR CRIME"
I recently watched this episode again and it has lost none of its original impact and ingenuity. For me it is one of the best episodes, for several reasons: It has an excellently realistic story, with good pacing; Jackie Cooper's well-judged, stern, gritty p...
Views: 381   Replies: 16
Last Post: Aug 28, 2005 12:18pm
by Michael Shinn
I Need Some Columbo Sleuths
Ok...so we just returned from our little summer house after vacationing for a few weeks...(in case anyone is interested we caught 36 crabs..not great..but not bad either)....ok...so I took Benny the Beagle out just now and what do I see in the driveway??? A stub of a...
Views: 289   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 27, 2005 4:55am
by cassavetes45
The Thing About My Folks
Hello everybody , I have returned. Peter Falk has a new film coming out on September 16, 2005 called "The Thing About My Folks". I hope it will be released here in Seattle. I hope I will finally get to see this film. Peter Falk has also some other films in the can...
Views: 230   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 26, 2005 9:00pm
by cassavetes45
Columbo's passions
I have been watching Etude in Black on my new series 2 DVD. In the episode Columbo says how much of a fan he is of Alex Benedict. It made me think if this is one of the few times we actually find out something which Columbo likes. Normally we only learn about his...
Views: 319   Replies: 21
Last Post: Aug 26, 2005 1:56pm
by Michael Shinn
Columbo on freeview (in UK)
Does anyone know if there are more Columbos due soon on freeview, it was great to see the 2003 Columbo recently but I want more.
Views: 298   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 26, 2005 1:40pm
by Paul
Upcoming UK episodes
Couldn't be bothered to type them all so just did a print screen WD
Views: 240   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 25, 2005 5:20pm
by mat
1974: Columbo's year of sleaze and grit
I'm in the midst of re-watching all the Columbos in order. Did you ever notice that several of the episodes aired in 1974 took some steps away from the swanky settings of most of the shows? PUBLISH OR PERISH - We have super-creep Eddie Kane and his little bomb he...
Views: 277   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 25, 2005 8:54am
by Steinmetz
2 JC Appearances????
I have noticed on this site in the section Guest Appearances that Cassavetes is listed as appearing twice. I have always just brushed it off as a tiny little mistake on an otherwise PERFECT web site. But I was poking around some other sites and I saw that a few of t...
Views: 240   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 25, 2005 2:35am
by cassavetes45
d
DJKLIP
Any news on when season #4 will be out?
Any news on when season #4 will be out? I see that there are only six episodes. Maybe they will package season #4 and #5 together. Season #5 also has only six episodes.
Views: 207   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 25, 2005 1:36am
by Eric Paddon
Famous Columbo fans
In the London edition of Time Out magazine. MTV presenter and XFM DJ Alex Zane is interviewed about his favourite TV. One of his 5 picks is Columbo he says, "One of my favourites is Columbo. I got into him when I was about 11 - you could dress like him and he was...
Views: 514   Replies: 7
Last Post: Aug 24, 2005 11:24am
by Michael Shinn
y
YM
"Publish or Perish" - Hilarious Scenes
Many of us can watch Columbo episodes over and over and still enjoy them even though we know the story because there are always new things to see and enjoy. I was just watching "Publish or Perish" again and I notices two fabulous scenes I had never paid attenti...
Views: 448   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 9:14pm
by Welshdragon
Your next episode
OK, you tell me your dream next episode -- guest star and setting. Keep it realistic: The guest has to be someone who'd actually be in a Columbo. That could be a popular TV star, and old-time movie star, a movie star on the decline, or someone who would do an episode...
Views: 291   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 4:26pm
by cassavetes45
You're the Professor
Okay, suppose the local community college hires you to teach a Saturday morning continuing education course on Columbo. The time frame allows you to show just ONE episode of Columbo to introduce the great detective to students who may not be familiar with him. Whic...
Views: 287   Replies: 17
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 2:35pm
by cassavetes45
Identity Crisis vs. By Dawn's Early Light
Usually, Dawn is the preferred choice by fans as the better of the two 70s McGoohans, but I would like to defend Identity as being (slightly) superior. 1. McGoohan's Col. Rumford is a brilliant character, but it is hugely enjoyable to see Patrick as a spy (pardon...
Views: 430   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 7:05am
by Steinmetz
Lt. Frank Columbo
Columbo's first name was FRANK. Universal Studio's "Columbo DVD" website (www.great-tv-shows.com/columbo) shows a clearer version of his I.D. where the name, "Lt. Frank Columbo," is clearly typed above his signature.
Views: 289   Replies: 14
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 2:25am
by Michael Shinn
Columbo falls down a hillside
I remember a particularly funny scene when Columbo slides and tumbles down a hillside where a wrecked car lies. Is The Greenhouse Jungle the episode where that occurs?
Views: 319   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 23, 2005 1:40am
by Lisa Susi
e
E
Desert Island Reversal
Suppose you had been lost on a desert island with a complete set of the original 45 Columbo episodes. Now you are being rescued, but you only have enough room to take 42 of the 45 episodes. Which three episodes of the original series would you leave behind? Assume...
Views: 356   Replies: 25
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 10:55pm
by Martin Ross
A Trace Of Murder
I will be watching this for the first time tonight...it is on the Biography channel at 9pm. I checked out the plot here in the Episode Guides. Except for Peter and Shera Danese...I have no idea who any of the cast is!! For those of you have seen it...is there anythi...
