Illinois News Broadcasters Association Web Forum
Start a New Topic 
1 2
Topic
Author
Views
Replies
Last Post
INBA to Village of Winfield: Don't Ban Taping of Public Meetings!
INBA Past President Brian O'Keefe spotted an item in the Daily Herald that indicated the village of Winfield - while considering cable-casting their meetings - is also looking at banning private citizens in the audience from recording open village meetings. After...
Views: 340   Replies: 6
Last Post: Jan 25, 2005 1:02am
by Steve Scott
INBA's 50th Anniversary - More!
In addition to the aforementioned proclamation from Governor Blagojevich, INBA also received a very nice proclamation from Springfield Mayor Tim Davlin, declaring Saturday "Illinois News Broadcasters Association Day" in Springfield. INBA past president Ernie Slott...
Views: 144   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 24, 2005 3:46am
by Steve Scott
NEVER Give Up!
For the past seven years, the News staff at WCBU has paid their INBA dues out of their own pockets. Previous management didn't see it as important or worthwhile. But our new GM has said the expenditure will be covered. He says it makes sense for all of us to be...
Views: 188   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 21, 2005 7:03pm
by Will Stevenson
Governor declares Saturday, 1/22, "Illinois News Broadcasters Association Day" in Illinois
Governor Blagojevich has issued the following proclamation: WHEREAS, the Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA) is made up of broadcast journalists, educators and students from all accross the state of Illinois; and WHEREAS, since its inception a half-ce...
Views: 220   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 21, 2005 6:58pm
by Will Stevenson
k
KWMU
KWMU host dies unexpectedly
Our well-known and beloved host here at KWMU, Mike Sampson, has died. He was host of KWMU's "St. Louis on the Air" and "Cityscape" programs. Sampson was found dead at his home Thursday. The cause of his death isn't known. Producer and director Mary Edwards said...
Views: 334   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 21, 2005 10:28am
by Scott Simon
Decatur Convention
UPDATE! The INBA Decatur convention Web site has been updated and new pages have been added. Take a look and be sure to register for the convention! The convention site can be reached through the Conventions page on this Web site. See you in Decatur April 22-24...
Views: 160   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 19, 2005 11:34am
by Jim Paul
Good places to post job openings
WNIJ in DeKalb is on the verge of starting a search for a reporter/anchor. It's a full-time public radio gig, and I'm looking for advice on interesting, creative, and effective places to post our job listing. Of course, INBA is right up at the top of the list. Bu...
Views: 169   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 19, 2005 9:41am
by Bill Raack
Worst Weathercast in Television History?
Think you're having a bad day on the air? Cut and paste the following into your browser: http://oak.cats.ohiou.edu/~anderse1/bloopers/bloopers.html Think it's real? Sure looks like it! ss
Views: 141   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 18, 2005 6:56am
by Will Stevenson
Cameras/mics allowed in high profile St. Louis trial
Trial opens in murder of Casey Williamson By William C. Lhotka Of the Post-Dispatch Wednesday, Jan. 12 2005 Johnny Johnson beat 6-year-old Cassandra "Casey" Williamson with a brick at an abandoned glass factory in Valley Park, then attempted to rape her a...
Views: 112   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 17, 2005 9:10am
by Scott Simon
INBA Winter Board Meeting - Agenda
The Board of Directors of the Illinois News Broadcasters Association (INBA) will meet on Saturday, January 22, 2005, at 10:00am, at the Leland Building, 333 South 6th Street, Springfield, Illinois. Our board meeting is being held on the exact 50th anniversary of...
Views: 235   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 16, 2005 5:52pm
by Steve Scott
j
Jay
"Gay Rights"
I had a listener call - suggesting the term "gay rights" infers "special" rights and thus plants a negative connotation in one's mind. She would prefer that we term them "equal" rights...arguing that gays are not seeking anything more than anyone else is already e...
Views: 134   Replies: 4
Last Post: Jan 14, 2005 2:11pm
by Charlie Schlenke...
m
Mary C
Coroner's Inquests
Are coroner's required to give public notice of an inquest like other taxing bodies? I have a good working relationship with our local coroner and have asked for inquest dates but he has never contacted us in advance.
Views: 139   Replies: 3
Last Post: Jan 14, 2005 8:09am
by Jay
Coroner's Inquests
Have a question for y'all... In a little more than two-years at WGIL, not to mention 10-years in broadcasting, I've never covered a coroner's inquest before last night. Fortunately, it was a pretty cut and dry event. So covering it was a piece of cake. I was...
Views: 119   Replies: 5
Last Post: Jan 14, 2005 12:49am
by Steve Scott
Pet Peeves - Time and Temperature
More pet peeves after hearing WGN-TV Sunday report an accident, "it happened at 2 a.m. Saturday night." Wow. I didn't know Channel 9 used cuckoo clocks. When does Sunday morning begin for them? Think the next time about A.M. or P.M. in a story. If you do, make...
Views: 163   Replies: 9
Last Post: Jan 11, 2005 10:21am
by Jay
k
Katie
need a pronouncer...
Could someone please help me? For my own future reference, I need a pronouncer on the last name of Gary Skoien, who has put his name in for chair of the state Republican party. Thanks, Katie
Views: 117   Replies: 1
Last Post: Jan 6, 2005 9:23pm
by JoeyH
Tollway footage
During coverage of the season's first major snow storm I saw that Channel 5 extensively used the feed from "their tollway cameras". Based on the thread earlier does anyone know if other media outlets were given access to these images for their coverage of the storm....
Views: 139   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 6, 2005 7:29am
by Brian O'Keefe
All Sound Stories
I tried...not very well I may add...to put together an all sound piece the other day. NBC Nightly News calls them "In Their Own Words"...I'm sure other stations call them something else. I think they sound good (when done well)...What success have you had with these...
Views: 131   Replies: 2
Last Post: Jan 4, 2005 11:12am
by Kim Boomer
St. Louis Post Dispatch Photographer Arrested
A St. Louis Post Dispatch photographer was arrested over the weekend in the suburb of Berkeley. They accused Gabriel Tate was interfering with emergency crews at an accident scene. They took his camera and impounded his car - and no charges have been filed against hi...
Views: 128   Replies: 0
Last Post: Jan 4, 2005 9:23am
by Scott Simon
Reporting At Risk
(From the Washington Post) By Christopher J. Dodd Tuesday, December 28, 2004; Page A19 Imagine that you are an employee at a large corporation, and you learn that your company is dumping highly toxic waste, contaminating the local water supply. You consider c...
Views: 142   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 31, 2004 8:30am
by Scott Simon
Metro Source seeks a per diem fill-in Editor
The Illinois Metro Source bureau in Springfield seeks an individual to be called upon to work as the fill-in editor for the Metro Source downstate Illinois daily news summary. The ideal candidate will have radio news writing, audio and editing experience,live in...
Views: 266   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 30, 2004 11:51am
by Scott Simon
INBA Spring 2005
In case you missed it at the top of the INBA homepage... Registration for the Spring 2005 INBA Convention in Decatur is now open. You may download a registration form or register online by going to the conventions section of this web site. Register early and te...
Views: 133   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 27, 2004 2:52pm
by Jim Paul
error in INBA pronunciation guide?
I was looking up the pronouncer for Fort De Chartres state historic site. On page 49 of our trusty INBA publication it said the correct pronouncer was "FORHT-duh-CHAHR-ters. However... in checking around I'm told it is FORHT-duh-SHART. Can anyone shed any ligh...
Views: 174   Replies: 6
Last Post: Dec 24, 2004 7:58am
by JoeyH
Connecting the Dots
Here's one... Police find a local priest severely beaten in a local park known to be a meeting place for homosexuals. Officers found him there alone, at 10 at night, in the winter. Everyone is thinking the same thing...people know the park's history. So my questi...
Views: 139   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 23, 2004 10:02am
by Scott Simon
Happy Holidays!
I'd like to take a quick moment to wish every one in INBA - and other visitors to our web site - a safe and happy holiday season. This is an exciting time for INBA. We're involved in quite a few things right now...all aimed at protecting - and even expanding - yo...
Views: 118   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 22, 2004 8:29am
by Steve Scott
Alleged Question
I am not a big fan of "alleged"...but I have a question that I've been scratching my head over. When someone is charged for a crime, do we have to say they are charged with allegedly murdering/raping/stealing? I usually say "police say he/she murdered/raped/stole"...
Views: 156   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 21, 2004 2:28pm
by Scott Simon
j
Jay
Jim French Retires
This was posted by Jay LeSeure, PD/OPS Mgr. at WCMY/WRKX on another board...and, he says, he's taking applications. I say...this is a loss to the industry - a great opportunity for someone to work at a great couple of stations - and, enjoy retirement Jim! Yo...
Views: 135   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 18, 2004 8:16am
by H
Dumb Question - Why Doesn't INBA Have A Hall Of Fame
I've missed out a lot being away from Illinois for 15 years. When I first joined in '77, INBA was only 23 years old. Now it's 50. Why don't we have a Hall of Fame? With enough history behind us, it's time for one. Everyone else has one. Why? Because it's some...
Views: 160   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 18, 2004 8:06am
by H
m
Mary C
INBA calls on state police to lift gag order
Kudos to Steve, INBA got a lot of press on radio andin newspapers. Our local paper in Sterling even picked up on it. Great job!!
Views: 137   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 18, 2004 2:57am
by Mary C
INBA Calls on State Police Director to Lift Gag Order
The letter below has been sent to ISP Director Larry Trent, with cc's to Governor Blagojevich and Lt. Governor Quinn. ss Larry G. Trent, Director Illinois State Police 125 East Monroe Street, Room 103 P.O. Box 19461 Springfield, IL 62794-9461...
Views: 204   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 17, 2004 9:27pm
by Will Stevenson
New Open Meetings Act/FOIA complaints
New issues around Springfield: Don Craven is planning a lawsuit against the Southern View Village Board. People trying to attend a meeting this week couldn't get inside Village Hall. A man was arrested when he tried to address the board and couldn't get an answer...