Views: 292   Replies: 11
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 5:52pm
by cassavetes45
m
mat
columbo on hallmark and sky
Hallmark Sunday 28th August By Dawn's Early Light 11am An Exercise in Fatality 1pm Troubled Waters 3pm Negative Reaction 5pm Forgotten Lady 7pm Monday 29th August By Dawns Early Light 2am Now You See Him 9am Last Salute to the Commodore 11am Ident...
Views: 173   Replies: 0
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 4:35pm
by mat
RIP Mrs. Columbo
Yesterday I saw RIP Mrs. Columbo and I am wondering why Vivian blame Columbo for arresting Pete (her husband) years ago. What I know was Pete arrested because defalcating money – is Columbo in charge of this?? Isn’t he in the homicide department??
Views: 243   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 3:00pm
by David
england
hello, has there ever been an episode/film shot outside the usa?? pleas e-mail me if you know.....ta
Views: 357   Replies: 38
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 2:00am
by cassavetes45
a
adrico
Coumbo on DVD
Hi. I am looking to buy Columbo on dvd and on the more reputable sites i ca only find series 1 2 and 3 released. BUT, on a couple of lesser know sites they are advertisig every single Columbo episode ever recorded available on dvd. (www.empiricalfilm.com, www.xxxbarg...
Views: 268   Replies: 12
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 1:37am
by Martin Ross
Again, What Season and What Episode?
Believe it or not, I am a huge columbo fan.. but for the life of me I cant remember the names of episodes. I have another for you.. Whats the episode.. something about him sitting in an office chair, and he questions the sweat on his back because he noticed it wi...
Views: 242   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 22, 2005 12:52am
by cassavetes45
m
mat
just stupid
Following on from Tommy Browns barbituates are the same as sleeping pills reasoning in swan song, what other just incredibly daft reasonings have killers came up with to try and satisfy Columbo over little details? God bless, Matthew
Views: 307   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 21, 2005 1:42am
by cassavetes45
y
YM
Comments on "Swan Song"
I too just received the latest DVD so I saw Swan Song for the first time. I know it is popular among the fans...I would rate it as okay, but not among the greatest. Similar to "Any Old Port" and "Conspirators" in that Columbo developes a liking for the murderer...
Views: 301   Replies: 9
Last Post: Aug 20, 2005 11:41pm
by Stuart
New Episode in the making?
Taken from Peter's site (bio section): In early 2005 Peter starred in Retirement along with George Segal and Rip Torn. At this time the 70th Columbo MOW is currently in development. Any ideas on what MOW stands for?
Views: 240   Replies: 2
Last Post: Aug 20, 2005 5:55pm
by Rob Thornsby
Cheapest set?
Hi from the UK, can I suggest a topic for your consideration. How about the cheapest set from a Columbo episode? My offering would be the UK passport control/luggage office from Series 2, Dagger of the Mind. The set was, to say the least, stark, not much in the wa...
Views: 236   Replies: 6
Last Post: Aug 20, 2005 12:21pm
by cassavetes45
y
YM
Comments on "A Friend in Deed"
Just saw this for the first time. WOW! Real eye candy. This is the finest directing job except for possibly "Murder by the Book" which Spielberg did. The sets and camera work were magnficent-kudos to Ben Gazzara. You felt like you were a police officer acccompan...
Views: 439   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 20, 2005 3:55am
by Joe
Kate Mulgrew as Mrs. Columbo
I have to disagree with you on the issue of Kate Mulgrew as "Mrs. Columbo." There's just too much circumstantial evidence to the contrary: In the opening credits of the premiere of "Mrs. Columbo," the viewer is shown a cigar that has burned out in an ashtray. It...
Views: 320   Replies: 15
Last Post: Aug 20, 2005 2:22am
by Ted
m
mat
etude
Five showed etude yesterday in place of swan song (gather due to recent news events) and Alex deserved to be arrested simply for killing the cockatoo. How sick was that! Also i felt that Columbo got pretty fed up with so many people in this one - either that or h...
Views: 367   Replies: 23
Last Post: Aug 19, 2005 11:02pm
by cassavetes45
Mrs. Columbo
I watched the Mrs. Columbo that comes on the 3rd season dvds and it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be....but it gave me a weird feeling...especially when I saw her with Dog. The opening credits showed a lot of the inside of the house and.....ok...this is going...
Views: 263   Replies: 10
Last Post: Aug 19, 2005 9:23pm
by cassavetes45
Famous actors who appeared in Columbo as 'unknowns' with 'bit parts'
There was; Jamie Lee Curtis around 1977 Katey Sagel around 1974 (as you may have guessed I am no good at remembering episode titles) Can you think of other examples of actors to add to the list?
Views: 1379   Replies: 13
Last Post: Aug 19, 2005 9:17pm
by cassavetes45
new episodes
What would you say, should Peter Falk should make new episodes this days or should he stop doing it due to his age and . IMO the older one are the best...
Views: 240   Replies: 4
Last Post: Aug 19, 2005 8:49pm
by Dave
d
Dirk
more Columbo villains
I enjoyed looking at everyone else's "killer" evaluations (pun intended - haw haw haw!). Here are my own next seven. I decided to pit some of the "new" episodes against the old and see how things turned out. Plus, there's the first female killer I've done. Enjoy!...
Views: 527   Replies: 3
Last Post: Aug 18, 2005 9:26pm
by cassavetes45