Views: 127   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 17, 2004 11:23am
by Scott Simon
SINBA Awards
This morning I sent off entry forms and contest rules for the '05 SINBA Awards, which will be awarded at the Decatur convention. If anyone knows of a school in Illinois that has a program like the ones at EIU, SIU, Northwestern, ISU, WIU, Bradley, etc. - WITH STUD...
Views: 115   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 16, 2004 5:38am
by Tom Weber
Congrats to the AP!
From the Associated Press: SPRINGFIELD, Ill. (AP) - Illinois Governor Rod Blagojevich's top education officials planned a meeting today to discuss policy priorities - but didn't want too many people to know about it. The State Board of Education canceled th...
Views: 152   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 16, 2004 5:23am
by Steve Scott
Party For Obama - Too Cozy??
from Feder - I know nothing about these stations and what they do in news. Sez * Three Clear Channel Radio stations are sending U.S. Senator-elect Barack Obama off to Washington with a party fit for a political rock star. WGCI-FM (107.5), WVAZ-FM (102.7) and WGRB-...
Views: 178   Replies: 2
Last Post: Dec 15, 2004 4:01pm
by JAKMAN
Scholarship applications
Attention Students or those of you who know students. The scholarship application information is posted. Please go to scholarships and get started on applying NOW. Thanks. Michelle Eccles INBA Vice-President Honors and Awards Chair
Views: 122   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 15, 2004 3:47pm
by Michelle Eccles
"Sunshine Week" to push for open government
From the Associated Press: Journalists launch 'Sunshine Week' to press for government openness WASHINGTON (AP) - The head of a journalists' panel says government efforts to clamp down on the flow of information after Nine-Eleven have turned ``the basic conce...
Views: 104   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 15, 2004 8:14am
by Steve Scott
First Amendment
Just when I thought there is nothing new: An incident developed in Morrison regarding First Amendment rights of high school play by play. The play by play team we selected to broadcast the games triggered a call from the school athletic director recently say...
Views: 141   Replies: 3
Last Post: Dec 14, 2004 3:31pm
by Scott Simon
LaSalle Bank Fire
I read with, at times, great disgust Feder's column today. It contained letters from readers either complimenting or complaining about the wall-to-wall coverage most stations did on the LaSalle Bank building fire. What bugged me the most was people who complained t...
Views: 136   Replies: 5
Last Post: Dec 10, 2004 4:53pm
by Jay
Tribune Editorial on Federal Shield Law
Excellent Trib editorial today on the federal shield bill. Here's the link...hopefully, you can copy and paste to your browser: http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/opinion/chi-0412090126dec09,0,7354733.story?coll=chi-newsopinion-hed Steve Scott INBA Presi...
Views: 123   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 9, 2004 7:45am
by Steve Scott
Miller and Cooper Have Their Day in Court, Again
(from editor & publisher) Miller and Cooper Have Their Day in Court, Again By Joe Strupp Published: December 08, 2004 5:00 PM ET NEW YORK A three-judge panel of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the D.C. circuit heard arguments today on behalf of two repor...
Views: 116   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 8, 2004 5:56pm
by Ron Brown
My First FOIA
I am writing my first FOIA letter. The form on the INBA web site is a great tool, and people who haven't used it will be glad it is there if they ever decide to FOIA something. On the subject of FOIA, is it me or are newsmakers becoming more difficult (Not just at...
Views: 151   Replies: 9
Last Post: Dec 2, 2004 8:52am
by Steve Scott
h
H
Reporter's location
I would, in a way, like to continue the conversation on pet peeves. I preface this note with what most of you know ... I don't do daily news and don't face this scenario in my own reporting. (Plus, the previous sentence gave me an oppotunity to use an ellipsis!) Ton...
Views: 173   Replies: 4
Last Post: Dec 2, 2004 8:09am
by Scott Simon
Jim Taricani's Statement Of Dec. 1
Statement read by Jim Taricani on Dec. 1: Last week Providence attorney Joseph Bevilacqua disclosed his identity to the Special Prosecutor and testified under oath that he was the person who gave me the "Corrente" videotape. Only after he did so, did I confirm to...
Views: 147   Replies: 1
Last Post: Dec 2, 2004 12:09am
by Will Stevenson
Spring 2006 Convention
We need someone to Chair our Convention for Spring 2006 which is supposed to be in the Chicago Metro area. We do not have a venue or date yet. Anyone who is interested or has suggestions as to who would be a good chair, please let me know. Michelle Eccles INBA V...
Views: 159   Replies: 0
Last Post: Dec 1, 2004 8:12pm
by Michelle Eccles
Who's Murder Trial Is It?
Question? Who's Murder Trial Is It?... Is it the defendant's trial or the victim. I hear stations saying both. Example..."Jurors are expected to hear closing arguments in Anthony Grimm's murder trial." Grimm is the defendant. Or "Day three in Tonia Smith's murder t...
Views: 201   Replies: 0
Last Post: Nov 22, 2004 7:14am
by Benjamin Yount
1 2
Free Forum powered by Bravenet